Trying to get active after surgery

Options
_Figgzie_
_Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
edited August 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys!

My name is Frankie. I've been on MFP for a long time and I have lost about 100 pounds over the course of several years.

I have had both hips replaced and 2 back surgeries following getting hit by a drunk driver and I am struggling to find something low impact to help me get active again. Walking is about al I can do and sitting on an exercise bike too long will hurt my back. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Also, I plan to be back on here quite often so feel free to add me if you feel like I can motivate you! I love to chat about diet and fitness and learn and educate at the same time!

Feel free to private message me, I love to interact!

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Can you arrange to see a strength and conditioning coach at all? My weightlifting coach is one, and he’s rehabbed various injuries for me through careful exercise (much much less serious than yours I hasten to add). When I recovered from major abdominal surgery I went out too hard and hurt myself, it’s key to gently increase and listen to your body. I benefit from a coach who stops me being stupid
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,565 Member
    Options
    Hi @_Figgzie_ if you're interested in YouTube videos I have a bunch of low impact from HIIT to weights, dance, "walking" videos, yoga, etc. I've had back surgeries and currently have nerve damage flared up from the waist down so I'm doing chair videos, strength, and gentle yoga/stretching. Send me a private message of what you're interested in and I'll send you my playlists. I have a huge one from when I first started doing videos after the gym closed then there's only a handful I can currently do doing arms only plus some dance ones I also do arms only as well. I do arm resistance bands that I can do seated and resistance band stretches, booty bands are cool too for abs and obviously legs but arms as well. I'd also suggest walking in water if you have pool access, I first started doing that, then riding my recumbent bike, then alternated with the gym (weights and stair treadmill) until recently.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Have you considered swimming? It’s supposed to be very good for conditions such as arthritis, but I don’t know about post back surgery.

My mother had a double knee replacement and her doctor had her doing some water therapy and swim classes to help her regain strength afterwards.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Oh geez you've had it rough eh.

Have you tried Pilates? It's a great workout and would help your back. When my back was bad my pilates classes were the only time I'd get relief from the pain

Someone mentioned swimming and people always say there's an excellent workout
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Swimming, definitely, or even walking in the water.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Swimming, definitely, or even walking in the water.

Agreed.
    Do you have a PT youve seen that you can get recommendations from? Jw
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Pilates is likely person specific as it aggravated my back for some reason (at least the couple YouTube videos I have tried).

What type of bike were you using? Upright or recumbent?

Swimming is fantastic - a good workout with little interference from gravity! Ahhhh... love the feeling of being weightless, until I have to get out :lol: you can walk in the pool, swim laps, even just tread water. Lots of places offer classes for various levels.