Hunger Pains

Options
I'm starting on lowering my calorie intake to help compensate for my slowing metabolism (48 years old). One thing I notice is that I feel hungry more often. As a mealtime approaches, I start to become cranky and irritated. My ability to concentrate decreases as my stomach protests.

Any advice? Any suggestions?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you actually eating a day? How tall are you and what is your current weight? You may have decreased your calories too low if you are experiencing hunger pains, irritation and crankiness.

• ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Your calories may be too low and/or you need to eat more filling foods (protein especially).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Much of the calorie needs reduction with age is not uncontrollable metabolism. It's changes in muscle mass and routine daily life activity levels.

Even to the extent that there is some metabolic rate decline, it is going to vary from person to person. How did you decide your metabolism has declined? How did you decide how much less to eat?

I'm 64. You'd have to persuade me that there's major metabolic decline for everyone by age 48.

Like others said: How many calories are you eating? You may be eating too few. What are your food choices? Some foods tend to be more filling than others. How is your nutrition (such as how much protein, fat and carbs are you getting on average daily)? Sub-ideal nutrition can trigger hunger.

Also, how long have you been eating fewer calories? It isn't unusual to have a *short* adaptation period, like maybe 2 weeks-ish.

Since you cut calories, did you increase exercise? Some people find certain types of exercise trigger more hunger. Also, cutting calories and starting exercise at the same time can increase hunger, if the fueling of that exercise isn't factored into calorie intake.

Has you sleep quality or quantity been affected by reducing calories? Some people experience temporary sleep effects, and poor sleep can increase feelings of hunger.

Hang in there - you can figure this out!
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Not enough info; No available diary...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Had you been gaining weight, or was lowering your calories just a preemptive action on your part based on an assumption about your slowing metabolism? You may not be eating enough.