Junk Food Binge

Spending so much time in the house is not benefiting me in terms of my weight loss journey. I break my fast at least 5 nights a week and I can’t stay away from the junk food. What are some healthy snack alternatives to replace all of the chips I’m eating? (I buy it for the kids but I end up indulging every time)

Replies

• cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Rice crackers, carrot sticks, celery, cucumber, salsa, soups, fruit, smoothies.
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Protein shakes of different flavours can be good if you're craving something sweet like chocolate. You can also get low sugar hot chocolate powder. Or make sparkling water and add fruit drops to it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited August 2020
    Get the junk out of the house. Or, at least put it out of site and inconvenient to get to. Our food environment plays into what and how much we eat.
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    popcorn
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    I love popcorn. I just haven’t been keeping it in the house for some reason. @quilt938

@psychod787 I'm going to have to because I’m eating things I normally don’t eat (sweets)

@StarbuxDiva Same! I’ll go grab Oreos like it’s nobody’s business smh. I think changing the kids eating habits is what needs to happen at this point.

@cyaneverfat Are there any protein powders that you would recommend (I typically grocery shop at Walmart or Aldi)?
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Stop buying things for your family that are causing you weakness. They need to support you on your journey and if you're the Shopper in the house then I guess they go without.
    banana chips are pretty good and are easy to make (or buy). Fruits. Almonds or peanuts. Celery and carrots with hummus...
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Stop buying things for your family that are causing you weakness. They need to support you on your journey and if you're the Shopper in the house then I guess they go without.
    banana chips are pretty good and are easy to make (or buy). Fruits. Almonds or peanuts. Celery and carrots with hummus...

I'm glad you're not my family. Honestly, if I couldn't have my treats cause you wanted to lose weight? Pffft.

YOU made that choice, the rest of your family didn't, and no they shouldn't have to go without.

If you need everyone else to follow you then maybe you need to put your big girl panties on and learn to control yourself instead of forcing others to go without because of your own self control issues
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,571 Member
    While I'm so on board with not punishing your family because YOU'RE on a diet, does telling yourself others snacks are off limits really work because...it's a good thing I live alone. :)
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    @ALZ14 I 100% agree. Something motivational sounds like a good idea. Thank you for your advice!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    There's nothing wrong with occasional treats for everybody. It's keeping them in the house, all the time, "for the children", that can be downright dangerous. I operated an in-home daycare for 39 years. I lost count of all the times I bought snacks "for the children" and they never got a single one. :neutral: Even things like graham crackers; I'd eat the whole box. :( Best thing to do is keep the healthier snacks in the house for everybody, with an occasional treat for everybody also. Think about the healthier snacks that everybody likes, apples/peanut butter, yogurt, rice cakes, juice pops, cheese/crax, string cheese, oranges, etc., etc. Try creating some healthier versions with your children. Do they like Ranch dressing? My 'kids' used to eat so many more veggies if they could dip them in that stuff. Nothing prettier than a well put-together veggie platter with a semi-healthy dip in the middle. :)

I, personally, have a terribly difficult time resisting stuff that I like, if it's in the house. :( "Depriving" your kids daily, might be a better option for all of you. Treating them to something special occasionally makes it more special, like going out for ice cream 1x a week, or go to a restaurant and order one of those giant desserts with 3 spoons, to share. Yes, junk food like Little Debbies are yummy(I love that kind of stuff :() but I doubt there is 1 thing listed in those that is even remotely related to nutrition. In the long run, your body will thank you, your children will thank you and will learn healthier ways of eating.
    Good luck!!!
  • Pittgirl3
    Pittgirl3 Posts: 69 Member
    I would suggest carrot sticks with onion dip. You get the crunchiness and the onion flavor. It’s like eating sour cream and onion chips.
    You could also try eating a small bowl of oatmeal. Add some cocoa powder and a tbs of peanut butter and you’ve got a Reese’s. It’s more filling than snacking and you still get the sweet component.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Healthy snacking is just as important for kids as it is for you. More so for kids, because their young bodies need the right nutrients to grow. So while you might want to let your young ones snack on junk foods that are your favourites too, make sure you limit it to the bare minimum and include more healthy snacks for kids in their diets. Here's how to go about it.

1. Homemade peanut butter
    2. Chocolate banana bites
    3. Frozen yoghurt
    4. Vegetable and fruit crisps
    5. Dried fruit bites

Note that kids and teenagers need fuel every three to four hours, so plan three meals and two snacks for children through the day. Offer snacks a couple of hours before and after meals.

How to get kids to eat healthily?
    If you have a picky eater or two at home, these tips will come handy to get them to eat healthily.
    • Give your kids the freedom to choose meals and snacks. Offer a couple of different healthy options that they can pick from.
    • When introducing new foods, mix them with tried and tested ones or favourites. Let kids plate on their own to encourage them to eat healthily.
    • Get your kids involved in the entire process right from grocery shopping, picking recipes, and cooking. This will help them understand and appreciate the value of food from a young age.
    • Practise before preaching. If your kids see you eating or snacking on unhealthy foods, they're not going to make healthier choices either.
    • Be patient with picky eaters. Keep trying new recipes and varied combinations to get kids to eat healthier.

