gastri bypass

Options
hello, i had gastric bypass five years ago and lost 100 pounds, since then i had a hysterectomy and gained 30 pounds back. I just found out about this program and plugged my information in and it said i am not eating enough and my body is in starvation mode and I need to eat about 1000 more calories a day. I don't think I can. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Replies

• Kristin9902
    Kristin9902 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Start small. Try to eat a lil bit more (healthy) each day until you are at your calorie goal.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating a day currently?
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    add healthy fats to your diet. Nuts, avocados, seeds, olive oil... all are high calorie and a little goes a long way. They also have really good health benefits.

Good luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    add healthy fats to your diet. Nuts, avocados, seeds, olive oil... all are high calorie and a little goes a long way. They also have really good health benefits.

Good luck.

These are great suggestions, also stuff likes eggs (i generally do 3 egg whites and 2 eggs to keep cholesterol down), protein shakes and protein bars are also good sources of calories and protein!
  • h0kieerin
    h0kieerin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass about a year ago. I'd be happy to share the insights my surgeon and dietician shared with me. I was trying to eat 1500 calories at 2 months post-op. How many calories are you eating? How many are you supposed to be eating? How many times a day are you eating? Are you drinking your protein shakes? Are you hitting your protein goal every day?

Finding high calorie, high protein foods is tough. I'm here to help!
  • Mshughes2003
    Mshughes2003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve gastrectomy, which is like the bypass, and I was so worried about my stomach growing that I actually shrunk it to about 2 1/2 oz of food. I was stuffing myself to try to make it bigger, but that just hurts. Am I still supposed to eat 1200 calories a day? I eat nuts all of the time, but eggs cause dumping syndrome, and how do you regulate eating and drinking since we can't do that at the same time? I am lactose intolerant, so milk calories are out of the question. because I eat so small, I actually only eat things that have protein in them, and stay away from EVERYTHING that does not have protein except coffee and water. Does anyone have any helpful recommendations for me? I have hit a plateau for 4 months now, and I want to be healthy, considering I did this whole thing so I could be able to do things with my kids.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi. I found this old thread and I'm hoping you can share what your current success is. I've been considering this, but only know 2 people personally who've had the surgery. My step-daughter had gbs 5 years ago and lost a lot immediately, but throughout the years has put on about half of the weight loss (I think) and is now in WW and trying to lose weight. My neighbor had a band put on and she also lost a lot of weight but had o many issues that she had to have it removed. So, I'm on the fence about having this done.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @ChrissyChickie

If you keep digging through the forums and search using terms like Weight Loss Surgery or WLS, I think you'll find what you are looking for as there are many folks here who have had it done, who have the long term experience with it, or have watched family members live with it. With the age of this thread, I sincerely doubt you'll get an answer from the OP.....

I personally am working on losing the weight without surgery; in fact, I've now lost enough weight that I am no longer a candidate from the guidelines I've seen. I've watched 3 close family members deal with the surgery, and they are all about 3 years out now. All three lost a lot of weight in the beginning as their stomachs healed, but all three have gained back a portion of the weight since then. WLS is a tool, not a miracle; you still have to learn how to eat sensibly and within the calorie needs for your body to lose weight and keep it off. I don't think any of the 3 will gain back all of the weight they lost, but all three are now struggling and having to diet to try to get back to where they were post surgery. IMHO, the biggest downside to WLS is that most patients don't learn to eat in a deficit; they eat less in the beginning because their body is healing from the major trauma of the surgery, but as their body heals and they can eat more, they gradually begin eating more and more and end up over time returning to old eating habits. If a person doesn't use that time to learn new eating habits, WLS will not keep the weight off long term.

Its a very personal decision. There are long term, life long consequences of the diet. You and you doctor need to honestly evaluate whatever kind of surgery you might be considering, especially the long term affects, and you alone need to decide whether the procedure is right for you personally. Please don't let anyone talk you into it, especially your doctor, if you have any reservations or hesitation; remember that you are the one who has to live with the results, both good and bad! Some people have considered WLS to be the best thing they ever did; the gains in health they achieved using the surgery was well worth the downside they live with for them. Other people, however, regret having the surgery and wish they had not done it. I suggest reading as many stories from both sides as you can to evaluate whether its the right move for you.