Loose belly skin

Options
imxnianne
imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
edited August 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I’d like to see what you would use for loose belly skin after weight loss(post child
birth). As well as of your belly button area looks differently.

Have you tried non invasive Laser lipo, creams.. because we all know diet alone will kill gains if you’re trying to build muscle as well.

Replies

• imxnianne
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When you say build muscle are you currently trying to eat at maintenance or surplus?

I had my third baby less than a year ago, I have noticed my waist a bit more stubborn. But what is helping is time. Also taking it slow, either spending time in a deficit or at maintenance depending on your goals. Also getting enough protein and lifting weights, a bit of core work.

While I do moisturize I don't think that the creams has led to a significant difference for me personally.

I’ve just recently started to powerlift. Ok, more of body lift. I’m trying to build my lower body and gain strength at the same time.

I have weird appetites. I try and eat as healthy as I can, but still be able to eat the sugary treats (yes, I know that builds fat). I’m only human 😂

I got a Groupon for the non invasive laser lipo. 2 sessions in, and I feel it really is the best.

Wrinkles, on the top part of my stomach and the fupa won’t go away (sorry, if tmi).

My belly butt seems to just look different after weight loss. It’s weird, like there’s a line underneath it. Not a dark pigment line, but more of a crease. Looking to see if there has been anyone that was able to fix their tummy without the tummy tuck.
  • imxnianne
    Options
    I think a way to decrease the apron is to do more cardio to lose bf. I’m at a slower progression since I’m trying out power building. Body fat will still be in place unless I recomp, cut and don’t cut out my cardio. I’m learning where my body works better.

With the Groupon! I am on session 3 of the non invasive laser lipo. Cannot say if it will work out, but a few extra bucks to try isn’t that bad. Only problem is it’s time consuming. I also heard about micro needling!

Cream wise, does vitamin c or any skin supplements help it out?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The apron is caused by stretched out extra skin. Mine never disappeared. You may have better luck. I don’t think creams do anything. Microneedling? Not sure how that would work.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My son is 15 and I’m at a healthy weight now but still have skin. It’s improved some with time and consistent fitness. I think balanced nutrition and keeping skin hydrated helps as well. I’ve consulted and considered a half tummy tuck but really no one sees it except me and my husband so I decided against it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    imxnianne wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When you say build muscle are you currently trying to eat at maintenance or surplus?

I had my third baby less than a year ago, I have noticed my waist a bit more stubborn. But what is helping is time. Also taking it slow, either spending time in a deficit or at maintenance depending on your goals. Also getting enough protein and lifting weights, a bit of core work.

While I do moisturize I don't think that the creams has led to a significant difference for me personally.

I’ve just recently started to powerlift. Ok, more of body lift. I’m trying to build my lower body and gain strength at the same time.

I have weird appetites. I try and eat as healthy as I can, but still be able to eat the sugary treats (yes, I know that builds fat). I’m only human 😂

I got a Groupon for the non invasive laser lipo. 2 sessions in, and I feel it really is the best.

Wrinkles, on the top part of my stomach and the fupa won’t go away (sorry, if tmi).

My belly butt seems to just look different after weight loss. It’s weird, like there’s a line underneath it. Not a dark pigment line, but more of a crease. Looking to see if there has been anyone that was able to fix their tummy without the tummy tuck.

The sugary treats only build fat if you create a calorie surplus. But nutrition is important, so sure, it's good not to overdo sugary stuff.

Back to the main point: Skin is an organ. The implication is that things that keep other organs healthy also keep skin healthy, too, so more likely to be elastic and shrink. That would be:

* avoiding fast weight loss (because it's a physical stress to lose fast),
    * getting good well-rounded nutrition (macros and micros, especially but not exclusively protein),
    * getting regular exercise (both cardiovascular and strength),
    * managing all-source life stress,
    * hydrating adequately (not crazy much, but enough),
    * avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol,
    * specific to skin, also avoiding tanning.

