Feeling awful week 2 of diet. Please help

Options
Hi All,

I’m in week 2 of dieting, and sticking to it fairly well. I’ve been sticking to a 1500 calorie goal and exercising 3-4 times a week burning 200-400 calories when I work out. Basically, I’ve been sticking with it.

I thought it would feel great to eat healthier, but for the past few days I’ve felt awful. I’m constantly fatigued, my stomach is unsettled, and I get really irritable.

I’ve heard from my mom and a nutrition website that this can happen after starting a new diet. Mostly I’ve heard about Keto Flu, but I’m not on a keto diet. I probably have cut some carbs by eating more veggies and less bread and sugar, but not a drastic amount.

Does anyone know if this is normal and how long it should last? Has anyone else experienced this? How did you get through it? What helps?

I’m basically drinking tons of water and taking naps when I can, but I feel there should be a better solution.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I don't recall feeling similar but that doesn't make it less real for you.

You're eating 1500 calories now. I'm curious how many calories you were having 3 + weeks ago. And how did you calculate 1500 exactly?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Are you getting plenty of protein?...I think the second week is hard...you do not have to exercise to lose weight....
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It’s possible you’re actually sick and it’s nothing to do with diet.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that I was suffering from an electrolyte imbalance, and my symptoms are similar to yours.
    A little sea salt under my tongue, and a powerade every now and then helped a lot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    If your diet has resulted in increased fiber, that can result in some digestive discomfort. Actually, it's possible for many different changes in dietary composition to have initial discomfort.

I don't want to be encouraging people to power through food allergy/sensitivity symptoms - not at all. But some mild symptoms can just be adaptation, either of our body, or of the particular gut microbiome we happen to have.

I wish I had a cite, but I read a small study that had people cross over from vegetarian to omnivore, and vice-versa. Microbiome adaptation was faster than the researchers had expected, but it still took a couple of weeks. Now, that won't always have symptoms, but it can - things like gas, for example, that can be a temporary discomfort.

If it persists, it might be time for a doctor or dietitian.

Best wishes in sorting it out!
  • BadNew54u
    BadNew54u Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'll just share my experience with weight loss and what didn't work for me and what did. Everyone is different, so trying different things in my experience is the best idea. I started with a Caloric deficit and exercise like you are right now and that did not work for me. I also felt off, not sick, but not right. My body wasn't happy with me to say the least. Ultimately what did work for me was fasting and intermittent fasting. You should consult a doctor if you have any medical problems, I was healthy as I could be for a 250 pound mass of human pudding. I wont suggest the snake diet or 7+ fasts like I did, which was great for me but I don't think most can drink salt water for 7 days. I do however recommend intermittent fasting with 8 hour eating windows. I eat breakfast at 10am, and dinner at 6pm. Nothing after but plain water. I'm currently bulking so If I see that I've gained a few pounds of excess fat I just take a full day off without eating and resume my intermittent fasting the next day. I never even get hungry anymore except in the morning right before 10am. It's like my body knows it's eating time and saves the hunger for it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe its your tons of water that you say you are drinking. You could be drinking too much water which is not a good thing.
  • Katelookingreat
    Katelookingreat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insights. They gave me some things to try and you have some good questions.

So first to clarify my stats, I guess. I was 175.6 lbs when I started. Now 2 weeks later I’m 173.3, which seems like about a pound a week which is what seems to be the standard. I definitely want to lose 20 pounds, and if that goes well, losing 40 total would get me back to my college weight, but no more. I basically gained 40 lbs over 3 years in graduate school, due largely to a medication I am no longer on and terrible mental health which I’m much better now.

I didn’t start counting calories until I decided to diet, so I don’t have a super strong idea of what it looked like before. Estimates from calorie calculators said maintaining my weight would be 2100 calories. Before my diet I had slowly gained 6 pounds in about 6 months, so I’m guessing I was eating 2100 to 2300 calories before.

I’ve had a few days where I have just eaten anything I wanted at family picnics and restaurants ( I just got back from vacation) and those were 1700-1900 calorie days, so that’s another estimate of what I might usually eat.

I have been eating about 18-20% protein every day. By eating more fruits, veggies and a very grainy banana bread, I think I’m getting a lot more fiber. The fiber and the gut microbiome change could definitely explain the stomach upset, and that effect would luckily be temporary. My body can adjust to that.

I don’t think it’s the water, but I’ll keep an eye on it. I know I don’t have to exercise but I enjoy it and I have the time. I used to be very active as a dancer and I miss the feeling of being in shape. I’ll try adding electrolytes after working out at least so I’m not depriving my body of them. Can you ever really have too many electrolytes? I don’t know.

There is a final factor that I’m really hoping it’s not. When I diet, I always get really strong urges to restrict, so my challenge is not getting down to 1500 calories, it’s getting up to 1500 calories. I have been trying so very hard to overcome these urges and eat enough while also eating good foods. Maybe I’m not doing as well as I thought on this front. Am I just crazy? This is why intermittent fasting will not work for me. It’s too easy for me to not eat enough. I definitely don’t need a plan that tells me not to eat, and I don’t think I could squeeze 1500 or more calories into only 8 hours. It also doesn’t work for my schedule, but I have heard that intermittent fasting works well for other people.

Your continued insight is very welcome. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot. If this persists for another week, I will seek a doctor to help me get to a healthy weight in a healthy way. I’m glad I have this forum for support. With all hope, it’s just my stomach adjusting to a new diet and I’ll be back to normal in a week.

Thanks all!
  • SunflowerQueen36
    SunflowerQueen36 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Maybe could be a sensitivity to a food or drink you are eating?? Something your body isn't used to.

