Portions, weights and measures confusion.

Options
eisenbau
eisenbau Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I'm getting more and more frustrated when I try and select previous entries of food into my diary from the database. What use are portion sizes like, 'a piece', 'one whole pie', 'a slice', 'a portion', 'a serving'? And while I understand a 'cup' is a known US measure, it is a measure of volume, not mass! So you cannot e.g. have a cup of apple pie, unless you have liquidised it first, which is unlikely! I have asked a couple of times if the website can be re-designed so that you choose between weight and volume. Then if you choose weight entry has to be a unit of weight, if you choose volume, likewise has to be a unit of volume! Easy. And NO selection possible of anything like piece or portion. Finally delete all existing entries using these ridiculous and meaningless measures which are clogging up the application and driving me to think more and more about a different app.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    use the database entries that have a 100g option, or make your own entries.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eisenbau wrote: »
    Nothings free... adverts.... :) or you do pay...

It's not really much to ask given how smart the website is to make it more professional. If they can take the trouble to create all the cool reports e.g., then making a minor change to the food creation tool is very easy and make the whole site more attractive / easy to use and give it a far more professional look and feel.

so tell them... posting on here wont help?
  • dirtswife
    dirtswife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Let's take your example - apple pie. Even if you could find a weight measure for one slice, how do you know the apple pie you're eating is the same as another apple pie with the same weight? The main reason for the calorie fluctuations has more to do with the ingredients than the size of the slice. Unless you know the exact ingredients in your local bakery's pie, you're never going to get an accurate calorie count. The most accurate way to get calorie counts is to go by the serving size on the package. A slice of bread is not a slice of bread, even if you know the exact weight. In my experience, all basic foods (fruits, vegetables, cuts of meat) all have weight options.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Typically, if you're more specific, you'll get better options - apple, raw instead of apple. Or type usda in your search.

For prepared foods, it's just a guess anyway... but you'll get better at it with time (buying a pie from a place that gives nutrition information, for example, will make it easier for you to compare your own slice with that one).

I agree that the database needs work but unfortunately, it's made by users... and people like sharing useless entries.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Find one and stick to it. Might be wrong, but at least it is consistent. Just mho
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,139 Member
    Options
    Look, I get your need to vent. Heck, I've cursed at some of those entries myself.
    But unfortunately I doubt it's going to accomplish much. Overhauling the database would be a titanic job and having been here a year, it's clear that none of the suggestions users are posting (relating to the food database or others) are being listened to.

I just focus on building my regular food entries 'collection' and recipes. And for new foods that I probably won't eat again (not cooked myself), I google them first for a ball park idea of the calories (for example supermarket foods) and then find a similar entry in MFP.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Get a different app. You are needlessly whining.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    One of the major draws of MFP is the size of the database, which they created for "free" due to allowing users to make the entries. The drawback of that is not everyone wants to log exactly as you do, so they'll create entries that reflect how they prefer to log. And some users may not have the focus on accuracy that others do, creating additional issues.

I personally choose to just ignore the entries that don't work for me. Since most of us tend to eat the same foods regularly, it's really not that difficult to create a collection of "trusted" entries and learn how to search for the ones that work best for us.

But if you decide to leave MFP over it, that's okay too. Nobody is making you stay.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    The data base is huge but highly flawed. As stated, above, it takes some finesse to get it right. After about 1000 food entries you will feel comfortable weeding through the mistakes to get the right answers. And then you can check the important ones on external data sets.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Typically, if you're more specific, you'll get better options - apple, raw instead of apple. Or type usda in your search.

For prepared foods, it's just a guess anyway... but you'll get better at it with time (buying a pie from a place that gives nutrition information, for example, will make it easier for you to compare your own slice with that one).

I agree that the database needs work but unfortunately, it's made by users... and people like sharing useless entries.

WTF? Where have you been, woman?! Did I invoke you???? :)

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

This is a zombie thread.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,139 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

This is a zombie thread.

That apparently I revived. Which is bizarre since I only look at the Recent Discussions, so it must have glitched its way in there :confused:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

This is a zombie thread.

That apparently I revived. Which is bizarre since I only look at the Recent Discussions, so it must have glitched its way in there :confused:

Actually the OP revived it with some comment to me that has since been removed.