Halo Top

Options
If you buy Halo top ice cream, ever notice the skimpy amount in the carton? It says 3.5 servings but when I open them, there's literally 1.5 servings missing. So I made my own. Now I have 5 servings with only 5 ingredients. Still tweaking it but at least I'm not getting jipped.

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you buy Halo top ice cream, ever notice the skimpy amount in the carton? It says 3.5 servings but when I open them, there's literally 1.5 servings missing. So I made my own. Now I have 5 servings with only 5 ingredients. Still tweaking it but at least I'm not getting jipped.

Are you saying like when you weigh it out its missing 1.5 servings? Or when you open it it looks like its missing. I've noticed sometimes certain flavors that harden up more seem to sometimes be lower. For me I notice the Peanut Butter Cup (my favorite) are sometimes a little more empty than usual. It usually seems more frozen when that happens, and I always just assume its from being much colder it has shrunk. Never actually weighed it to check though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Seconding the question about whether this is a visual check or you're weighing out and finding a quantity missing.

Food containers are usually filled by weight, so a container can look not full but you could still be getting the full amount listed on the container.

• hyunkang125
    hyunkang125 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Would love to get that recipe if you're willing to share! Also, have you tried Nick's Ice cream? It's lower in calories but very very good. Not too many flavors available but you can find it at Shoprite or Stop and Shop.
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I noticed it in the last 3 pints. I live not even 1/2 mile from the store and pick up the ice cream right before check out. I weighed the servings when I got home and noticed a good chunk missing. The only flavor I don't notice that mishap is plain chocolate.

I made 1 flavor so far, similar to white chocolate macadamia. It didn't come out as hoped so still working on it. I might have to add an additional thickening agent or it wasn't chilled enough before putting it in the churner. The first version had 138kcal, 10g fat and around 3 or 4g net carbs.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    The only thing I know about Halo Top is that if I eat it, I will ensure a massive food binge for the next 2-4 days. It sets me off like nothing else I've ever encountered.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like the pb cup one, but halo top bloats me like mad the other "healthier" ice creams don't do that. It doesn't make want to binge or anything though.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have tried mint chip, cookies and cream, and pistachio Halo Top so far. My favorite is the mint chip. I have been weighing my servings, but not counting. I think I’ve had exactly one serving of the pistachio though, so I’ll weigh the rest and see what I get.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pint for the very first time this morning; I got the chocolate pb one. I'll let you know how I like it. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    So I had the pb cup Halo ice cream last night and I'll tell you, it truthfully was not worth the calories. But then, I'm comparing it to my usual indulgent Ben and Jerry's pb cup. No comparison at all. I won't be buying Halo again anytime soon.
  • LinkedEmpire
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    So I had the pb cup Halo ice cream last night and I'll tell you, it truthfully was not worth the calories. But then, I'm comparing it to my usual indulgent Ben and Jerry's pb cup. No comparison at all. I won't be buying Halo again anytime soon.

I bought that one too and didn't care too much for it. My favorite is the white chocolate macadamia. As soon as I perfect that bad boy in my own recipe....

I'm going to try adding xantham gum to it, as a gluten alternative. It might add the creamy texture I'm looking for. I've made 2 batches so far. The first came out a bit too milky and would've been fine as a milkshake lol, the 2nd I think the issue was the brand of white chocolate or that I used chips instead of melting white chocolate bar. The macadamias tasted fine though, they always do lol.
  • LinkedEmpire
    Options
    I also think I didn't chill the batter long enough. Trial and error it goes.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    They don't taste good at all. I do like Yasso bars, they have lots of good flavors.
    But my favorite is the sugar free Kroger brand. It comes in a pint for $1 and is 400 cals for the whole pint.