Desperately trying

Options
chrissytink
chrissytink Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2020 in Getting Started
Hi everyone, I am kind of a noob. I used the app back in 2011/12 after the birth of my eldest child. Then stopped. Now after having my youngest back in 2017 and lock down this year, my weight is at an all time high and I'm getting down. My motivation is so low and my self control is awful. My mum has also joined and though we do not live close we are going to try to motivate each other via phone.
My struggle is going to be the snacking. Always my downfall. So if anyone has any low calorie tricks to help settle my sweet tooth cravings during the day I'd be really grateful.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Perhaps just factor in some sweet snacks and settle for a slightly slower rate of loss, faster isn't necessarily better and if you're not making yourself miserable it's a lot easier to stick to.

Things like Fibre One Brownies, Skinny Whip, etc are under 100 calories. You can also get kids treat size bars of things.

If you want to forego snacking altogether, you could always try adding a little sweet stuff to your main meals. I often throw some dark chocolate chips and banana on my breakfast which is quite filling or crumble a little meringue nest on some berries as a dessert.
  • jacobsl2
    jacobsl2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have quite a sweet tooth.. I factor in one sweet treat to my calories everyday. I love low fat fudge bars from Kroger - 80 calories, delicious, and does not taste like low fat! I also really like ghirardelli chocolate squares. Each one is 50-70 calories, and they are individually wrapped. Don't swear off all treats, but rather find small treats to include everyday. This is helpful to prevent binge eating/ burnout. You can do it!
  • chrissytink
    chrissytink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    Yes that's what I need to do. Next time I go shops I will scan a few things to see what is best. Having two small kids doesn't help as we have biscuits and chocolate and crisps on the house for them.
    Times like right now when I am feeling peckish (even after having lunch) I just wanna grab the treats and junk.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you assume snacking will be your downfall then it will be. I am in favor of compromise and going with low calorie snacks but I am also in favor of realizing that you can control what you put in your mouth. You just have to take charge. Cravings and urges are optional. Under normal conditions hunger is not an emergency.

Your most likely have daily activities or times of day in which you have associated with snacking. It creates an autopilot eating response. It can be mightily unpleasant to break out of autopilot. You might feel like you are doing wrong or unnatural but it gets easier.

Do find lower calorie snacks but try to only eat them at least 30 minutes after you have the urge to eat them and also choose sometimes not to eat them at all.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    Yes that's what I need to do. Next time I go shops I will scan a few things to see what is best. Having two small kids doesn't help as we have biscuits and chocolate and crisps on the house for them.
    Times like right now when I am feeling peckish (even after having lunch) I just wanna grab the treats and junk.

Is your lunch filling enough? That might be another thing to bear in mind, we all have individualised satiety and preferences. I am rarely hungry before 10/11am so I eat a late breakfast and have a light lunch, I am usually ravenous in the evenings so I will have a heavier meal and usually more Fat/Protein as that is more satiating to me than a Carb heavy meal.