HyVee menu

Options
My husband wanted to go to our local HyVee store and get an everything omelette. We even figured that if we got only the veggie one tha it would be healthier. I looked on the pdf of their menus. Oh my goodness!! Even the veggie omelette was fattening. I mean 22 grams of saturated fat!!!! I told my husband I did not want one. Why so much fat?! It a veggie omelette?! We decided against it. Wow!!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Butter and oil mostly contributed to the fat total.
    If there was cheese, that could add to the saturated fat. The eggs have some as well.

While saturated fat is indeed something to limit for health reasons, calories are what you should pay attention to for weight management. High fat content does not make a food "fattening". And vegetarian does not automatically make a dish "healthy" or low calorie.
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Its a common misconception that healthy foods are naturally going to be low calorie, which often times is not true, preparation and the type of dish can definitely make even a salad as high in calories as a burger
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Omelettes are usually cooked with butter and most people have grated cheese in them. You could lower the fat( and the calories) by omitting the cheese.

I have an omelette in my recipe builder - 520 calories for a 3 egg omelette with ham, mushroom, capsicum ( bell peppers?) tomato, grated cheese.
  • mkeatonmom8043
    mkeatonmom8043 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    See my registered dietician who was assigned to me after being diagnosed as pre diabetic told me if I stick to a plant based diet it would already be low calorie. I would not have to track calories.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    See my registered dietician who was assigned to me after being diagnosed as pre diabetic told me if I stick to a plant based diet it would already be low calorie. I would not have to track calories.

That would be incorrect. I can think of a LOT of vegetarian foods that are high in calories, such as breads, nuts, nut butters, oils, avocados, dairy...just to name a few. No matter what "diet" you follow, calories are still all that matter for weight loss.

You should clarify what your dietician means by plant-based, by the way. Because, in the sense that most people use the term, eggs would not be considered plant-based. It seems like you are thinking more along the vegetarian line. That's fine, if it's sustainable for you and you like eating that way, but it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • mkeatonmom8043
    Options
    She said saturated fat was the problem. It clogs the cells and doesn’t allow the insulin to get to the body to be used. She called it insulin resistance. I should eat very little animal food if any. Make 80% of my diet plant based. Whole grain, fruits and fruits and nuts. Healthy fats are good in moderation. She talked about the blue zone diet.
  • mkeatonmom8043
    Options
    She said if I did this the calories would automatically be lowered without tracking them because the plant based food already are lower in calories.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    She said if I did this the calories would automatically be lowered without tracking them because the plant based food already are lower in calories.

I wouldn’t consider an omelette to be plant-based. Too much egg and butter/oil. Just removing the meat does not make it plant-based.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of the Blue Zone so I googled it - and Although food choices vary from region to region, Blue Zone diets are primarily plant-based, with as much as 95% of daily food intake coming from vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. People in Blue Zones typically avoid meat and dairy, as well as sugary foods and beverages. They also steer clear of processed foods.

95% of an omelette, even a vegetarian one, does not come from vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains

Most of it comes from - eggs.

Fair bit of dairy too, unless you omit the cheese.

As an aside, I would not consider it neccesary to eat a vegetarian or 95% plant based diet, in order to tackle insulin resistance.

The biggest piece of advice is usually lose weight and limit sugary foods.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Your dietitian is mixing together a bunch of information, some science, some woo, and coming up with recommendations that don't necessarily make sense. First, a vegetarian diet is not necessarily lower calorie. Any diet can be lower or higher calorie depending on what and how much you eat.

Although there is some scientific evidence linking increased saturated fat consumption to increased risk of heart disease, saturated fats do not "clog the cells" (whatever that means) but some epidemiological evidence indicates that too much saturated fat can worsen insulin-resistance while increased mono- and poly-unsaturated fat can reduce it. Composition of fats consumed can affect the composition of cell membranes.

Right now, the information about the relationship between types of fat eaten and nutrition is in a developing stage. What is known is that there is no need to maintain a low-fat diet to lose weight of be healthy. It is known that you need to consume dietary fats to maintain cell health. There is some indication that keeping consumption of saturated fat to about 10% of daily calories is beneficial.

My favorite source of information about nutrition is https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A pre-prepared vegetable omelette is typically just a regular omelette with vegetables added. The dietary concerns that many people have with omelettes (high fat content and calorie density) aren't going to be eliminated just by adding some vegetables, unfortunately.