Cant seem to build much chest strength!! Any advice?

Options
Hey everyone hope you all are doing well! Ive been on a weight loss journey and have progressed well so far. The issue is I'm having a very hard time building any strength in my chest. Particularly when it comes to doing pushups. Ive gone from berg able to do none to about 12. I seem to be stuck on that number. Can anyone advise how to build better chest strength and all. I don't have access to a gym or weights or anything so im pretty much reliant on body weight. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Irfan_Ali
    Irfan_Ali Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I started by doing 10 pushups in the morning and then 10 in the evening, everyday without fail

Start with the knee variation if its difficult

As time goes on you'll definitely be able to do more than 10 in any one session and most definitely more than twice day

Currently I'm at 25 push ups, 5 times a day, after 3 months

Keep consistent and your chest strength and size will increase before you know it

Then you can start adding variations to make it more of a complete chest workout

All the best
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The key is volume. You Like Irfan_Ali says, you should break your sets up during the day to give yourself time to recover. It's easy to go to failure on BW exercises and quite difficult to recover quickly. Try to do multiple sets throughout the day. Try to do one more than the day before. You don't need to go to failure on every set.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It takes time .
    Maybe as stated above, you are working to failure . Try them leaning against a wall or furniture , maybe on knees also. This should allow you to do 30, 40+ , keep uping the numbers and then start to scale them up.
    Find ideas off youtube - I like this guys ways -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdT0uAg7wdw
    Carry on.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What kind of push ups? Are you doing different variations of push-ups?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Increase the volume and I would break them up. We want the overload of doing them with a very small rest period.