How To Ween Myself off Soda

Options
Okay...I am addicted to diet soda...I have been for many years (my dad drove a Coke truck when I was a kid), and I know it will always been a struggle for me not to drink them. However, I read folks going on and on about how bad they are for you. My question is simple....in order to curb my cravings, am I better off drinking one regular Coke (with it's demonic HFCS) or one diet Coke (aspartame) a day? I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

I drank one regular Coke yesterday, and it literally was the only soda I had all day...which is a minor miracle in itself. I'm hoping to think out loud with the help of some MFP friends! :)

Replies

• amy29fan
    amy29fan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I need this as well.. I have been drinking diet coke for about 20 years. It was really back in my early 20's and my doctor diagnosed me being addicted to diet coke, which was causing my migraines. He put me on a medication that made me lose the taste for the diet coke. That worked for about 6 years. Then I got pregnant, and couldn't take the medicine and back to the diet coke I went. I used to drink 6-8 cans of it per day. I now only drink 1 large diet coke a day, along with 8 glasses of water. But how can get rid of it completely????
  • kristinaohno
    kristinaohno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have the one regular soda, count it. Aspartame is so horrible for you. I stopped drinking soda about a month ago. I just started drinking seltzer. There's nothing in it but curbs my fizzy craving. It may not be soda, but it works. Now I drink more water than I ever have. I don't even crave soda anymore. And I was a big soda drinker. Good Luck!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Seltzer and Synergy Kombucha (at Whole Foods or sim store) bubbles and you can add a little lemon juice or some berries to add the taste. I find that when I stop soda cold turkey, and drink other things instead (I have a Starbucks unsweetened green tea addiction) I dont even crave it anymore.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I used to be a soda addict too. Weening didn't work, I had to change my mindset. Focus on all the water you should be drinking instead and just stop buying and drinking it. It wasn't easy, but I rarely think about having a soda anymore. And when I really want one, maybe 1-2 times a month, I'll have it (usually in a can for portion control) and get the craving out of my system. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but it worked for me.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    What is it that you like about the soda? The caffeine? The bubbles? I would try to substitute it for something else that gives you what you want. Bubbly water may be something to try. It's refreshing and something more than still water. You can add a squeeze of lemon or lime or orange. If you need to caffeine, how about iced tea?
  • laurad1406
    Options
    I was completely addicted to Diet Coke. once I was down to one or two a day, I just completely cut it out. It was SO hard for about 3 days, then after about a week i took a sip and almost got sick! even diet was SO sweet! i just decided while the arguments are there for both sides, whether it's bad for you or not, whether it hinders weight loss or not, etc, the one thing i knew for sure was there are no actual benefits to drinking it. I've seriously upped my water intake, and if i need an afternoon pick me up i have a cup of hot tea with some honey! Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:
  • EuroDriver
    Options
    how many times have u seen people say they quit smoking.. next day u see them smoking... "their weening them selves off cigarettes" but the ones that actuly quit say they just did it cold turkey...

you need to just have some self-discipline and decide what is more important to you.. ur health or that acid can of soda that i use to clean rusted chrome at my detailing shop? and stick to ur decision no matter what!
  • snyakowa
    snyakowa Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends who are addicted to soda, People did tell me how soda can be bad for you, I was never a soda addict but I would drink it if there was nothing else in the house, so now I just buy juice V8s and stuff, just keep your mind off of it, drink more water and juices that are good for you like Mom2rh says substitute it for something instead of buying soda buy something else that you think you will love, like do you have a favorite juice?
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey! I am doing this with sugar! I don't know about you but for me if I have some I want more. If I have none, I can stay away from it longer and eventually don't even want it. But it will take a week or two to completely get rid of the craving. And drink tons and tons of water!
  • JennysMan
    Options
    What is it that you like about the soda? The caffeine? The bubbles? I would try to substitute it for something else that gives you what you want. Bubbly water may be something to try. It's refreshing and something more than still water. You can add a squeeze of lemon or lime or orange. If you need to caffeine, how about iced tea?

I like the sharpness of the taste. I like the bubbles. I like the ice coldness. I like all of those things wrapped up into one effervescent experience. I do get my water in each day. I do drink my water.

It doesn't help that I work at a place where I can drink all that I care to drink for free. I feel a bit like a drug addict working in a pharmacy. And no, I'm not going to quit my job to escape the temptation...not a rational proposition.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What about make a rule. No soda at work. We have candies around here like crazy and I made the rule for myself no candies from work. Then eventually went to none at all. Whatever works for you :)
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My name is Leah, and I am Diet Coke addict.

I keep saying that I'll taper off, but it's just not happening... I'm back to "whatever. There are worse habits out there!" again.
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I had a job like that for a long time. It's so hard to resist the sodas in the fridge. When I worked there, one day the supply girl told me that I was drinking at least 4 or 5 a day since I was the only Dr. Pepper drinker in the office. So one day I kept the empty cans out where I could see them and was so appalled, I stopped drinking them. I rarely drink soda now.

Do you like iced tea? Topo Chico is a carbonated mineral water that is tasty ice cold with some lime.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Dr. Oz a while back. Here is the explanation on the website.
    http://www.drozfans.com/dr-ozs-advice/dr-oz-28-day-national-challenge-soda-soft-drinks/
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    What about make a rule. No soda at work. We have candies around here like crazy and I made the rule for myself no candies from work. Then eventually went to none at all. Whatever works for you :)

That's a good suggestion. I'd probably avoid it at work, but reward myself by allowing myself to take 1 with me on the way out of the door. As for your original question, if you like regular soda, drink regular soda, but log it.
  • soloral
    Options
    To break my soda habit, I switched to coffee. Instead of opening a soda, go to a coffee shop or brew up some at the house.

In order to quit, you have to break the caffeine addiction.
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I struggled for years to quit my habit of drinking Diet Mt Dew from the time I got up til I went to bed. I would drink up to 12 a day. I tried and tried to quit and couldn't. I finally was able to quit after a trip to the dentist a year ago. She told me my teeth were being eaten away by the acid in the diet pop. That wake up call was enough for me to stop drinking it all together!! I decided I would rather have teeth when I got older than to continue drinking the stuff!!
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did have headaches for about a week but I was able to stop!!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried to stop drinking Coke, I tried to allow myself one small (12oz) per day.
    Next thing I knew I was back up to 2-3 then that was all I was drinking again.

This time, I said I was serious, something came from within and I just stopped. I said no more.

I still have them out in the fridge. But, I only drink one when I have a migraine.

I had a slight headache for the first week or so and then it went away. (Caffine withdrawl.)
  • BotsMomJ
    BotsMomJ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I say - Cold Turkey! It's the only way! You just gotta do it! How bad do you want it? (The weight loss, that is.)