Is anyone in here pursuing bodybuilding?

I’m still fairly new here and I’m curious. I’ve been training about 12 yrs. I’ve done 3 amateur shows and I came in 3rd in each one (heavyweight bodybuilding). Just looking for the competitors.

Replies

• Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 192 Member
    It doesn't seem like much of a focus here. One area of focus for me is building muscle, but there don't seem to be a lot of body builders here.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    i suppose i'm an aspiring BB, I've starting prepping 3 times now but something
    always seems to get in the way, loooking at April 11th 2021 for my first show
  • unforgettable2010
    unforgettable2010 Posts: 104 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    i suppose i'm an aspiring BB, I've starting prepping 3 times now but something
    always seems to get in the way, loooking at April 11th 2021 for my first show

Yea I get it. It can be pretty rough. Keep pushing fam.
  • unforgettable2010
    Carp614 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like much of a focus here. One area of focus for me is building muscle, but there don't seem to be a lot of body builders here.

Yea I’m beginning to notice. I was hoping for more of a response. I like to pick other peoples’ brains. Because everyone trains and diets different. I like reading different perspectives.
  • smith667metal
    smith667metal Posts: 29 Member
    I’m not into competing but I am doing bodybuilding strength training. I am interested in how others train and diet for competition tho. What’s it like to compete on stage? Or the prep before contest?
  • unforgettable2010
    I’m not into competing but I am doing bodybuilding strength training. I am interested in how others train and diet for competition tho. What’s it like to compete on stage? Or the prep before contest?
    Honestly, I relate the prep process to pledging a fraternity. The bottom line becomes ‘how bad do you want it’. I missed the first show I tried to do because I wasn’t ready in time. I’m one of those ppl that just goes all the way in and does stuff normal people wouldn’t do. So after I missed that show, I increased cardio to 4 hours every single day. Chicken and broccoli without any seasoning 5/6 meals. Meal 1 was 12 egg whites and spinach. Needless to say I didn’t miss the next show. But even with that effort, I only came in 3rd in my class (heavyweight). I believe some are blessed with genetics and some are blessed with work ethics. I feel like if you want to step on stage you have to work harder than everyone out there knowing full well that you have no idea what they are doing every single day.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Sort of. I'm using bodybuilding techniques as I try to recomp. I've seen that a few bodybuilding shows now have a "transformation division" and I've set myself a goal of at least signing up to compete in one by the time I turn 40 next year. (The initial goal was COMPETE before 40, but COVID closed my gym and screwed it all up.)
  • smith667metal

Honestly, I relate the prep process to pledging a fraternity. The bottom line becomes ‘how bad do you want it’. I missed the first show I tried to do because I wasn’t ready in time. I’m one of those ppl that just goes all the way in and does stuff normal people wouldn’t do. So after I missed that show, I increased cardio to 4 hours every single day. Chicken and broccoli without any seasoning 5/6 meals. Meal 1 was 12 egg whites and spinach. Needless to say I didn’t miss the next show. But even with that effort, I only came in 3rd in my class (heavyweight). I believe some are blessed with genetics and some are blessed with work ethics. I feel like if you want to step on stage you have to work harder than everyone out there knowing full well that you have no idea what they are doing every single day.
    [/quote]

Wow I see it’s an all or nothing effort for bodybuilding contest. See for me I’m 5’7 190lbs sitting at around 15-16% bf I’m guessing, I’m not super strict on my diet but Most days extremely busy and I train hard. I’m not so much interested in having the best physique out there I just want to be strong as hell while having a respectable physique which I figure is 10-12 % bf
    Say what are your stats?
  • smith667metal
    And also what’s your training looking like?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    I did 2 shows last year but since have shifted gears, don't forsee doing another one in the near future.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I am not a body builder, more like body sculpting. Aiming for some ratios at a lean body mass target.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited July 2020
    You can compete naturally, but getting to 4-5% body fat naturally sucks, I felt like complete crap at my leanest and I wasn't even 6%.
  • unforgettable2010
    Wow I see it’s an all or nothing effort for bodybuilding contest. See for me I’m 5’7 190lbs sitting at around 15-16% bf I’m guessing, I’m not super strict on my diet but Most days extremely busy and I train hard. I’m not so much interested in having the best physique out there I just want to be strong as hell while having a respectable physique which I figure is 10-12 % bf
    Say what are your stats?
    [/quote]

What stats?