Polar FT 7 Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hi,

Does anyone else use this monitor? I have found that no matter what the intensity of the exercise it seems to count calories ONLY based on duration. Say, I do fast walking/jogging for 50 min, it is the SAME calorie usage as a 50 min leisurely walk. I know this isn't correct. Since we accidently threw out the manual, I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and if maybe I have a setting wrong?

Thanks!

Laura :)

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Does anyone else use this monitor? I have found that no matter what the intensity of the exercise it seems to count calories ONLY based on duration. Say, I do fast walking/jogging for 50 min, it is the SAME calorie usage as a 50 min leisurely walk. I know this isn't correct. Since we accidently threw out the manual, I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and if maybe I have a setting wrong?

Thanks!

Laura :)
    I have one, but I have no answer.

You can find the PDF full manual online.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    No I have the same exact HRM and never see this...
  • jeff261159
    Options
    That seems wrong, if you google "ft7 polar user guide" you'll find somewhere you can download the manual for free. Message me if you need any help!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    DOes your heart rate change while you are working out? i.e. is it lower walking then doing something more intense?

Are you getting the strap wet before putting it on? You should be for it to work properly.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have been using this monitor since February and have never had this problem, perhaps double check your settings. as others have mentioned, check out the manual online, or if you go to a gym, have someone there look at it for you (my gym sells them and the manager is very familiar with all the models).

Good Luck!!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, and for me the amount of calories varies greately depending on the intensity of the activity. For example: on monday I ran/jogged for 52 min and burned just over 500 calories; yesterday I did a low impact, compact elliptical for 44 minutes and burned only 200 calories.

I agree that you can find the manual on line, on Polar website.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be doing that... I know that if I do a fast walk on a treadmill at an incline compared to a leisurely walk that I burn more calories on the treadmill then I do on the walk.

What were the condtions of each situation? Sometimes heat can affect the calorie reading.