The sweets are killing me!

Options
I’ve been really good about portions when it comes to sweets but ever since I’ve had to start coming back into the office, I’ve been a vacuum! Even with my prepackaged “sweet treats” I still inhale the other stuff.
Suggestions from you all would be great!

Replies

• sharshe84
    sharshe84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about replacing it with sweet fruits i.e bananas, watermelon, blueberries, etc. And sneak in some less sugar dark chocolate. Got to hang in there for a few days till the craving go away. Make sure to input the calories too so you know what you eat.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I have sweets/treats just about daily (sometimes two but my nutritionist suggests I keep it to one lol).

Ice cream, popsicles, a square of dark chocolate, brownies. But also roasted fruits, regular fruits, cereals, etc. Last night? A bourbon-based cocktail and a popsicle 🤷🏿‍♀️

Basically, they just fit in my daily allowance of calories...or else I leave them alone and make room the next day if sweets are still a craving.

Give yourself grace to go over...on occasion. It just takes practice with logging and self-control while remaining contented @raeofsunshie99
  • raeofsunshie99
    raeofsunshie99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this! I’m trying to do the grace thing @MaltedTea. I have no discipline with them. I can’t just have one lol with me being on the verge of prediabetic, I’m wanting to change my behavior a lot with sweets. So lots of sugar free stuff..thank you again
  • raeofsunshie99
    raeofsunshie99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @shelin84 I wish I liked dark chocolate lol!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    What about a sugar free syrup flavored coffee or tea or latte drink on your desk that you could sip from over long periods?
  • kfarnworth2785
    kfarnworth2785 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider bringing vegetable snacks like baby carrots and sliced celery sticks to snack on when you start craving those sweets at work? I'm struggling right now myself really want to eat that second cookie.... Good advice only helps if you (talking about me) implement it...
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For me I have to replace it with a healthy sugar free option. Like brownies I make a keto one or oat flour brownie that is sugar free. Just remember high fat and high carb is a dangerous combo so chose accordingly.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It takes discipline but I never ever eat food at work that I haven’t brought with me. I’m bombarded with snacks all day in my workplace (a busy hospital) so a few years ago I just decided not to go near the snacks and now my workmates know not to offer them to me. It’s hard but I know at least during my working day my eating is under control. I bring fruit, unsalted nuts and a healthy sandwich for my work day food.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    make room in your calories for that day for the junk. or alternate days when you can eat the junk. that way on the day you cant have the sweets, you know that tomorrow you can.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    I’ve succeeded in weight loss in large part by fighting my sweet tooth to a draw. What do you mean by “other stuff?”

These are things that worked for me-

At the office I became a germaphobe. I cringe when I think of the community candy dishes.

Actually my career as a germaphobe began with the office donuts. One day I watched my coworkers pawing around in the donut box. Not kidding. That was it with me and food that was sitting out at the office.

Chew SF gum. Eat SF candy.

Try to find negative thoughts about food you want to avoid. Just focusing on the calories works for some people. Not for me so much. But my donut mantra is a donut is just a fried wad of goo. Can’t recall my lay donut.

I did a taste test with Halloween candy. It’s lousy. It’s kid candy. If I want candy I go for high quality and buy it a piece at a time.

My most effective strategy- I eat some kind of plan friendly ice cream nearly every day. If it’s some kind of “diet” frozen treat I’ve probably tried it. But this- if I give into some other sweet treat during the day- no ice cream. I budget about 7% of my calories for ice cream. Works for me because I can stop at one serving.

I avoid baked goods. Cookies, cake, pie, etc. I go through cookies like they’re potato chips.

Fruit- 2-3 servings per day. I used to eat about 2 bananas a week. Eating more fruit seems to help.

I don’t think there is a sweet tooth solution for me. It’s just something I live with, sort of like my bad shoulder. I just keep working around it. Hope you find something that works. Keep trying.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I’ve been really good about portions when it comes to sweets but ever since I’ve had to start coming back into the office, I’ve been a vacuum! Even with my prepackaged “sweet treats” I still inhale the other stuff.
    Suggestions from you all would be great!

You have to meal prep and bring your own food. That's the only suggestion I have for you.
    I pre-packaged celery and carrots with a side of hummus. Grapes and apples mixed with a little lemon juice. Sometimes I'll add almonds to that. I also like to do mixed berries. I would also suggest buying protein powder and making up a shake or two to bring with you as well. I also make a chicken salad or chicken rice and vegetable dish for my lunch. Working in an office it's so much easier to do these things since you should have a fridge available and a microwave to heat everything up if necessary
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I second the ones recommending to not eat sweets at work. Many years ago, when I was in my 20’s and worked in a very large/open office (200 people?), I noticed that the designers (all men, back in the day) were frequently at the candy machines. I also noticed that many of them were significantly overweight. I thought that they may have done this out of desire to break up their day—they were ‘tied’ to computers, as they rarely went to meetings or to the lab. I could appreciate the desire to do this. I realized then that it was a slippery slope and decided to not to partake in this activity. I think it helped, even though my job was mostly a desk job, as well. Don’t misunderstand, I am all for sweets at other times!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i love double chocolate chunk quest bars, and they make a yummy lunch.
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I find sugar triggering: once I have some I want more more more. So I save my sweets for after dinner, in summer usually a little ice cream bar or mochi (lots of different ones at Trader Joe's). Knowing it is there waiting for me at the end of the day helps me to gently avoid temptation, I can tell myself oh I'm gonna have some ice cream later so I don't need this [cookie, chocolate, whatever] right now.

I love @88olds' advice about becoming a germaphobe! I definitely think covid has helped me lose weight because when I go out to do errands I never consider just grabbing a donut or muffin something while on the move. I used to do this more often than I'd like to admit. Ew! I have been totally reprogrammed by germs!