Feeling like I’m not capable

Options
CacoEther
CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
Logically I know how to lose weight but I don’t know how to actually DO it. I think I subconsciously sabotage myself because I don’t actually believe I can do it. Can anyone relate and how did you convince yourself you can?

Replies

• Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Completely. I have done loads of "ohhh there's this diet where you only eat soup and bread."etc and they never worked so didn't trust myself.

I actually only managed it properly when I got some therapy and started feeling happier with myself. I also started exercising and it became more about health than aesthetics.

I also find if I get in a funk and I'm finding it hard I do a week or so of literally just logging and measuring. No worrying any a calorie goal. Just get an accurate picture. You then have done data to make painless cuts "OK so I had 4 biscuits a couple of times. I could happily have 2. Oh here I had this many calories on just coffee. I could cut that down by not ordering a cappuccino and getting an americano or a tea" etc
  • JVick2013
    JVick2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Looks like I rejoined this in time. I have the same self-talk: I _know_ how people lose weight, but can _I_ do this?! I need to re-read this periodically--keep logging and keep track. Darn food! :) thanks for the validation.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    Wow, these responses echo exactly how I feel. Thanks! I guess we all have to start somewhere, I just find myself feeling like “why bother? It probably won’t work” I will try to track calories and take it from there.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I've been seeing your funny posts and witty repartee all day: I say you already have what you need...

A good dose of humour and grace.

Now just turn it onto yourself too so that as you learn about all the amazing things your body can accomplish, you are able to appreciate it all with a smile and a giggle.
  • jenjen3713
    jenjen3713 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I share the same problems and issues that everyone is having in here. Losing weight is not easy and at times can feel like a losing battle. True, you can log in your foods everyday, but life can get in the day and everyday stress can sabotage you. True, there may be time when you log something incorrectly and may be fall off the wagon. Mistakes will be made but we keep going and do our best to lose weight. One thing that works for me is to take each day one at a time. Before reaching for food, I ask myself....am I really hungry or am I bored or just want to eat because I am stressed out. Even during these times, with the stay at home order and the uncertainty of things, anyone can be stress out and become depress. There are days when I don't want to workout, but I sometimes have to dig down deep to find even enough energy and motivation to workout at home and to continue eating healthy.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    hrichts wrote: »
    Logically I know how to lose weight but I don’t know how to actually DO it. I think I subconsciously sabotage myself because I don’t actually believe I can do it. Can anyone relate and how did you convince yourself you can?

You have to have more goals set for yourself than just the scale goals. Obviously your lifestyle has put you at a weight that you're uncomfortable at so you have to change that lifestyle in order to achieve what you want. You can't do the same things you used to do; that goes beyond just weighing your food and watching what you eat because after a while indulging in the things that you enjoy is going to creep back up on you. You have to find what activities you enjoy and have goals that relate to those activities. A goal could be as simple as being able to do 10 push-ups without being winded and then upping that goal once you achieve that or to be able to run a 5k or swim a 500m. Smaller goals that can grow into more
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    hrichts wrote: »

I have to think that if you REALLY don't believe you can do it, then you wouldn't be making this post.

Beyond that, it's another thing that in concept or theory is much easier than actually doing it. Most of us have things we fall right into without trying, and then things that seem simple but we struggle at. I tend to think that motivation and desire are a big part of it... if we really want it then we will figure it out.

And like most things we figure out and actually accomplish, doing so is empowering. Even more so when it's something you have never done before.