Looking at buying a gravel bike. Thoughts?

Options
I currently ride a Project Madone 7 49cm (I'm only 5'1"). My husband and I are planning to ride the Allegheny Trail from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington DC next year and we're looking to get some new gravel bikes.

He is definitely going carbon, because he wants to use it as a road bike also. I'm torn between alloy with a carbon fork and a full carbon. The alloy is about a pound heavier, but I need to lose more than a pound so that isn't a real issue. Ride comfort is an issue, but I'm not sure how big a difference the carbon makes over the alloy.

Price point for the bike is $3000.

Things I've looked at: All Have hydraulic brakes and Ultegra, Shimano GRX/105 or SRAM Apex - I have dealers within 60 miles for Specialized, Salsa, Cannondale, Trek.
  • Canyon Endurace WMX CF SL Disc 7.0; Size 3X Color Burgundy Tinted; $2399 - OK no real info on brand
  • Ribble CGR Shimano 105; Size XS (technically for 5'4" - 5'7"). Upside custom paint. Price with custom paint $2505 - Love the custom paint, but unsure about fit.
  • Cannondale Topstone Carbon Women's Ultegra RX2; Size XS Color Black Pearl.- Slightly over budget @ $3300
  • Cannondale Topstone Women's 105 w/ C2 Alloy frame & carbon fork, size XS, color Agave; $1750 - Don't like the color...
  • Specialized Diverge Carbon Sport; Size 48cm, color blue/ice. $2900 - Color is so so
  • Specialized Diverge Elite E5 - Alloy w/ carbon fork; size 48cm. color Satin Redwood. $1700 - not carbon
  • Trek Checkpoint SL5 Carbon, Size 49 cm, color Orange. $2900 - Know it will fit
  • Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 Alloy w/ carbon fork; size 49cm. Color Purple Abyss, $2100 - not carbon but love the color
  • Salsa Warbird Carbon Apex 1, size 49cm color Red. $2599 - OK - No real info on brand

Any info you have good or bad about any of these bikes would be appreciated.
-Nikki

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't get a SRAM road (including gravel) bike but that's just me.

$2k is too much to pay for an alloy frame.

I can't say much about the specific bikes you're looking at. Canyon is well respected and typically a good value because of their sales model which may be a bit inconvenient.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I wondered about paying that much for alloy. Another brand I looked at was Orbea.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Do you know where you're going to be riding? "Gravel" is a broad term that can mean anything from pea sized rocks that your wheels want to sink into, to smooth hard packed dirt which is a lot like pavement. That tends to be a regional thing, and what you need out of a gravel bike depends on the surfaces you'll ride on. You might also want to look at "all road" bikes but maybe not depending on this. Also a bit on how hilly it is where you ride?

Does your hubby do group rides? You didn't ask, but one thing I noticed is a good gravel bike is extremely versatile and doubles very well as a road bike. But the one area it falls a little short is in competitive group rides. Mostly because of the gearing.

Also, most people who use a gravel bike as a road bike have a second pair of wheels, with different tires and a different cassette on. That isn't necessary, but saves a lot of hassle over the long term. Because gravel tires aren't very good on pavement, and nobody wants to change tires every time they do a different kind of ride. I have nice road wheels, and I have a cheap pair for gravel that I don't mind beating up.

I would put this one on your list if 48 or 51 cm would work for you, also if you're not going to be riding much really deep gravel: https://bikesale.com/cervelo-c2-105-disc-road-bike-2020.aspx That also makes a fantastic road bike. You might be able to find a deal locally, they replaced it with a new line this year.
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    I live in WV, e we have very diverse terrain around here.

Yes he was doing two sets of tires. I do group rides and used to race. He is a marathon runner who is transitioning to riding for constraining, but he is competitive and will push the group rides. He is as strongA climber as the A guys, but doesn’t have the skills yet for the downhills and he needs to work on shifting on the rollers. My cousin Mike rides a cervelo. Great bike.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    When I came to retiring end of 2017, my family bought me a 2018 Trek X-Caliber for a retirement/Christmas gift, saying, "get out and ride, it will be good for you." They were right. This was several months before the Checkpoint line came out. I made mods to the X-Caliber (29er hardtail), including semi-slick Schwalbe Big Apple 29x2.35 tires to replace the stock knobbies, to fit my projected profile of 50/50 road/offroad, 80/20 paved/unpaved, and these turned out to be fitting. I can go well in gravel, moderate stone, dirt, grass, etc., plus smooth and broken pavement, but not deep/loose mud, snow or sand (I live near the beach). I also put on Ergon GP-4 bar-end grips, which are slightly out-of-fashion, to give multiple hand positions/etc., something of the advantage of drop bars - but, being older and such, I liked the idea of straight bars. Another mod was flat pedals - I won't use clipless (personal preference). As a big guy (read: not so concerned with minor component weight variances), and with exposure to carbon components in sailing contexts, I prefer to stick to metal, Al or steel.

