Weight gain - after loss of son :(

Options
It has been almost 3 years, and as they say "life goes on". The world kept turning, I had to return to work, and everything keeps moving forward. I now have my precious granddaughter that I am raising - and I love every second of that. However, somehow along the way, I managed to gain 80 pounds over the course of these 3 years. Most was fairly gradual - didn't notice it all that bad - clothes still fit. It was the last 30 (SINCE December!!!) that pushed me over the edge - to WOW what happened to you girl?!?!?! I saw a picture and video and was so embarrassed & ashamed. I work from home, and haven't had to go into our home office since March - so I haven't worn work clothes in forever - but NONE FIT. I made an appointment, went to my doctor - it may be due to the med he put me on last summer - Lexapro.... not sure but he referred me to The Weight loss Clinic. What a wake up call this was. I now know I am pre-diabetic, I've been to a weight loss surgery seminar, that because of that diagnosis and the fact I have obstructive sleep apnea, I qualify for weight loss surgery - but I am choosing at the moment to try & go the counseling / nutritionist way first. I've only had a c/section and eye surgery = I really don't want to do surgery unless nothing else works. I know most of this is depression / stress related. So any suggestions and advice anyone can offer will be welcomed and appreciated. I am new to all of this so - I'll take anything I can get! Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. My advice is to put your stats into mfp, chose a realistic goal to lose and eat the calorie level that it gives you. Mfp activity level does not include exercise so if you are sedentary then pick that level, but if you are lightly active (running around after a 3 year old?) then choose that but don't include any intentional exercise. If you do additional exercise then log that and eat back at least a portion if not all of the extra calories it gives you. Remember that you did not gain the weight overnight and you will not lose it overnight either. And weight loss will not be linear. You will have ups and downs. But when you look at the trend over time it will be going down if you are losing weight. And I would also recommend that you get a food scale and weigh (not measure) what you eat. That way you will know that you are eating the amount of calories you think you are. Most people are pretty bad at estimating calories. You can do this! Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    So VERY sorry to hear of your loss. Do NOT be embarrassed or ashamed of yourself. You have no reason to be.

Good for you for not jumping right into the surgery route and trying it yourself first. Nothing is wrong with weight loss surgery as long as it is the best option for you.

You stated that you gained the weight gradually so fully expect to lose it gradually as well. Start by making small changes: smaller portions, more water, moving more, etc. You'll benefit both yourself and your granddaughter by setting a good example that humans may veer down a wrong path for a while but we're resilient, can make changes and are responsible for our own health.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am so so sorry for your loss. I too have battled mental health my advice is to not look at the big picture. It's so overwhelming.
    Set mini goals and dont over complicate I would recommend weights although I've lost 11 inches in lockdown I've lost 1lbs my shape has changed and building muscle helps metabolism and it makes you feel like a feisty warrior which when your having a low day perks the mood up.
    You're already a survivor and you will do this I wish you all the best x