What's REALLY in Your Food?

Options
Very informative (and pretty gross article, please read!

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/whats-really-your-food#sharetagsfocus

Replies

• Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    :sick: :sick: :sick:
    EEWWWWwww!!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    oh wow. I didnt realize Doritos have MSG! good thing I pretty much never eat them any more :)
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This is the very reason I gave up fast food 5 years ago! The fact that a "hamburger" can have a thousand different cows in it just grosses me out, and the Subway bread can hardly be called bread! The one thing on the list that I wouldn't be able to give up is the Bac-O's because I don't eat pork but do enjoy them on my baked potato every now and again. Wait til my fiance hears I'm not longer buying salami! :tongue:
  • yoghurtand
    Options
    I think that anyone who doesn't know by now that fast/junk food has about a million ingredients per item has been hiding their heads in the... silicia :P

Some of this is worthwhile information but some just seems to be scaremongering. Again. Since when is yeast extract evil? I'd better put down the marmite (joke, that stuff is vile). And the little bit of info about silica being in other (regarded as HEALTHY) foods but somehow being evil in this particular one was odd.

But still, if you're not avoiding fast/junk food for the calories then I guess there are a few reasons here to consider. Just make everything at home; it's a lot less stressful.
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    Former Surgeon General David Kessler wrote a book a couple of years ago called "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite". It talked about how foods are created in labs with a scientifically-determined ratio of fat:sugar that has been found to induce cravings for more of it. I don't remember it talking about much specific fast food, but he talked with insiders about food designed for Chili's and Applebee's. It's not just gross, it's really underhanded the way they deliberately design food on a molecular level, to make you addicted to it, without regard for your health. It's all about selling the most food. The one thing I remember the most is how restaurants/fast food companies use chicken that is prepared by soaking it in water until it's soggy, then freezing it. When it is chucked straight into the deep fat fryer, the ice instantly melts and is replaced by frying oil. That is why commercial fried chicken is sooo much more fattening than home made. Sure, it's more tender and tastier, but it is so bad for you. i haven't eaten at either of those above mentioned restaurants since I read that book. I highly recommed the book, tho I must say I the title is misleading. It just exposes food processing practices, doesn't solve the problem.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Former Surgeon General David Kessler wrote a book a couple of years ago called "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite". It talked about how foods are created in labs with a scientifically-determined ratio of fat:sugar that has been found to induce cravings for more of it. I don't remember it talking about much specific fast food, but he talked with insiders about food designed for Chili's and Applebee's. It's not just gross, it's really underhanded the way they deliberately design food on a molecular level, to make you addicted to it, without regard for your health. It's all about selling the most food. The one thing I remember the most is how restaurants/fast food companies use chicken that is prepared by soaking it in water until it's soggy, then freezing it. When it is chucked straight into the deep fat fryer, the ice instantly melts and is replaced by frying oil. That is why commercial fried chicken is sooo much more fattening than home made. Sure, it's more tender and tastier, but it is so bad for you. i haven't eaten at either of those above mentioned restaurants since I read that book. I highly recommed the book, tho I must say I the title is misleading. It just exposes food processing practices, doesn't solve the problem.

Wow, thanks for all the information. I honestly never knew that. It really sickens me to think about where and how our food is produced nowadays. I'm glad that I rarely eat out.
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    WOW! What an insane article...my fave thing to eat at Taco Smells is the Mexican Pizza, but not anymore! Thanks for posting it!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone who doesn't know by now that fast/junk food has about a million ingredients per item has been hiding their heads in the... silicia :P

Some of this is worthwhile information but some just seems to be scaremongering. Again. Since when is yeast extract evil? I'd better put down the marmite (joke, that stuff is vile). And the little bit of info about silica being in other (regarded as HEALTHY) foods but somehow being evil in this particular one was odd.

But still, if you're not avoiding fast/junk food for the calories then I guess there are a few reasons here to consider. Just make everything at home; it's a lot less stressful.

I had recently heard about the use of ammonia in hamburger production, was posting so others could see it who may not be aware. Scaremongering - I don't agree, some people just aren't aware of the useless "crap" that is in the food they eat. It just makes me wonder why anybody eats this stuff at all...
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    OMG.
    This is what is in an orange!
    Stop Nature Now.

Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.