My summer hiking

Options
cheriej2042
cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
edited August 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
So I’m kind of depressed since my fourth hiking trip this year that was scheduled in October to Nepal was cancelled. I find most of the trails here are too crowded, mostly fire roads and the altitude is nothing much (10-12,000). But this summer I started back on the trails and on Saturday I did a nice 16.5 mile hike from Black Star Canyon in Orange County up to the main divide road. Here you get to Beeks Place, the former stone cabins of the Beek family who built Balboa Island. A few hundred feet up the hill you are at the communication tower ( I call it the golf ball). You can see down into Riverside from there. Didn’t see many hikers, mostly mountain bikers who were surprised to see me so far out. Will be hiking up to Mt. Modjeska, Baldy, Wilson later so will post about those. Here are some pictures.aullxwnqtszr.jpeg
l622986ti3jy.jpeg
xakuf61to89k.jpeg
yb4wvmyiascu.jpeg
c4cl9bgy7igd.jpeg
y87ifxlv920t.jpeg

Replies

• Leezy55
    Leezy55 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Love hiking love the photos!
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I love coming across old abandoned buildings when hiking!

I leave for a camping trip tomorrow, and while I won’t be hiking 16 miles I do plan to get some hikes in! (Will be camping in the Rockies)
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Love the photos. I’m planning a trip to EBC for next October (2021). Hoping the covid situation will have eased by then so we can travel.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I hope you get a rain check on Nepal, I'd love to see those pics.

You should come up to the PNW to hike some volcanoes.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Love the pics 😍 thanks for sharing!
  • cheriej2042
    Options
    Very cool! I hope you get a rain check on Nepal, I'd love to see those pics.

You should come up to the PNW to hike some volcanoes.

I wish I could hike PNW your pics are always so beautiful and the hiking looks fantastic! I have to remember not to laugh sometimes when the people here talk about peak bagging at 10,000ft! That’s usually the starting altitude for me overseas!🤣

I’ve been to Everest Bass Camp in Nepal and then hiked Kala Pattar (18,000+ ft) but I missed two passes that go up to 17,000 that you can hike over on the descent so I was just going to do that. I would rather go back to Bhutan to do Snowman’s Trek which is a 30 day/11 high pass monster trek that is supposed to be one of the most difficult treks in the world. Sounds awesome!
  • cheriej2042
    Options
    Love the photos. I’m planning a trip to EBC for next October (2021). Hoping the covid situation will have eased by then so we can travel.

You will love EBC. It’s crowded now with a lot of tourists and the accommodations are really far above what I expected. But you can’t beat the scenery. I was actually more interested in getting up close to the khumbu icefall than seeing Everest. Hope you get to spend time in Kathmandu it’s an incredible place.