Sore all the time - Garmin is harsh - Are there comfortable shoes for supinators

Options
So, now that I am turning things around and taking control of my food intake, I am struggling to meet steps. I'm not sure if my old Fitbit gave me bonus steps but this Garmin doesn't give any. I feel like I'm walking ten miles to get 6000 steps. And then the next day my ankles, back, and sometimes knees are sore.

I'm a supinator so my feet roll outward. I bought some new Merrill shoes that seemed to help but they are breaking down. I bought the pricey New Balance last time and they barely made it 6 months before giving out.

I'm 41. Are ankle braces and ibuprofen my life now until I can shed the extra weight?

And has anyone else with a Garmin felt stiffed on their total steps?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Ever done a 100 step test?
    Look at device step count and note it.
    Walk and count 100 right foot landings.
    Look at device step count again.
    Got 200 steps?

Mine is a body device and it is very accurate whenever I've tested, even barefoot on carpet trying to walk quietly.
    Now, the distance is probably off and therefore calorie burn, but I'm sure the daily avg is fine anyway.

If that sore from straight out walking workout - walk less until body has gotten tougher.
    Which indeed it may not totally and you may require support.

Usually a rule about increasing mileage running - no more than 10% weekly increase.
    Apply the same thing to walking and time.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I also supinate. You may want to go to a local running store and see if they have someone who can fit you. One thing to keep in mind when looking at shoes: most people are protinators, so if you see anything about "stabilizing" and such in the description it is usually intended to help protinators push their foot out, which you do not want since it would make your issue worse. You want to look at neutral shoes. I have yet to find any designed specifically for supinators, but its been a while since I looked.

I have been quite happy with Asics gel cumulus for short runs, and I like their nimbus model when I am doing longer distances. However, I don't put alot of stock in other people's shoe reviews, you really have to find what works for you.

Edited to add - I have not had reason to doubt my garmin step counts, I have been using garmin for several years now, using a FR230 and vivofit3.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above. Get there to a running store! They will fit you for the right shoes, even though you are walking.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,689 Member
    Options
    6 months depending on walking and weight is far from poor performance. You may need to consider more frequent shoe changes
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Definitely get to a running store and get your gait assessed. If you continue to have problems see if you can see a podiatrist. I had a lot of problems with my feet, hips and back and they were eventually solved by custom inserts in my shoes and wearing neutral trainers.
    Good luck!
  • Lark13
    Lark13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    6 months depending on walking and weight is far from poor performance. You may need to consider more frequent shoe changes
    Agree. This may be helpful: https://www.verywellfit.com/when-should-i-replace-my-walking-shoes-3436325

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,139 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin and I don't feel 'stiffed' on my step count. But my previous tracker was a Polar, not a Fitbit. I wore both for a week and Garmin actually gave me a bit more steps on average.

But aside from brand, there can be significant differences according to the specific model. When I wanted to replace my old Polar, I first looked at a new Polar tracker. But the model I had my eye on had so many reviews saying that the step count was way too high, so I chose a Garmin Vivoactive 4S instead.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have high arches and supinate. Asics have been good, but what really helped my foot was physiotherapy. Once they calmed the inflammation with their ultrasound, manual and shock therapy, I was given exercises to strengthen the appropriate foot muscles and keep the pain from coming back. Hope you get it under control soon. Foot pain SUCKS.
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I supinate as well and went to a local running shop that fits you and analyzes your gait. I ended up with a pair of Altras and a pair of Brooks and rotate them- at 30-40 miles a week and rotating pairs I replace about every 5 - 6 months.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I supinate, gave me a wicked case of chronic peroneal tendonitis. I'm not a runner, I just got it from walking. That is bad. It's genetic, both my mom and my dad had the same issue. I did physical therapy and I didn't find it helpful, they were focused on relieving my pain - which wasn't the problem, I wanted to fix the issue. Single leg weight training helped a lot.

When I was first diagnosed I wore Vionic shoes (I don't think they make serious running shoes, they might though) which helped. Losing weight and strengthening my entire leg kept the problem away for years. It came back recently. I tried the "supportive" shoes again, they made it worse.

I've been lifting for years in minimalist/barefoot shoes, my muscles have learned to balance and stride in those shoes. Kept wearing them and treated the inflammation and it's gone away again.

To sum it up, losing weight and strengthening my whole leg helped. I'm no help on shoes, but I fixed my supination problem - although I tend that direction still.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I did not notice a discrepancy between steps walking. However I did notice a difference between Fitbit and Garmin when it came to my interval training. On the elliptical Garmin would often miss thousands of steps compared to the step counter on the elliptical machine, while Fitbit total was really close to the elliptical’s step count. For my intervals, I up the resistance really high and back pedal really fast.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    You might want to try something from TheInsoleStore.com. I've had good luck with stuff from them and they do have some insoles that correct for rolling if you search supination. I need rigid insole support for plantar fasciitis and got some from them that work in my sneakers.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Fitbit always have me steps while I slept and small foot movements. Garmin is more accurate. Podiatrist had me get Brooks Ariel. Best shoes I ever had.

• IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hoka One One sells shoes for supination. I personally have the Bondi 6. They’re kind of ugly, but it’s the best shoe I’ve had in years for long distance walking.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart 4s, my first device. I did set up personal stride lengths for walking, and my longer walks seem to be pretty close...it tells me I've gone a mile at about a mile on a map, and is pretty consistent when I'm purposefully walking. However, when I'm just "moving" about the house, or when shopping or the like, for some reason I usually am holding something in my left hand (cell phone, keys, glass of water,...) The Garmin counts those steps as Stair steps, not Walking steps. I don't have a stairway in my house, work, church, or really any part of my life, but somehow Garmin tells me I climb more stairs than 88% of the population. :sunglasses: Any chance your Garmin has steps going "elsewhere"?
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    6 months isn't bad for a pair of shoes, especially when you aren't 80 pounds and are walking a lot. It is worth it to keep your feet healthy buying a new pair of shoes twice a year.
    Did you do the calibration on your Garmin? It does want you to exercise for something like 20 minutes at a heavy exertion if I remember right. That may help with accuracy if you haven't done it.
    Just do exercise as your body allows. A little bit of soreness is ok, but pain isn't. Maybe take more shorter walks a day if you can. (It is how I am increasing my steps little by little)