Skin shrinks very slowly. I don't see where you mentioned how long it's been since your most recent child was born, or material weight lost in other ways. Are you at goal weight now? With fat loss specifically, remaining subcutaneous fat can conspire with gravity for quite a while to keep skin stretched out: Once that fat is depleted so the skin is more like wrinkles in medium-weight fabric, not 1/2"+ rolls or folds, the skin has a chance to *start* shrinking. Even then, it takes a while. After reaching goal weight, mine kept shrinking at least into year 2 of maintenance.

This next is *totally* speculative, because I've never been pregnant (and never will be, at age 64 😆). Some of my younger friends who have recently been pregnant said that with the post-pregnancy loose skin specifically (not with residual fat, just skin) they thought it helped to use compression garments as much as possible for a while to counteract the gravitational stretch effect of the skin mass itself. I have no idea whether that's true or not. But, if you don't strap yourself in to the point of over-compressing internal organs, I don't think it would be injurious, either.

Personally, I don't think creams, special supplements, dry-brushing, or any of that kind of thing have much effect. I think people experience skin shrinkage eventually, and attribute it to whatever magic technique they tried. Are they right? No way to know, but I'm doubtful. I think time mostly did it, and other things got the credit. It's freakin' slow.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    after having my son and losing all the weight, my loose skin never went away altogether. i was thin for over 2 decades at the lowest end of my healthy weight, very active, muscular and hydrated, and i used lotion during my pregnancy and after, but 20 years later still had loose belly skin. it did recede a little, but was definitely there, although happily my stretch marks faded. if you only have a little, it may go away, but most likely it won't disappear altogether.
  • imxnianne
    Options
    after having my son and losing all the weight, my loose skin never went away altogether. i was thin for over 2 decades at the lowest end of my healthy weight, very active, muscular and hydrated, and i used lotion during my pregnancy and after, but 20 years later still had loose belly skin. it did recede a little, but was definitely there, although happily my stretch marks faded. if you only have a little, it may go away, but most likely it won't disappear altogether.

I have researched of it not going away. Even if you think it has, it hasn’t.

Stretch marks? Good for you! Sometimes red stretch marks turn white (which makes it permanent) but they Are less unnoticeable than red ones.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I’ve had four pregnancies, almost all with sizeable weight gains, always returned to my normal healthy weight within a year post partum. Now am down a bit from that normal weight—and there’s still loose belly skin after losing 7+ lbs and lifting heavy for 4.5 years. It’s not horrible, but it’s there and only noticeable in a low cut bikini. My solution has been wear bikinis cut an inch below the navel instead of lower hipster ones. Cheaper than surgery. My pics are in that uterus thread linked above.

I said something about not liking my new suit bc it was cut lower and showed the extra skin and my competitive power lifter friend who is smaller and more muscular than I am said, “yeah, we all have that. Rock the suit anyway!” I would my co rather not have it, but since I’m not on for surgery...oh well.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I’m going to be getting a tummy tuck. The skin bothers me, so it’s worth it for me.
  • imxnianne
    Options
    I’m going to be getting a tummy tuck. The skin bothers me, so it’s worth it for me.

They’re so pricey! As well as the time off needed. Wouldn’t that be around almost 2-3 weeks not being able to work? The investment alone on it is just so high, but if it’s reachable to others. Go for it! The scar is frightening! Lol.. imagine getting a tattoo on that area. Painful for sure.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    imxnianne wrote: »

They’re so pricey! As well as the time off needed. Wouldn’t that be around almost 2-3 weeks not being able to work? The investment alone on it is just so high, but if it’s reachable to others. Go for it! The scar is frightening! Lol.. imagine getting a tattoo on that area. Painful for sure.

I’m a stay at home mom, so I don’t have to worry about time off at a normal job. We have the money saved already, they aren’t that out of reach anymore. I’ve read sometimes the area is numb when people get tattoo’d there. If my scar is ugly that’s what I’d do!