16/8 question-just starting out

Options
Hi all. I’m back on MFP and trying 16/8 intermittent fasting after doing some research. Skipping breakfast isn’t a big deal for me so I’m just extending the time a bit longer after waking.

My question is does a small amount of milk or cream in my morning coffee (2-3 cups) affect the process and stop the fasting? I’ve not been able to get a clear answer from blogs or dieting/health sites.

Thanks much!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    It is all about the calories you take in. Whether you eat all of them in one fell swoop or spread the calories out all day long it will not matter. Calories are king.

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That’s because there’s no clear answer. You’ll need to decide for yourself what your goal is and what you believe.

It will definitely stop you from fasting. The question is why are you doing 16/8? If it’s just because you believe in CICO and find it easier to stick to a calorie goal when you spend less hours eating then log the milk, no big deal, all good.

Lots of people on this site will push that CICO is the only thing that matters. If you subscribe to that then that’s one thing. If however you are experimenting with fasting in the hope of additional health benefits (on which the science is not settled but it doesn’t mean they don’t exist) then it gets murkier. Some people will claim the smallest hint of any calorie intake ruins the fast (there are people that worry about toothpaste!). Others will claim you can get away with a small intake for something like milk/cream/fat (fat usually comes from the idea of bulletproof coffee an idea I’ve never tried but which turns my stomach just thinking about it!)

The best advice I’ve seen is to conduct an “experiment of one”. Do the 16/8 with the milk in your coffee for 3 or 4 weeks. If you’re happy with how you feel/ your results: fantastic! That works for you. If not (or you just feel like experimenting) next do 3/4 weeks without and compare.

• cdflood2153
    cdflood2153 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You cannot have creamer of any kind. Black Coffee only or you break the fast.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What the folks above said about lack of evidence and that it works how it works for you are right on target. Do what works for you. For many, IF helps them stay on track so it works for them. Going to bed and reading rather than staying up and snacking works for me. I need to remember that tonight at 10ish. "Turn off the boob tube and go read, Heidi. Are you listening to me, me?"