Sleeve Surgery success stories please?

Options
I just had surgery this week. Had 2-3 people I know tell me it was the best thing they ever did, they've lost about 100 lbs, and they would do it again in a heartbeat.
But looking in Fitnesspal.... I mostly just see posts from people talking about how it has failed. How they have gained so much weight back. And it seems now they are just doing what I could have done without surgery - tracking 1200 cals a day - but without the extra fun of tons of vitamins and avoiding certain foods.
I really need to hear from those who have had positive experiences. Or maybe those people aren't on MFP.

Replies

• JosieComesHome
    JosieComesHome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had it in 2019 and I'm really glad I did. The thing to do is take advantage of the first six months after surgery, when you'll really find it mentally easier than you ever have before to not overeat. I have gotten over many of the restrictions I had physically those first few months --- I can eat a Quarter Pounder now, whereas at first, there was no way -- but the thing is, I stop after the hamburger, and I'm perfectly content. Be super compliant as long as you can with the guidelines. I can eat almost anything now, but there are things I still don't have any desire to eat (pizza, KFC, many sweets) and it's just so good to not have to fight cravings all the time.

Congratulations on taking a great step for your long term health! I truly wish I'd done it 10 years ago.
    And if your program offers a post surgery support group, go! (or Zoom, as the case may be).
  • Bloomer723
    Bloomer723 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    4.5 years post op. I had maintained my loss until COVID (gained 13 pounds). I started snacking and eating around my restriction by eating all day, food items I knew I shouldn't, likely out of boredom or anxiety. Your surgery doesn't fail but you do by making bad choices. Surgery reduces your stomach but doesn't address the mental part of why you were overweight or overate in the first place. Tracking and making good choices will be required after the first year of surgery. In 3 months you'll be so happy you had the surgery and as you lose weight and begin to feel and look better you'll be motivated to stay on track.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    You would likely find success stories (as well as those who haven't had success for various reasons) on a WLS specific forum, try bariatricpal forums.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    These are second had but I have a couple. A friend of mine from years back had the sleeve and lost a ton of weight, and felt amazing afterwards. She always talked about it being a tool rather than a solution because it doesn't do the work for you. It does, however, help you through the cravings and most importantly it basically reteaches you how to eat. Another friend of mine had the surgery a couple years ago and he looks amazing, again because he relearned how to eat and changed his relationship to food. He also says to use it as a tool and look at the reasons why you overate. You can definitely retrain your eye and mind to see portion sizes differently and be satisfied with far less. But yeah, digging deep within yourself and understanding why things happened in the first place, then being motivated by the rapid weight loss the sleeve can give, can really help you.

With anybody though, sleeve or non sleeved, it's also important to know what you are going to do in maintenance so you don't backslide. Both friends told me that it's important to not try to cheat around the sleeve but instead let it be your teaching tool. Good luck to you!
  • ElleWJae
    ElleWJae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved in 2015. I started at 399 and with the help of surgery got down to my lowest point since the surgery of 288 which probably took about a year for me. After the surgery, I've had multiple skeletal issues which I partially attribute to lack of nutrition as a result of the surgery. Seriously, take the vitamins however you've got to get them in. I've had two back surgeries, due to degenerative discs and most recently a knee surgery due to a tear in October of 2019. My joints are forever in pain now. I think the jump start was worthwhile; I was ready to be committed to working out after I started losing but then all of these body problems started. Around January 2020, once I started healing from the knee surgery I found myself more motivated and in the gym daily but then COVID! So now I'm back to trying to get back to my pre-COVID weight of 290. That's my story and I consider it a success. For the last 5 years I've maintained an approximately 100lb weight loss. I know there's no way I would have done it without it especially with having so many periods of limited mobility. My knee is still healing but my pouch is still working for me and together I know I will eventually rid myself of these last 100lbs and reach my goal weight of 190!

Tips: no carbonated drinks, get in all of the protein (my favorite: Premier Protein Chocolate or Vanilla blended with 2tbsp of PB fit is delicious and protein packed), wake up drinking water, take the vitamins!!! and MOVE your body as much as possible (5 minutes a day 4 times a day will get you to 20 minutes daily). Best of luck to you!

*One last tip: Please ignore the ignorant comments made by people who haven't walked a minute or a mile in your shoes. Let them address their own internal shortcomings before they provide their unsolicited opinions of your choice for yourself. Clearly fundemental reading comprehension is hard for some and it's early in this post so I'm sure there's more to come, but pay them no mind. They have no clue what you've gone through and you'll endure to reach your goal! You got this!!!*
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve almost 6 years ago. It is not a magic fix. I was 400 lbs when I had the surgery. I made it down to 198. It gave me the bump I needed to succeed. It was the best thing I ever did and I would do it again in a heart beat. I however did not stick to healthy eating and portion size. My pouch expanded and I can easily fit a large meal in it. I gained back 50lbs (this took me 5 years but it still happened). I have since decided to go back to what was working. Watch what I eat and how much of it I eat. I am down 40 lbs and going to get to my goal weight of 174.

