Every Time I start working out I gain weight!

Options
Hi...I am just starting here and leery about the whole thing! I was very impressed when I saw it and it seemed to work, then I started working with a trainer and I have only gained weight. When I was just inputing calories and running/jogging a couple days a week, I had lost a few pounds, but now I have worked out with the trainer 3 days a week for a half hour each session and then kept up with the running and added 2 swim days with my MIL (to get her to start going to the gym), but my weight has increased by six pounds and I haven't changed my eating habits at all.

So I am a little frustrated, but hanging in there to see if it works itself out over the next few weeks. I am also going to be really faithful about inputing the foods I eat so I can see where I need to improve.

Today I burnt over 700 calores at the gym. :) Good start! :)

Have a great day al! :)

Replies

• sarahs440
    Options
    are you taking measurements? You could be losing inches. Are you eating back those calories you are burning?
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    perhaps you are just gaining muscle, without seeing your diary I can't really say more than that
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hi! I plan on gaining weight every time I (re)start a workout program. I add a lot more muscle mass and there's all sorts of water stores associated with the inflammation from sore mussels etc. Plan on going UP before you start to go DOWN but the DOWN will happen!

It's pure math!

I helps me to only "eat back" about half my exercise calories because (frankly) I think we over count them anyway. It also helps me to take measurements because as the weight goes up the measurements generally stay the same or start getting smaller right away.

Good luck and stick to it! If you don't believe me go check out the success stories!:flowerforyou:
  • erszike48
    Options
    You are building muscle, which weighs more than fat, but it burns more calories per pound - 14 calories! Get rid of the scale, you'll be a lot happier! Just pay attention to how your clothes fit, that's a better gauge!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    When your work out your muscles will retain water. Drink lots of water, and give a week or two and you'll see the weight go back down again.

Also, you may need to be eating back some of the exercise calories...worth a try anyways.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    your probly gaining muscle...that happened to me. You want to gain muscle so you don't get flabby. Just keep doing what your doing it will eventually just come off. Pay closer attention to measurements. You will be losing inches. You will be able to tell in the way your clothes fit soon. HANG IN THERE!!!
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The weight gain could be from you increasing your muscle. If you are working out constantly and pushing yourself when you do then that is a definite possibility.

If you want to maintain or lose weight make sure your at a deficit in your calories (example: eat 2000 calories in a day burn 500 would put you at about a 500calorie deficit depending on your BMR)

Muscle weighs more than fat because muscle is more dense than fat. So even if you have gained weight there is a chance you have lost inches on your body.

Good luck :)
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Since your body is burning more as you gain more muscle, make sure your calorie count isn't too low. Your body will fight you if it thinks it is starving. Just keep excercising and take your measurements, I bet you'll like what you see better than what that evil scale is saying right now.

Hang in there, and keep it up! :o)
  • lottywood
    lottywood Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Muscle weighs more than fat so try not to go by what the scales say too much. If your excersising you are probably gaining muscle.

I tend to go more by clothes size :)
  • Armyfam5
    Armyfam5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...I should take measurements...I hadn't done that yet...I will go and do that today! :) Thanks! That is a big help!

I also appreciate all of the support! You all are right...sometimes people do gain weight first because of the muscle gain so that is why I have kept up and decided to give it a few more weeks to see if I am getting any improvement! That and being faithful with my diary starting this morning should help really give me a glimpse of what I am doing right and wrong. :) It is just frustrating to say the least knowing how hard you work and being proud of the calories you burn while seein the scale do the opposite of what you want!

Thanks everyone :)