Slowed Down Weight Loss

Options
I started my weight loss journey around April. My starting weight was 209, I am now 171, and can’t seem to lose any more. I weigh myself every monday, first thing when I wake up. Each time it still says 171, and I’ve been stuck at this for about a month. I’m tracking my calories, still in a 1,200 deficit, I eat healthy. I work out when I’m able but could definitely be more active. however nothing is making it go down. I know that weight loss slows down after the first couple months, but is it supposed to be this slow? Did I reach a plateau or something, if so how can I get past it? This has been seriously so demotivating for me but I haven’t let it stop me because consistency is key and I’ve gotten used to my healthy lifestyle. I just am wondering why it isn’t going down and what I can do to fix it. Thank you all in advance

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you start weighing every day and seeing the differences there. Water can make funny things happen on the scale. It can mask weeks worth of fat loss and even make you gain weight (which isn't fat)!

Without an open diary and details on how you're tracking your calories, it is difficult to offer any meaningful advice other than generalizations.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    It's been several months since you started. Your body is adapting to the eating pattern you have and is compensating for weight loss by SLOWING RESTING METABOLIC RATE. The way you combat this is to INCREASE the intensity of exercise. By forcing the muscle to work harder, not only do you burn more calories, but you RAISE your metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey around April. My starting weight was 209, I am now 171, and can’t seem to lose any more. I weigh myself every monday, first thing when I wake up. Each time it still says 171, and I’ve been stuck at this for about a month. I’m tracking my calories, still in a 1,200 deficit, I eat healthy. I work out when I’m able but could definitely be more active. however nothing is making it go down. I know that weight loss slows down after the first couple months, but is it supposed to be this slow? Did I reach a plateau or something, if so how can I get past it? This has been seriously so demotivating for me but I haven’t let it stop me because consistency is key and I’ve gotten used to my healthy lifestyle. I just am wondering why it isn’t going down and what I can do to fix it. Thank you all in advance

I am in the same position and almost same starting weight and current weight. I have been at same weight for months with same diet and exercise.

I know stress can affect weight loss and I'm sure a lot of people right now are really stressed, keep this in mind as well.

• Ghenry1892
    Ghenry1892 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same here, I started out at 101 kg, I'm now down to 83 kg. I just bought a good quality exercise bike online to see if this can jump start the weight lose again.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Have you re-Saved your goals etc in the Guided Set up? With less weight, the number of calories needed per day decreases, but MFP doesn't do that automatically even if you enter your weight each time you weigh yourself. Having lost 40lbs, it's possible that you're now eating more than you need to be, so your deficit and therefore weight loss rate has reduced.

Also,as asked above, are you weighing every solid that you consume or use in cooking? Are you measuring every liquid that you drink or use in cooking or as a dressing etc? Packet sizes are a rough guide only, eyeballing is a very rough guide! Also, check that the database entries you're selecting match the nutritional info on the packaging - a lot of database entries are wrong / out of date. If they're old and things have clearly changed, I try to update any that I want to use. Certainly in the UK, it seems common for companies to reduce sizes or make changes to use more of cheaper ingredients, but keep the price the same and, as a result, the nutritional info has changed; I guess that's happening elsewhere in the world.

And I second the idea of weighing yourself daily. You may be fluctuating up and down.