I have several friends that did this journey with me. Some have succeeded and kept the weight off and some have gained it all back! It is only a tool. Use it. You can do it.
  • jamilwilliams
    jamilwilliams Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve surgery at the end of May. I am down 52 lbs, and I am expected to lose about 100 lbs overall. (I hope to do better than that and lose about 115-120!) I am DEDICATED to doing what I am supposed to do and how I am supposed to do it. I have had many friends and family who have had the surgery -- some have gained back a good portion of their weight but some have maintained this whole time (10+ years). I have found that the practices of the ones who have maintained are to keep taking their vitamins, keep getting in their protein and keep exercising. They "cheat" by having decadent dinners or desserts at times but they don't let it become the norm for them again. This is what I plan to do with my life! I have viewed this surgery as a "rebirth" of my health -- a chance to re-learn how to live a healthy life. The quick drop in weight has given me the energy that I need to pursue an active life. I walk at least an hour each day (not all at one time), and I swim laps in my parents pool on the weekends. I am starting hand weight exercises a couple of times each week just because it is something that I can do while I am watching Midsomer Murders and "winding down" in the evenings. ;)

I say all of this to say that this is a WONDERFUL time for you! I have had great success with my sleeve surgery and I am only 3 months out! :) Pay attention to your body and do not hesitate to contact your doctor if you feel like there is anything happening that should not be happening. My surgeon and his staff have been very attentive, for which I am thankful. Beware of constipation issues, due to vitamins and heavy protein levels. Beware of higher/stronger menstrual cramps during your time of the month. Beware of yeast infections due to high vitamin levels.

Another note -- MFP will not post my daily food diary because it believes that I am eating unhealthy. I consume only 550-700 calories per day, but I still log in order to keep up with my protein and exercise numbers. It also helps me keep from consuming too much fat or carbs.

I also agree with EllaWJae when she said -- *One last tip: Please ignore the ignorant comments made by people who haven't walked a minute or a mile in your shoes. Let them address their own internal shortcomings before they provide their unsolicited opinions of your choice for yourself. Clearly fundamental reading comprehension is hard for some and it's early in this post so I'm sure there's more to come, but pay them no mind. They have no clue what you've gone through and you'll endure to reach your goal! You got this!!!*

You have got this and you will do great things!! You should be proud of what you have done and who you are! You are taking control of your life -- go get 'em girl! :):)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Addressing HOW MUCH you eat isn't addressed MENTALLY by a sleeve. It is physically, but if you had to carry 100lbs up some stairs each time you wanted to eat a candy bar, you might not do it. Take away that 100lbs, then what's stopping you from doing it? The mental aspect of overeating should be addressed well before surgery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree, but I think it is more nuanced than just the psychology. We have to look at more of the neurologic issues with over eating. When we can have rats endure extreme cold, foot shocks, and will starve themselves for several days to get high reward foods, psychology is just a small part. Yes, we have a neocortex that rats dont have, allowing us to make rational decisions, we are still subject to the "old" lower brain. The up side to certain WLS are, they might bypass the area of the digestive tract that sends reward signals to the brain. This could be why people who have them, report less cravings for these high reward foods. We have to FIX the environment that is just sending these signals to the lower level brain constantly. If there is NO candy bar in the house, no thoughts of going to get it. If someone had to get up and go to the store, it becomes an issue of optimal forging theory. Basically R= time÷effort.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I agree with @ninerbuff and you, too @psychod787. With any major weight loss with or without WLS there is a Honeymoon Phase. The appetite control center is located in the brain and not the stomach. WLS patients can eat it all back just like the rest of us. I have relatives with WLS and I wish I could tell you they didn't but they did. Everyone of them within 5 years. You can remove most of a stomach and still eat it all back. Long term management with your medical professionals is where the rubber meets the road. Many have come back to MFP after WLS wanting another magical diet to fix what the surgery could not. They don't go back to their surgeon and dietitians for some reason. It is a mistake. When it starts to go sideways go back there as soon as possible.
    With every passing day and year the ground grows colder for finding your balance from eating it all back with or without WLS.

The body can fight against you mentally and physically for 2-5 years. It is and will be a lifelong effort to find long term weight stability with or without the surgery. The Honeymoon Phase is the rapid weight loss phase for the first year or so. Years 2-5 is the critical phase for really maintaining your focus and consistency.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!