Also, I find when I restrict, it usually ends in a binge. So I have 1 treat a day (usually 1/2 of a serving) so I don't feel like I am missing something.

Try getting between 15-20 grams of protein with each meal. This will make you feel full longer as it takes more time for your body to break down the proteins.

Best of luck doll 😘
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insights. They gave me some things to try and you have some good questions.

So first to clarify my stats, I guess. I was 175.6 lbs when I started. Now 2 weeks later I’m 173.3, which seems like about a pound a week which is what seems to be the standard. I definitely want to lose 20 pounds, and if that goes well, losing 40 total would get me back to my college weight, but no more. I basically gained 40 lbs over 3 years in graduate school, due largely to a medication I am no longer on and terrible mental health which I’m much better now.

I didn’t start counting calories until I decided to diet, so I don’t have a super strong idea of what it looked like before. Estimates from calorie calculators said maintaining my weight would be 2100 calories. Before my diet I had slowly gained 6 pounds in about 6 months, so I’m guessing I was eating 2100 to 2300 calories before.

I’ve had a few days where I have just eaten anything I wanted at family picnics and restaurants ( I just got back from vacation) and those were 1700-1900 calorie days, so that’s another estimate of what I might usually eat.

I have been eating about 18-20% protein every day. By eating more fruits, veggies and a very grainy banana bread, I think I’m getting a lot more fiber. The fiber and the gut microbiome change could definitely explain the stomach upset, and that effect would luckily be temporary. My body can adjust to that.

I don’t think it’s the water, but I’ll keep an eye on it. I know I don’t have to exercise but I enjoy it and I have the time. I used to be very active as a dancer and I miss the feeling of being in shape. I’ll try adding electrolytes after working out at least so I’m not depriving my body of them. Can you ever really have too many electrolytes? I don’t know.

There is a final factor that I’m really hoping it’s not. When I diet, I always get really strong urges to restrict, so my challenge is not getting down to 1500 calories, it’s getting up to 1500 calories. I have been trying so very hard to overcome these urges and eat enough while also eating good foods. Maybe I’m not doing as well as I thought on this front. Am I just crazy? This is why intermittent fasting will not work for me. It’s too easy for me to not eat enough. I definitely don’t need a plan that tells me not to eat, and I don’t think I could squeeze 1500 or more calories into only 8 hours. It also doesn’t work for my schedule, but I have heard that intermittent fasting works well for other people.

Your continued insight is very welcome. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot. If this persists for another week, I will seek a doctor to help me get to a healthy weight in a healthy way. I’m glad I have this forum for support. With all hope, it’s just my stomach adjusting to a new diet and I’ll be back to normal in a week.

Thanks all!

Have you cut out caffeine? Caffeine withdrawal can make you feel surprisingly icky.

If you have restricting tendencies, there's no reason to try IF if you think it could trigger you. The prinary weight loss benefit of IF is that it makes it easier for you to stay in a defecit. Since that's not a problem you're having, I'd avoid it, at least for now.

I don't think you've mentioned exercise, is it possible you're overdoing it? Are you exercising outdoors and might have triggered some mild allergies?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thanks all!

Have you cut out caffeine? Caffeine withdrawal can make you feel surprisingly icky.

If you have restricting tendencies, there's no reason to try IF if you think it could trigger you. The prinary weight loss benefit of IF is that it makes it easier for you to stay in a defecit. Since that's not a problem you're having, I'd avoid it, at least for now.

I don't think you've mentioned exercise, is it possible you're overdoing it? Are you exercising outdoors and might have triggered some mild allergies?

To add a bit to that thought: If you stopped exercising for a time (during that grad school phase, for example), and resumed exercise recently back to the schedule you used when fitter, that could indeed be part of the picture. A phase in of exercise load is a good idea, after deconditioning (or for beginners, of course, but it sounds like you're not a beginner).

If the exercise has increased at around the same time as calorie restriction, then timing of eating with respect to exercise could also be something to take a look at. (I do badly if I exercise fasted. Other people feel sick if they eat too close to exercise time, and sometimes it makes a difference what the specific exercise is).

100% that over-restricting (eating too little, losing too fast) can cause fatigue. (Are you eating back the exercise calories?)

You mention 18-20% protein. On 1500 calories, that would be about 68-75g (if I did the arithmetic right, which sometimes I don't 😬), but if you're not eating the full 1500 and still just getting the percent (so not the full 68-75g), I'd consider trying to bump that up a bit.

You don't say how tall you are, that I saw. 68-75g isn't crazy low for an average-sized woman based on USDA minimums to avoid malnutrition, but it's lower than many people around here think is optimal for someone who's losing weight and actively exercising. (I like 0.6-0.8g minimum per pound of healthy goal weight, personally**, but some would go higher. 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight is roughly equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass for many average people, BTW). If you've been a serious dancer, you may also have more muscle mass than typical for a woman of your height, which might make it better to have a higher than average protein intake to maintain that.

I didn't mention it earlier, but another question would be about fat intake: Fat is an essential nutrient. It can affect nutrient absorption (fat soluble vitamins), hormone levels, cellular health, and - particularly relevant if fiber has increased - smooth digestive throughput. Personally, I shoot for 0.35-0.45g per pound**, as a woman. It's not unusual for people to over-restrict fat while trying to lose weight, because fats are calorie dense. But we need some, so restricting it too far can cause problems.

** I'm not a dietitian nor do I have any formal credentials/education in nutrition, other than a truly *tiny* bit of nutrition for athletes info as part of coaching education. Those numbers are based on my reading, out of self-interest in sound nutrition, nothing more.