Garmin steps

Good morning everyone! I have my garmin connect account connected to myfitnesspal, but is there a way for the steps to auto sync in myfitnesspal? That way it shows my exercise calories there automatically? Thank you!
«1

Replies

  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 5,714 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'autosync'?
    If MFP and Garmin Connect are connected, then you should see your step count and a calorie adjustment in MFP. (although sometimes there can be a delay before MFP shows the up-to-date numbers).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Why do you say you know they are connected?
  • kicking_horse
    kicking_horse Posts: 14 Member
    I am connected - they both say that I am online, but there isn't a calorie adjustment or tracking of activity showing up in MyFitnessPal
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    For web account view.
    So your GC shows these 2 items regarding MFP:

    3bjbjx9y2mdx.png

    And MFP shows this regarding GC:

    spzwkplo4axo.png

    Because when you use terms that aren't actually the terms used (online) it just makes me wonder if you are looking where I'm thinking.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 5,714 Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm wondering: you say you are connected, but are your MFP and Garmin accounts connected to eachother?

    You can add Garmin to MFP through 'Apps and Devices' (on the app anyway, not sure on the website)

    Adding MFP to Garmin Connect is a bit trickier I think, I don't quite remember how I did that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    And currently Garmin changed their landing page for accepting request to link accounts, and either they didn't tell MFP or MFP didn't update it.

    But it can still be done.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Depending on how you have your activity level set you may not see it. I have mine set to 'sedentary' (since I work at my desk) then Garmin takes care of the rest (pretty much any steps get counted as calorie adjustment). If your profile set to active or very active it may not be counting the steps since it already accounts for them in your normal daily activity.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 5,714 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Depending on how you have your activity level set you may not see it. I have mine set to 'sedentary' (since I work at my desk) then Garmin takes care of the rest (pretty much any steps get counted as calorie adjustment). If your profile set to active or very active it may not be counting the steps since it already accounts for them in your normal daily activity.

    Even if you don't get a positive calorie adjustment (and haven't allowed negative adjustments), MFP still registers your step count from Garmin. Or at least that's the way it works for me (Vivoactive 4s).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Maybe the Fenix/Forerunner's are different. This is an example from yesterday - I ran in the morning and then walked a few miles in the evening (I did not record it as an activity). All I get is an adjustment.

    hsv5qerw1gyc.png
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    More info when I clicked the 'i' link.

    4xnl3n2sgbv4.png
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 5,714 Member
    I'm not sure where to find the step count on the website (I see the same type of info as your printscreen), but on the app it's clear the steps are being counted:

    d1xa81j7p0l8.png
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited August 2020
    Wow, thanks. I learned something new. I see the same thing as you on the app. I have never looked at it before.

    Today I see nothing though. I wonder if I'll see it eventually (I've walked a whopping 986 steps so far today :D ).

    Edit to add: The steps did show up after I opened the Garmin App.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Maybe the Fenix/Forerunner's are different. This is an example from yesterday - I ran in the morning and then walked a few miles in the evening (I did not record it as an activity). All I get is an adjustment.

    hsv5qerw1gyc.png

    I don't use the app - but I see nothing about steps for VF3 either.
    Only the same 2 adjustments you do.

    But, OP referenced exercise calories as if not showing either - and workouts sync fine.

    Well, if GC isn't being held ransom anyway.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks. I learned something new. I see the same thing as you on the app. I have never looked at it before.

    Today I see nothing though. I wonder if I'll see it eventually (I've walked a whopping 986 steps so far today :D ).

    Edit to add: The steps did show up after I opened the Garmin App.

    This^^ you have to open garmin
  • chelle4055
    chelle4055 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm also having this issue. MFP won't sync my steps accurately. It seems to update in the late morning and then not again no matter what I do. It will register the exercise I do using the activity tracker function on my vivoactive 3, but not the updated step count. Opening the connect app doesn't work. My steps were stuck at the 3,700 I had by lunch and never updated to the 11,000 at the end of the day. Since I have negative calorie adjustment on it was really messing with my calories for the day. For now I removed the Garmin from MFP and just mentally calculate my calories based on my desired deficit of 1,000 per day to lose 2lb per week.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    chelle4055 wrote: »
    I'm also having this issue. MFP won't sync my steps accurately. It seems to update in the late morning and then not again no matter what I do. It will register the exercise I do using the activity tracker function on my vivoactive 3, but not the updated step count. Opening the connect app doesn't work. My steps were stuck at the 3,700 I had by lunch and never updated to the 11,000 at the end of the day. Since I have negative calorie adjustment on it was really messing with my calories for the day. For now I removed the Garmin from MFP and just mentally calculate my calories based on my desired deficit of 1,000 per day to lose 2lb per week.

    So later in the day a workout you just did will get to Garmin Connect and sync over to MFP to show up?

    How about calories, does it update or stuck at earlier sync number?

    Find in your Exercise diary the entry for Garmin adjustment, tap and hold - what's the time stamp there?
    As recent as the workout?

    Because if not, indeed you are getting very bad effect, workout is added, but in effect removed too - so no credit for it.

    Because steps doesn't carry calories - 2 different figures sent by tracker accounts. Workouts and calories could be syncing over just fine, and only steps is missing for some reason?
    In which case - does MFP really have that great a step logger compared to Garmin?

    Your Garmin Connect account does show the new figures later in the day for steps and calories?
    You tried hitting Sync Now from that side?

    Are food calorie totals showing up in GC correctly from MFP then?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    edited August 2020
    I find sometimes I have to toggle my bluetooth (ETA on my phone) on an off for my Garmin steps to sync with MFP.

    (Android/Garmin VA3 Music)
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I was just looking at this yesterday myself as I did most of my walking after 2 pm and it hadn't updated at all. 9pm at night it still said it was basing my exercise off 1:32 pm. I kept refreshing MFP on my computer as I had just come in from a 3 mile walk and nothing happened, but as soon as I opened the Garmin Connect app on my phone my exercise calories updated on MFP.
    I hadn't looked on earlier days, but they had eventually updated I think... maybe not and I had a few more calories to my credit than I was given, but I would rather that than thinking I could eat more I guess.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't use the app and it immediately syncs from GC to MFP after my devices have synced - either a workout or the daily stats.

    Now, my VF3 doesn't sync to GC but once daily, when I set it off.

    Oh - MFP doesn't init the sync, 3rd party does.
    MFP just has rules as to how often they can send data.
    Like when meal calorie totals are sent across there is no request for data to send back.
    But some will take that opportunity to do so - Fitbit used to.

    But I have found that GC will send data for 4 days prior just fine. And actually even update it which I was really shocked about 2 days prior.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Garmin and MFP are smart enough to not count my steps double during my runs. Tomorrow I expect to have 35000+ steps but they won't be counted on MFP since I'll be running a race. They will still show up on Garmin. Now that I know where to look I'll be curious to see if they show on MPF as well (even though they are not counted).