Lifting weight and calories used?

Options
I love to lift weights and try to get to the gym about 5 days a week (sometimes six). I would like to know how to calculate calories used from weight lifting? I can use my Garmin, but yo do this I’d have to enter each weight/machine, reps, etc., and it’s easy to forget.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Logging the lifting routine doesn't give you a calorie count on Garmin.
    And their database entry is badly inflated, as would be by HR.

Log on MFP as Weights.
    It's low compared to cardio, and that is absolutely true.

For the database entry to select:
    Strength Training is sets and reps 4-15 and rests 2-4 min at a heavy for you weight, no pink dumbbells.

Circuit training is reps 12 and up and rests about 1 min, machine to machine.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think the individual exercise details are more to allow you to log and chart progress over time. For the increase in cal burn can you not just let it record your heart rate changes as normal activity and then allow the sync to include that for your day? Let the machines do it for you...
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don’t know why anyone would lift weights and NOT log weight/reps for each exercise. How else can you track if you are improving??

I use gymgoal and have my upper/lower routines and enter my weight/reps for each set. When I see that my reps are going up steadily, I increase the weight.

As for counting it for calorie purposes, some people will burn way more calories weight lifting than others. My husband is a balls to the wall go big or go home weight lifter and I’m more middle of the road. He is going to burn more calories than I will. I use MFP cardio weight lifting and enter the time I spent lifting for the day, but really it’s just a guesstimate as it doesn’t account for different intensity levels.
  • heybales
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I don’t know why anyone would lift weights and NOT log weight/reps for each exercise. How else can you track if you are improving??

I use gymgoal and have my upper/lower routines and enter my weight/reps for each set. When I see that my reps are going up steadily, I increase the weight.

As for counting it for calorie purposes, some people will burn way more calories weight lifting than others. My husband is a balls to the wall go big or go home weight lifter and I’m more middle of the road. He is going to burn more calories than I will. I use MFP cardio weight lifting and enter the time I spent lifting for the day, but really it’s just a guesstimate as it doesn’t account for different intensity levels.

Yes you log it for tracking and progress.

Just not in the pathetic MFP. Especially if you think it makes it give a calorie estimate.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Just not in the pathetic MFP. Especially if you think it makes it give a calorie estimate.

I use an app called GymGoal to log it. Like I said, otherwise you have no idea if you are progressing. Not logging it makes lifting in general a waste of time.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    @Dogmom1978

There are people who don’t bother to record.

I don’t record my gym sessions. My trainer has beat into my head to rest briefly and stretch between sets. I figure it’s more down than up time, and not worth recording.

I let it count as part of my “highly active” setting, and don’t worry about it.

As far as recording my improvement, personally, I have a pretty good idea if that’s happening or not. :wink:

I think there’s several users here who operate that way.
  • heybales
    edited August 2020
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

I use an app called GymGoal to log it. Like I said, otherwise you have no idea if you are progressing. Not logging it makes lifting in general a waste of time.

You have missed the context on the question that was being answered, and the comments given.

Calories and lifting.

That does NOT require, nor does it even provide, in MFP any calories by logging your lift info in the app.
    As I stated - you still log for progress though.
    And as commented on - not everyone needs that even.

So not sure what you think you are arguing against.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    @Dogmom1978

I don’t record my gym sessions. My trainer has beat into my head to rest briefly and stretch between sets. I figure it’s more down than up time, and not worth recording.

As far as recording my improvement, personally, I have a pretty good idea if that’s happening or not. :wink:

It’s pointless and useless to lift weights and not track weights and sets. Any personal trainer who tells you that you shouldn’t track it, is frankly, a waste of money. You’d be better off just doing cardio then if you aren’t going to bother progressing.

As for context of question, if OP was already tracking sets, reps, weight, what is there to forget? You track all of that in some better app than MFP that is designed for that purpose. Then you log how much time (or a reasonable guesstimate trying to remove rest time) that you spent working out. For example, if I lift weights for 75 min, I will put 60 min in MFP as cardio, weight lifting to account for down time.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    OP is asking about weightlifting and tracking for CALORIES, gang. NOT about the merits of tracking reps so you can track your gains...

Back the question at hand, MFP has a very bad database for tracking weights. I used to use a companion app to MFP called UA Record. It has a much broader spectrum of exercises you can enter into it and it syncs with MFP flawlessly. There are a ton of different types of workouts you can log, from weights to workout videos to rowing, etc. I think this might help you with your calorie logging issue OP. You can either track the workout live, or go back in and enter it after the fact.

