Downhill & Downstairs? Its a start :)

Options
Im 28 days into this MFP journey, and I'm 12 lbs down. I take that as a win
Interesting thing for me
I've turned on the calories adjustment from steps because I like to eat

When I first got back into this (3rd serious time) I was barely beating 5000 steps a day, and I did think this needed to be improved. So I have started walking deliberately downstairs at work, and on occasion at home, I will walk a long downhill route, and get the bus back. The amazing thing is, 4 weeks into this, on the occasion I need to go upstairs, or uphill, its way easier.

Am I cheating? possibly, but its working, and the weight is still coming off.
I'm not ready for the Gym yet, in fact I have a target weight in mind for that, but for those who are struggling with walking because your fitness is low, there's a gradual start. Go downhill :)

Replies

• Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Its not cheating, its great that you know what your starting point is and building on that gradually. While being able to see progress. Without causing injury. Well done!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised at how much effort goes into downstairs and downhill vs. flat ground. It is not as much effort as uphill, but the movement is much more "aggressive" than on flat ground in terms of balancing effort.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Yes, "just walking" sometimes gets a bad rap, but it shouldn't. We had a thread about that recently.

I have knee issues, and started with just walking as much as I could, gradually increasing, then adding in hills, and then other forms of exercise.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Definitely not cheating. Speaking as a very clumsy person who is probably going die while hiking down hill one day, there is certainly effort involved. And it sounds like it's helping you.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    You're doing great, and walking is underrated. So many people here have added walking to their efforts and had huge success. Sometimes I wonder what the success rate of people who incorporated some "just walking" vs those who joined a gym and planned to work out every day, are. I read a lot about walkers still walking, but overambitious gym goers slowly falling off track.

Keep it up. It seems to be working for you!
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Great work and thanks for the update. It's great to hear NSV's!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised at how much effort goes into downstairs and downhill vs. flat ground. It is not as much effort as uphill, but the movement is much more "aggressive" than on flat ground in terms of balancing effort.

This is very true. When I have done multi-day backpacking trips in the mounatins, I was always WAY more sore after downhill days than after climbing days. It's deceiving...you're not out of breath, but you're using different muscles and putting a lot of stress on hips and knees.

But, OP, sounds like you're making great progress, so congrats on that!
  • ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I have to pay more attention to my form going downhill because it will beat my body up. As far as walking goes, I have better weight loss results on a healthy walking pace than running. I'm not an expert, but I think it is anaerobic vs aerobic. I do both running and walking though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Glad you've found something good for yourself and that it's working!

Other people starting out may find a flat surface easier than either downhill or uphill. Main concern in reference to downhill is pressure on joints and ligaments especially for very obese people first starting out.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,994 Member
    Options
    Totally lost as to how this would constitute 'cheating'

any way that one can increase one's everyday life movement is good - it doesnt have to be designated 'excercise'

getting off a bus stop earlier and walking rest of way, going up or down stairs instead of elevator, parking a block back from the shop

and yes, start it gradually - get off one bus stop sooner, then 2, do it once a week then everyday, walk one flight of stairs, then 2 or 3 and so on.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This is not cheating. It’s building up at a smart and reasonable pace for you! Pretty soon you’ll look forward to the uphills. 🤗