I'm confused. Suggestions for morning post workout meal

I'm having a hard time shedding fat. Losing weight.

I work out first thing in the morning. 30 to 40 minutes. Either boxing (stand alone bag), HIIT cardio or weight training. 3-4 a week.

I usually have a berry and banana with vegan protein after. I've been doing this FOREVER.

I need some suggestions. I think I need a diet overhaul in general.

Suggestions on some early morning post-workout meals.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Are you vegan?

If so, how about oatmeal with protein pow?

If not, how about egg white omelette?

Also, when I know my workouts are gonna go hard and long, I sip a protein shake while working out (instead of water).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    So breakfast?
    Smoothies don't do it for me. I rotate between fruit and yoghurt (add stuff like chia, hemp, sunflower, flax for fat and such) or oatmeal with a fruit and some peanut butter or something, or if I'm not up to much I might just have toast. My oatmeal I always have cold - I put my milk on the oats first thing and when I'm done with coffee they are good to go.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Here are a few metabolism boosting recipes which will also replenish you with protein and carbohydrates post-workout.

Oat powder with almonds

Quinoa with avocado and dried fruit

Black beans with brown rice and scrambled egg
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    You don’t say much about the rest of your diet so hard to say. I do like a little fat from peanut butter or eggs etc in the morning to help get though to lunch. But barring that you need a huge lunch or snacks because of hunger it seems like your post workout meal is not the issue unless it is a huge portion. Maybe look elsewhere in your diet?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    That sounds like a perfectly good post-workout meal, if you enjoy it.

I exercise first thing in the morning and afterwards I'll usually have leftovers from the previous night's dinner or some coffee with oat milk and protein powder.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Here are a few metabolism boosting recipes which will also replenish you with protein and carbohydrates post-workout.

Oat powder with almonds

With the exception of the eggs, none of these really have protein in them, let alone good quality proteins that have sufficient L-Luecine amounts.

OP, how much protein are you consuming per day? How many calories are you consuming? Do you follow a plant based diet? What does your workout look like, meaning, do you follow a structured lifting routine or just do random moves?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Nuts are more fat than a protein. It's difficult to make a complete protein and fill your macros with nuts.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    vc6ehhdsfapk.jpg
  • LovelyYogaPants
    LovelyYogaPants Posts: 8 Member
    I’d remove peanut butter / nut butters from the diet if you’re not measuring precise amounts every time. I use 1 tsp of sunflower butter, low carb - high fiber wrap, and a small banana (measured) then cut it in half and eat that post workout.

Biggest bang for the buck is greek yogurt. Make sure you get the low calorie ones.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Oat powder with almonds

With the exception of the eggs, none of these really have protein in them, let alone good quality proteins that have sufficient L-Luecine amounts.

One cup of black beans has 15 grams of protein and one cup of quinoa has 9 grams of protein with a profile of nine amino acids.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    I eat 20-40g of lean protein in the hour after my morning workout and find that it helps build muscle. There is no cheat to cut fat faster.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »

Oat powder with almonds

One cup of black beans has 15 grams of protein and one cup of quinoa has 9 grams of protein with a profile of nine amino acids.

It takes 2.5g of L-Luecine to stimulate muscle protein synthesis, for protein turnover. This generally takes 20-30g of high quality proteins to achieve that. Quinoa and beans have very little L-Luecine. In fact, their are negligible levels of it. So while they have a profile of amino acids, its not in the correct dosage. Plant based proteins are inferior.

The OP would be better off consuming whey (even plant whey (combination of several plant based protein), or a meal with 30g plus of protein if they care about nutritional timing.