a skeptic newbie here...

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off WW since 2001, so yes, I'm sure. Thing is, my points totals today probably would have been high, and I eat extremely healthily. Since they changed to PP, it's stopped working for me. I lost 6lbs when PP started, and that's all I've managed to lose, even with exercise and eating very little.

So, this might be pretty much the same thing, but my menu for today would have taken me over my 29 points for sure, and so far, I'm pretty well under my calorie limit for today. I don't know why it worked out that way, but it did!

I get you on the PP thing. It was a bad change. However, if you were losing on the old system, you could have just eaten the same as you were before, right?

It sounds like it's a mental thing for you.

What I found when I stopped WW (Momentum) for a while and tried just counting calories was that I couldn't eat what this site assigned me and still lose. I went back to points (Momentum is what I still follow) and it worked fine. I get too many calories on here, especially if I try to eat back most of my exercise calories.

Just like with WW, you're going to have to tweak your numbers to figure out what works.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello and Welcome to MFP!!!
  • Kambriasgranny
    Options
    I am also a former WW girl.......After 6 months in WW I had lost 12 pounds and gained 2 back when I wasn't carefully counting my points. I decided to try this and in the past 4 weeks have lost 4 pounds. MFP is such an immediate snapshot of my calories and exercise that I feel much more connected with what my body is actually doing. I also like the way I can track the nutrients that are important to me by customizing my report. I understand that WW is highly successful for many people, but for me, this is really a much more effective way to track everything your body is taking in. Good Luck!
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have learned so much about the food i've been eating and how bad i've been doing on my food selections. i really like this and really use it a lot! Welcome! :happy:
  • kcmg0730
    Options
    All of your responses here are so appreciated, and I am impressed with your weight losses to date!

I think part of what bothered me about WW is that though I did lose weight on the program, I was never really 'taught' to deal with WHY my portions were so big, or why I'd go off the rails and eat everything in sight the day of my weigh ins. I actually quit all dieting and spent a year getting to grips with a lot of my food issues, and now that I feel really good about my food choices, ww just seemed to be too much of a diet, and I'm trying to get away from that, since statistically, real 'diets' just don't work.

So, even though there is an element of counting here, my diet is really healthy now, and I rarely binge eat. This just seems like a way to monitor my intake, and just cut down a bit on my calories (in that year that I was working through my binge eating habits, I stayed pretty much the same weight, but it's about 20 lbs heavier than I'd like to be), plus get my behind in gear to do some exercise; I am not routine about exercise at all, and I am hoping this might give me a shove in the right direction.

My main weakness at the moment is wine...I love red wine! I am not working at the moment (I'm going back to university in October), so my red wine consumption is higher than when I am working, and that's going to be the biggest struggle in this next month, I think.

The other great thing I've already noticed about MFP is the support...I felt ignored on the WW message boards, but everyone here is so welcoming and chatty!! Thanks again for all your responses, and I look forward to getting to know you better!
  • wtbf
    wtbf Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP. I too did weight watchers both the meetings and online and I was successful on it as long as I tracked my food! So, I figured I could just as easily track my food here and it's free!! So, i've been here since June and those weeks that I am honest with myself and track my food, I do very well, so for me the key is tracking and like a lot of other people have said you get out of MFP what you put in so it's all up to you! Good luck and you will find great support here and a lot of great ideas and motivations for exercising.