Question for Runners

Options
I'm a new runner just starting out. I'm currently using the C25K program, and I know its recommended to stretch both before and after. Now my question is usually when you stretch before your run, your technically stretching cold muscles and that can increase injury. So..all along, i have been doing my warmup walk prior to my run, and doing a good stretch routine when my workout is complete. Can i get away with my warmup walks and do what i have been doing or how can i stretch my muscles before warming them up? Just a bit confused on how this works, thats all.

Replies

• aschultz9
    Options
    I don't stretch before I run. I use part of my run as my warmup, do the first few minutes slow. I've read and heard many opinions on this (as will you likely) but found for me stretching prior was more detrimental. I really don't stretch after either, unless it was a long run or a tougher than normal workout.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    The expert say that stretching before a run is a no-no now. I don't stretch before running anymore.
  • Britt22706
    Options
    I never stretch before a run. It doesn't matter how long my run is (usually 3-9 miles). I always do a 5 minute fast walk to warm up. Cold muscles should not be stretched "statically". but ALWAYS stretch after your run!!! Always! Also, I found a cool down walk helps me too!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Never, EVER stretch cold muscles hun. If you want to stretch before hand, do a walk for 5 minutes before your run and stretch out at the end of the 5 minutes.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, thats what i do..warmup: 5 min walk, run (or do whatever is in my C25K) and then walk 5 minutes for cooldown, come home, and stretch out.
  • tangerine202
    Options
    I don't stretch before I run. I use part of my run as my warmup, do the first few minutes slow. I've read and heard many opinions on this (as will you likely) but found for me stretching prior was more detrimental. I really don't stretch after either, unless it was a long run or a tougher than normal workout.

Agreed, I do C25K as well
  • jeff261159
    Options
    You are exactly right. Cold muscles should not be stretched! They snap!!! Warm up before, stretch after yourvcool down.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch at all on a daily or per workout basis. My body talks to me and I listen, if I start to feel stiff or uncomfortable, I'll go to a yoga stretch class where all of the poses are meant to stretch muscles, usually from the core. Before a run, I usually walk about a tenth to quarter of a mile, do some high knees and butt kicks to get the blood pumping, then I'm off!

Good luck out there!
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'll run for about 5 minutes and then determine whether I want to stretch. If I'm feeling tight (normally in my calves), I'll stop and stretch then, but if I feel good, I'll keep going and stretch after.
  • blizzy1
    blizzy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I run on a regular basis, and the answers here are mostly correct. Stretch a cold muscle will only tear it, always warm up first. I walk for about 5 then run slow for 5, then get down to business. Sometimes like today I walk my dog first for a few blocks bring him home then I leave for my run. Good luck with your running :smile:
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Good question!!! How long should you stretch for after the run? Do you focus on legs only or entire body stretching?
  • Felixelus
    Felixelus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I never stretch before a run (like many of the others here!), I start at a slower pace then gradually speed up. I always stretch after though! Quads, calves, hamstrings and glutes for at least 30 secs. If I've done an interval run or run for more than an hour, I do my arms and chest too (again for at least 30 secs).
    I consider stretching to be an integral part of my running training so my advice is too never skip it! Your legs will thank you in the long run (lol) ^_^
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'll run for about 5 minutes and then determine whether I want to stretch. If I'm feeling tight (normally in my calves), I'll stop and stretch then, but if I feel good, I'll keep going and stretch after.

That's what I've been doing too. Seems to work.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's actually recommended NOT to stretch before, only after.

However, if you've always stretched before exercise, you should continue doing so.

If not, don't start.