Curly Hair and Working Out

Options
2»

Replies

• fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm a 3a/2c. My hair is chin-length and doesn't go into a full ponytail.

I wear it loose or in a headband at the gym, unless it is wash day then I'll do a half pony.

I shower after every workout but I wash my hair twice a week, I just use either a shower cap or just wing it and let it get damp.

I wash and condition almost every time I wash my hair, it's low porosity so it doesn't do CO wash very well. I use a leave in or a curl cream, then a mist of spray oil, then gel - I use either LA looks gel (oldie, but goodie), Deva curl gel (haven't had any issues) or Eco gel (the Argan oil one). Plop (for ease) then either diffuse or air dry. Diffuse looks better but frizzier. I sleep in a satin bonnet.

I got a Deva Cut in early June and I don't think I've had a bad hair day since.

I got a DevaCut a few years ago and won’t go back! I think the biggest thing is that it’s cut dry more so than anything. I go for my first COVID-19 appointment this Saturday which is a haircut!
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    @melanin45 I’m a serious sweater too, I get your struggle there. I like the scarf idea!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I’m fascinated with all these replies—my hair was pretty straight but has gotten wavier with each pregnancy and now is probably 2b/c.

My two SILs (straight hair they blow out) talk about only washing their hair every few days and I do not understand this concept at all because a) sweaty workouts and b) product.

My hair was bra-strap length and I finally but it bc it would be a total rats nest of frizzy tangles by the end of the day, leading to me just pulling it into a tangled wet bun until I had time to laboriously work out the knots. It’s slightly below the shoulders now. Either way, if I want it to be curly it needs some product, or else we’re talking half wavy, part curly, mostly frizz. Between product and daily sweaty workouts, sometimes a split warmup/lift in am and long walk/jog in pm, how do I not wash my hair?? Seriously asking, I am curious how this works.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I’m fascinated with all these replies—my hair was pretty straight but has gotten wavier with each pregnancy and now is probably 2b/c.

My two SILs (straight hair they blow out) talk about only washing their hair every few days and I do not understand this concept at all because a) sweaty workouts and b) product.

My hair was bra-strap length and I finally but it bc it would be a total rats nest of frizzy tangles by the end of the day, leading to me just pulling it into a tangled wet bun until I had time to laboriously work out the knots. It’s slightly below the shoulders now. Either way, if I want it to be curly it needs some product, or else we’re talking half wavy, part curly, mostly frizz. Between product and daily sweaty workouts, sometimes a split warmup/lift in am and long walk/jog in pm, how do I not wash my hair?? Seriously asking, I am curious how this works.

Most wavies only skip 1 day between washes at most. At least that's what I've heard. When my hair was less curly (it has gotten curlier with each kid too), I washed every other day.

When your hair is straighter, it lies flat on your head. Sweat and oil gets trapped close to the scalp and need to be washed more. On the other hand, you can brush it out too to distribute it.

When it's curly, it stands away from the head much more. You do get some sweat, but it dries quickly. Sweat over most of the body does smell and just leaves a mild salty residue. Curly hair generally has less oil. I sweat buckets at the gym, but by the time I get home to shower my hair has already dried. I just leave it. You can't brush your hair to distribute oil or brush off dust/pollen/etc when it's curly, it's a trade-off I suppose. Brushing makes it frizzy and tangly.
  • sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have wavy hair and it's a struggle. I have to wash my hair every other day usually but the last week I have been washing it every day due a heatwave making me bathe in sweat all day long. Usually I do a light work out on days I'm not washing it and a more intense when I'm washing it afterwards. Sweat makes my hair look and feel greasy and all dry shampoo I tried made my scalp itch.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I section it into 3 braids overnight and working out. Afterwards I mist it with water, touch up my curls with cream styler or leave in conditioner and a mix of grapeseed and tea tree oil on my scalp and ends. If I have time I'll stretch it with a blow dryer on medium. Just pull my hair straight down then heat up my hair enough so the curl lengthens but I still have texture. No heat damage at all because it's not a constant thing. I also co wash every other week between thorough washing days.
  • Vjmikesell
    Vjmikesell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes! Dry shampoo!

I get Keratin treatments to tame my crazy/curly hair and in order to extend the life of the expensive treatments, I only wash every 3-4 days or so. Dry shampoo, just at the top near the roots, keeps oil and sweat at bay and helps keep hair looking washed and clean between hair washes.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Curly/Wavy hair translates into dry hair. This is what can cause frizz, breakage etc. I can go over a week without a real "wash" (conditioner only and normally with brown sugar and the tedious 5 min scalp scrub). The longer I go without a wash the healthier and curlier my waves get. If you have not yet, I recommend looking up the Curly Girl Method. There is a huge group on FB as well, Conditioner washing curly girl group. It is very inspiring to see before and after pics, see other's methods and products. I made the switch 4 years ago and I have never looked back!