Would I look really silly if I ....

Options
Would I look really silly if I wore gloves at the gym for lifting (and would they even help)? I'm getting some serious calluses and they hurt!!! NOBODY at my gym (at least when I'm there) wears anything. Most of the girls I see don't lift heavy and probably don't have this problem. The guys lift heavy, but I haven't seen anyone using gloves.

My hands are really taking a beating. I don't usually worry much about what other people think of me, but I really don't want to look like I think I'm some sort of professional lifter (or just plain ridiculous). I'm already the only girl (at least who I've seen) who is lifting heavy weights at lower reps, using the big dumbbells, squat rack, benches, etc., making the funny faces and small grunting noises, etc. - I don't want to call even more attention to myself LOL. I already feel kind of awkward. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you... you may look funny (I don't even think that, though) but you wont be hurting and have bad hands constantly.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Nah! Save your hands and wear the gloves! I have to wear them when I use the rowing machine, I ended up with blisters and then figured that having nice hands was more important than what people thought at the gym :)
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I say, sod what you look like, get some gloves. I've been considering it just for the amount of rowing I do. I love rowing! I've also been finding my hands hurt on some of the weights machines. Like you, I tend to lift more than most of the women at my gym.
  • brittmiles07
    Options
    I wear them when I use the weights. It was hurting too bad to even try without them. Walmart has women's sizes.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Noty used them but looking to buy some of these:

http://www.gripad.co.uk/
  • Amandamccl
    Options
    I wouldn't think its silly I take mine and my weights everywhere I go so when I'm at work on my break I got my gloves and my weights and every ones looking at me but I don't fell silly I all ypur taking care of your body that's a good thing if someone fines silly that's their problem
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You would not look silly wearing lifting gloves at the gym and using it for lifting. I lift 5-6 days/week and i wear gloves. For a couple of days, I forgot them and I regret forgetting them. 4 days later, my hands are still hurting from not wearing it., They really do work.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My husband uses them when he lifts. A lot of people use them.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
    My hands are pretty much the most fragile part of me in various ways, and I certainly wouldn't be able to comfortably deadlift weights above 50kg for more than a few reps without lifting gloves.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wear them!!! In most gyms I've been to, lots of people wear them - from the cycling machines, to the rowers, to the combat classes to the weights. Be proud that you are doing exercise which is strenuous enough to warrant their use :)
  • phawley13
    phawley13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    not silly at all, and I don't think anyone would really take notice or if they did they would understand, if it hurts you gotta do something about it. I also wouldn't worry about being the only girl lifting, I have felt that so often, just makes me feel better for it.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Not at all, there is nothing wrong with gloves for lifting. The main benefit to not wearing them, at least for me, is my grip strength is normally a tad higher without them but my gloves are a medium thickness.
  • codypedler
    codypedler Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My thought on the subject is that if people are paying attention to what other people do or wear at the gym, then the less they are focusing on their workout. if your hands hurt, by all means get some gloves. you need to get the best workout you can, and if you are in pain, you arent going to.

its the same thing as guys lifting huge weights, but having horrible form.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting gloves simply because of the germ factor at the gym :sick:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hey - if I can not worry about what I look like when I'm doing squats/cardio stuff while my lunch is warming up at work, you can not worry about what you look like wearing gloves at the gym. Right? :laugh: :laugh:
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    Save your $$$ and get a few sponges.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    Wear them! My husby wears them and he's by no means a hardcore lifter, and lots of women at my gym wear them when they do free weights. You gotta be comfortable!
  • soloral
    Options
    I personally use them only when I use the rowing machine.

Have used them in the past for lifting. But not using them helps develop your grip.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :-)

I'm going to go for it (I pretty much planned on it - but this makes me feel better about it). I've never used gloves before, so this should be interesting. I think I'll try those gripads - they seem to have good reviews.

But will using gloves hinder my grip strength? For example, I'm stuck on 15 lb dumbells for upright rows because my grip (wrist strength really) isn't strong enough yet to do all 8 reps with 20s keeping good wrist form. So I've been hoping my grip strength/wrist strength would improve soon to let me advance since my shoulders could take more weight. So if I use gloves, would that hinder my grip improvement? Same thing with the deadlift - my grip strength has been improving as I increase weight and need that to continue, so I can keep adding weight. So now I'm a little worried that gloves will hinder this...
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Get the gloves and wear them.
    1. Who gives a hang what the pansies at the gym think ... You are amazing and owe it to yourself to take care of all of you.
    2. They may help with the grip strength issue you mentioned. I have Degenerative Joint Disease that effects my wrists especially. I have found that having the gloves that secure at the wrist gives me a small amount of extra support that helps me maintain better form and keeps the wrists from hurting so much. That little bit of support could be just what you need to help develop those muscles while maintaining proper form.
    3. They look Bad***!

:drinker: