Menopause

Options
Hi Gals I feel like I have done every diet and supplements. I work out hard. Boxing and hit training. Can not lose a pound. Biggest I’ve ever been. Don’t say muscle! I have fat in places I’ve never had before ! Help!

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Read the stickies at the top, very helpful! I have learned calories are the ticket (after scoffing for years). Get a digital scale and be honest about your logging. You can enter in your stats and goals and MFP will give you a daily allowance. So much information on these boards! I am one year in (2 years post hysterectomy, but I still have one small ovary that is holding me decently steady so steering clear of full on menopause so far), 30 lbs down! You can do it!!
  • DeliciousAmbiguity1
    DeliciousAmbiguity1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    jbpoorman wrote: »
    Hi Gals I feel like I have done every diet and supplements. I work out hard. Boxing and hit training. Can not lose a pound. Biggest I’ve ever been. Don’t say muscle! I have fat in places I’ve never had before ! Help!

I feel your pain menapause is no fun. I am 3 years post hysterectomy this month. I put on weight after and its harder to lose now.. I really wish I had done this earlier. It's hard but doable, I have lost 2 stone so far. Keep at it, your body is different now and it takes a while to learn what works for it.
  • KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I went into ovarian failure at 37 just after the birth of my third child..I'm 40 now.
    I have a rare chronic illness which is related to this and complications from all that hormone reduction going unnoticed for so many years. I'm on hrt and the endocrinologist is trying to induce a period but I think that ship has sailed 😂. So she has me on some seriously high hrt meds and few other meds for my illness. Even though I'm sick, it is not something I'm held back in life on.. nearly ran a marathon recently before a running injury happened and now getting my groove on for down hill mountain biking. Once my leg heals I'm back to running again.

You will put on weight in the mid section of your body, and due to the high cortisol. weight loss is slower for us but not impossible. Even though I've lost a lot of weight, I still find it really hard. It's frustrating to put so much effort in and see such little change. Especially for me when people my age are killing it.

I've had huge success with a whole foods high protein diet, oily fish, vit D and cutting out stress.. menopause and stress don't mix. I make sure that sleep is sacred, it's really important in menopause due to cortisol..it's one of the things you can control. getting a tracking app for it helps. i focus on exercise because of the reduction of oestradiol places you at risk for developing osteoporosis.. you don't need to go crazy with exercise, but ensuring you include a couple of strength sessions every week and some high impact cardio really helped me avoid medication for that issue. If you can't do the high impact, try walking. You will get there. It just takes a bit longer so we need to change our expectations 😉.