Good luck!
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options

It’s pointless and useless to lift weights and not track weights and sets. Any personal trainer who tells you that you shouldn’t track it, is frankly, a waste of money. You’d be better off just doing cardio then if you aren’t going to bother progressing.

Not tracking every set I do has in no way stopped me 'progressing', if progressing in this context means being able to lift heavier weights now than I could a year ago...
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Not logging it makes lifting in general a waste of time.

That’s a weird attitude. Obviously it has exactly the same effect on your body whether you log it or not.

Now not logging might hinder your progress (or it might not - some people I’m sure can progress quite well by feeling) but for arguments sake, even if you literally NEVER progress whatever you’re doing would still have benefits for your body.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    @Dogmom1978

As for context of question, if OP was already tracking sets, reps, weight, what is there to forget? You track all of that in some better app than MFP that is designed for that purpose. Then you log how much time (or a reasonable guesstimate trying to remove rest time) that you spent working out. For example, if I lift weights for 75 min, I will put 60 min in MFP as cardio, weight lifting to account for down time.

You can set up "New Measurments" in MFP to track progression.

The issue here being discussed is HR and calorie burn - which MFP is really bad at for strength training - and so are any of the body tracking devices.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

That’s a weird attitude. Obviously it has exactly the same effect on your body whether you log it or not.

Now not logging might hinder your progress (or it might not - some people I’m sure can progress quite well by feeling) but for arguments sake, even if you literally NEVER progress whatever you’re doing would still have benefits for your body.

You burn limited calories lifting weights. It’s more for muscle growth and body comp. Ask anyone serious about lifting if they track it and of course they do.

I always hated seeing stereotypical women at the gym who lifted the same 15lbs every week. 100% pointless.

Then I built a gym in my basement so I don’t have to be irritated by those people. I’m just trying to point out that the OP should ABSOLUTELY be tracking weights/reps through an app designed for doing so. Otherwise, just stick with the cardio.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Exactly what sijomial said. It's also the same kind of thinking that says food you eat doesn't add calories unless you log them.

Heybales initial post was the answer to OPs question. The rest of this is just disputing stuff OP didn't ask about.

There's no perfect way to estimate calories for weight lifting (or most any other exercise that isn't well power metered 😆 ). MFP's database - which has the METS-based, research-based entries heybales points out, ones that are OK for a couple of different scenarios - is a good way to go for the calorie estimate for weight training, best of the bad options.

It isn't very many calories. If you don't record it, but take it as extra deficit, that's OK, too, in all but the most extreme cases. But it's also OK to log it for calories.

On the other point so hotly disputed: Personally, I can't imagine staying organized if I didn't note reps/sets, and not tracking would make progress harder . . . but the idea that there's zero benefit from strength training unless you write something down? Not optimal for best progress, sure, probably. Zero benefit if not tracked, no reason to train? 🤣 C'mon.

Bricklayer's apprentice doesn't get stronger carrying hods of bricks, unless she counts them? 🤣 🤣 🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

You burn limited calories lifting weights. It’s more for muscle growth and body comp. Ask anyone serious about lifting if they track it and of course they do.

I always hated seeing stereotypical women at the gym who lifted the same 15lbs every week. 100% pointless.

Then I built a gym in my basement so I don’t have to be irritated by those people. I’m just trying to point out that the OP should ABSOLUTELY be tracking weights/reps through an app designed for doing so. Otherwise, just stick with the cardio.

So, what data do you track to know whether your cardio is making the desired improvements to your CV system, if you do cardio?

People can really geek out on metrics for that, too. :) It's similarly helpful, but not essential.
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    OP is asking about weightlifting and tracking for CALORIES, gang. NOT about the merits of tracking reps so you can track your gains...

Back the question at hand, MFP has a very bad database for tracking weights. I used to use a companion app to MFP called UA Record. It has a much broader spectrum of exercises you can enter into it and it syncs with MFP flawlessly. There are a ton of different types of workouts you can log, from weights to workout videos to rowing, etc. I think this might help you with your calorie logging issue OP. You can either track the workout live, or go back in and enter it after the fact.

Good luck!

Is this app also called map my fitness workout trainer? Do you still use it?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP for calorie tracking while lifting weights. I just pay attention to the HRM and manually track my weight and reps to watch my progression. If I want to just burn up calories and see the number I track my cardio. For me lifting weights always results in a bigger calorie burn at the end of the day.