The eating every 3-4 hour for kids comes from this:
    https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/dietary-guidelines-and-myplate/when-should-my-kids-snack#:~:text=Most children and teens need,their MyPlate daily food plan.

Here's a bit more from the guidelines. No need to have a bunch of chips, Ding-Dongs, etc around.

Where Should Kids Snack?
    When at home, designate a certain area as the "eating-only zone'' and limit all snacking to that location. The kitchen table or countertop works well. When kids snack all over the house, that makes it hard for you to monitor what and how much they're eating. (Plus, all the crumbs and spills can get messy!) Also, never let kids eat snacks while watching TV. Studies show that this mindless munching leads to overeating.

Be a Smart Snacker
    The following strategies will make you and your family smart snackers:

Expect smaller children to eat smaller portions. Young children may need more frequent snacks than older kids because little ones have smaller stomachs that hold less.
    Offer meals and snacks at predictable times.
    Be prepared for hungry tummies at predictable snack times. This might mean your kids are extra hungry right after school.
    To make sure your kids eat at mealtimes, don't offer snacks too close to a meal.
    Offer nutrient-dense foods that are otherwise lacking in the diet and will improve your child's nutrient intake.
    Place produce in plain sight. Keep a bowl of fresh, just ripe whole fruit in the center of your kitchen or dining table. Keep small containers of fresh veggie snacks (carrots, celery sticks and broccoli florets) at kids-eye level in the fridge.
    Stock your pantry with canned snacks such as fruits canned in juice or natural applesauce made without added sugar. Divide larger cans into smaller portions in reusable containers or buy the convenient single-serve container.
    Cut snacking costs with frozen fruits as they often are less expensive but just as nutritious as the fresh varieties. Purchase frozen strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in large bags; then, use small handfuls for yogurt toppings or as smoothie ingredients.
    Offer your kids a snack containing protein and fiber, so the snacks are filling, sustaining and add to the quality of the diet. Try some of these combinations:
    Trail mix: nuts, dried fruit without added sugars, whole-grain pretzels and low-sugar dry cereal
    Low-fat cheese and pear slices
    Reduced-sodium sliced turkey breast wrapped around apple slices
    Low-fat yogurt, fruit and nuts
    Nuts and raisins
    Celery sticks filled with almond butter and sprinkled with dried cranberries and chopped pistachios
    Baked tortilla chips dipped in salsa
    Roasted chickpeas
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I suffered with binge eating for years. I was finally able to get a handle on it when I started working on my head. I've learned from listening to lots of podcasts that I have to retrain my brain. Our brains like habit and want to continue having the same thoughts we've always had. We have to practice new thoughts and train ourselves to think about food and eating in a new way. Some of my favorite podcasts that have really helped me are:

Losing 100 Pounds With Corinne
    We Only Look Thin
    Weight Loss Made Real
    Food Heals
    Breaking Up With Binge Eating
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Sometimes when I’m craving something sweet I mix some protein/meal replacement powder with a little almond milk to create a cake batter type of snack and I always have chocolate in the freezer if I need to have a piece, but just a piece.

Other things I like are popcorn, hot peppers, pickles, olives, sunflower and pumpkin seeds with the shell on for salty.

I also don’t think it’s punishment to buy healthier snacks for the kids. This is what I do and I have 3 kids. It creates healthy habits and you can all have unhealthy snacks from time to time. There are plenty of yummy snacks, my kids love lots of fruit with cinnamon/PB
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    We can learn to moderate ourselves with food.

The world is full of breakrooms and homes populated with people who don't and won't eat like we eat. You might as well get used to it if you want your long term weight stability to be a priority. When you try to outsmart your body your body will outsmart you back.

Awhile ago, someone was counting the days they'd been able to resist the girl scout cookies at work. How's that workin' for you. Not very good. You can think of every alternative under the sun but the brain wants what it wants. When you're least expecting it, it's going to get what it wants. The All or Nothing Approach to food doesn't work unless you can micromanage the rest of your life and everyone else, too.

When you learn how to moderate yourselves with food then the cravings can pass. Potato chips won't be sweeping you off your feet and it won't matter if it's raining taco chips UP in your house. You'll know when you're in the Moderation Zone because all of these food things won't even be a blip on your radar. You won't remember them from day to day....always lurking somewhere in the background.

Your brain won't be working against you trying to get even for all of the alternatives you keep trying to pacify it with. We have to make peace with our food and brain. It doesn't happen overnight. Tiny steps for tiny feet.
    Give yourself permission to moderate your food and portions, enjoying all of the things you really like.

Your brain is going to take you right back to the foods you like when all of this over. The alternative blowback.
    If it weren't so there would be no such thing as rebound weight gain with friends.

Open. Mind. Insert. Possibilities.

Defy your brain. Give it what it wants in smaller increments and then tell it to just shut the hail UP when it starts fighting against you and demanding more. This battle will go on and on for months, maybe a couple of years or more. One day, you'll have peace with food and true freedom. The battle may be there to some degree but it will weaken on a one day at a time basis.