Had a gravel bike such as the Checkpoint been available when we bought the X-Caliber, I might have given that a look. But, I'm satisfied and happy with the bike I'm riding. It has been good for me.

Good luck in your own choices.

vt8u7bmwuk4a.jpg
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't get a SRAM road (including gravel) bike but that's just me.

I can't say much about the specific bikes you're looking at. Canyon is well respected and typically a good value because of their sales model which may be a bit inconvenient.

The Sram 1x drivetrains are pretty dope though.
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    I'm a little nervous going to a 1x...
  • NorthCascades
    Options

I like tightly spaced gears, really small gaps, so it's not for me. But everybody who has one seems to love it. Credit to SRAM for that.
  • pridesabtch
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Right now I'm narrowed down to Trek Checkpoint SL5 and an Orbea Terra M30. Fit and function are the primary reasons, but I dumped a number of bikes off my list for purely cosmetic reasons. I loved the fit of the Salsa, but the only color offered in the 2x was ugly. If I'm paying that much for a bike, it better be pretty AND fit well...
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm a little nervous going to a 1x...

Most frames should have the mounts for a front mech if you change your mind! I'm stoked with mine. No dropping chains and its so quiet! I pretty much use it just for CX and commuting.

I like tightly spaced gears, really small gaps, so it's not for me. But everybody who has one seems to love it. Credit to SRAM for that.

My other roadie has a 52-36. There are pros and cons to both but for gravel and off road stuff I'm definitely down for a 1x

cio5wrzigo39.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Cool bike! Gravel bikes that aren't covered in dirt are considered neglected and might be taken away at any time, so it's good you're giving yours the exercise it needs to be happy and complete.

37397769686_fa860f61cf_o_d.jpg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a Giant? Having ridden tens of thousands of KM on my Defy (plus my MTB is a Giant) I have to confess that I'm a little biased towards them.

In Canadian Dollars the Revolt 0 comes with a 105 groupset (the newer 105 is what the older Ultegra was) and alloy frame for C$2,199 (probably closer to $1,500 US) or the Revolt Advanced 2 gets you a 105 groupset and composite frame for C$2,899 (approx US$1,950)

With the exception of the Salsa (which I'm not familiar with at all) I don't think any of the bikes on your shortlist would be a bad choice. Are you able to test ride any of them to see how comfortable the frame geometry is?
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'd lean towards the Trek cause you know it fits.
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    Have you considered a Giant? Having ridden tens of thousands of KM on my Defy (plus my MTB is a Giant) I have to confess that I'm a little biased towards them.

I looked at Giant but I’m not a fan of the aesthetics. I hear they ride nice though.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

I looked at Giant but I’m not a fan of the aesthetics. I hear they ride nice though.

LOL funny you mention that. The first metric century I ever rode gave out jerseys that perfectly matched the colour scheme of my Defy, when they changed their jerseys I jokingly suggested that I needed a new bike.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I've got an Orbea Gain dual purpose bike, almost identical to the Ribble CGR. I'm 5 foot 5 with an average reach. Fits me fine. I changed the saddle to a Brooks Flyer and it's awesome. I can do 20miles with no shorts at all. Did 50m last week an no aches in the neck, back or bum. I've had it since May. I went for the SRAM gearing rather than the road Shimano gearing as it suits my riding style. Orbea do identical analogue bikes to their Gain series.

PS I also carry panniers and a dog on it so it's strong. My mate is a bike mech and really rates Orbea - he said they are the Spanish equivalent to Bianchi
    :)

PPS I've lost 7 pounds on it faster than on my analogue bike... just an aside before the ebike crew get on their high horse ;)

PPS I was going to get the Ribble CGR but their sales was awful, in fact so bad I asked for a refund and went to Orbea.
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    Found a semi local Orbea dealer so I’ll get to try it out. So stoked!!!!
  • vivo1972
    Options
    Fab, let us know what you decide on - whatever it will be great - Eeek how exciting for you :)
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    Finally found a gravel bike I’m in love with, and there aren’t any in my size. Shop is going to contact their rep and see if they can find one. Ugh. The 2021 is not as pretty...

97fnl0wy96r2.png
  • vivo1972
    Options
    That looks fab - have lots of fun with it x