Tired of getting started and then losing motivation

Options
Hi! I am new here and hoping by being able to commiserate with others, will help me to stick with something for more than a month or two. I feel like I have been on a hop on/hop off health kick for the past 10 years of my life.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to finding inspiration and motivation here.:smile:

Replies

• springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It isn't motivation that keeps you going. It's what gets you started. Consistency and changing your crappy habits is how it happens.
  • zanielleleigh
    zanielleleigh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel..... I think the point is to loose the weight and then maintain it by being healthy....
    I also try to be healthy thinking ill loose the weight... but i need to feel pain and exersise my butt off to loose weight and eat strictly... NO PAIN NO GAIN!!!!!!
    im here if you need a chat or swop stories x x

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • erszike48
    Options
    You need a clear picture of WHY you want to lose weight and get into shape. List your top 5 reasons that really mean something to you, then post these reasons EVERYWHERE around your house!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    It isn't motivation that keeps you going. It's what gets you started. Consistency and changing your crappy habits is how it happens.

I've never looked at it this way until you mentioned it. It's true. I would be on a health kick for maybe a week, and then I would give up. You have to do it even when you don't want to, because that's when the real change happens.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Well said. And may I add that once you decide you want to be fit and healthy MORE than you want to do nothing about it there's no stopping you. Pure will!
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new here and hoping my being able to commiserate with others, I will stick with someone for more than a month or two. I feel like I have been on a hop on/hop off health kick for the past 10 years of my life.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to finding inspiration and motivation here.:smile:

:D Hi, person who sounds like me, nice to meet you.

My best friend got me into this site for similar reasons. Having great reasons to get started rocks, it's ignoring those "great" reasons to stop that we can help each other to do.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    We do what we do until we're done doing it. So, when you're ready you'll make change! Best of luck on your journey, and glad to have met you!
  • ArranClarke18
    Options
    i do the same, i will loose like half a stone on here then i will stop and put on another stone, such a pain in my *** :smile:
    but just slowly start adding healthy things into your diet, dont rush it, look for recipies and things, you could make what you like and some of them seem like treats but there healthy :) good luck
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Motivation is the initial push to get you started. Drive pushes you to keep going. Sounds like you have the motivation but your drive is a little lacking. One way I've found to keep my drive is to notice the small little changes in my body and lifestyle that are so good for me.

For instance, I notice how when I stand up from sitting on the couch, I don't push as hard and I really don't even think about it. I also notice that our dog cannot keep up with me on my workouts anymore so when I take her for a walk, I consider that my warmup. We have a narrow shower and a semi-voluminous shower curtain and I notice how little I accidentally touch the curtain while taking a shower. I realize that I am able to fit through smaller and smaller spaces without having to worry about knocking stuff over and making a fool of myself. Every day is filled with little Non-Scale Victories that I can't help but be excited.

Seeing those little verifications for the work you put in can keep you going...even if it is feeling how it is easier to tie your workout shoes before going for a walk/run.
  • ande2994
    Options
    I've been there, too. I think that shifting my mindset to one of moderation and long-term success has helped. This isn't something I can accomplish in a month or two, and I'll experience setbacks now and then, and it's okay to "be bad" once in a while.... it helps me pick up and keep going after I lose motivation.

Also, some people need more variety than others. My mom has been eating the exact same Smart Ones meal at work for like two years now -- I could never do that! If I find something that works for a while, great. Then I find something ELSE that works. I've been doing pretty well with my toast for breakfast habit, but have switched toppings -- peanut butter, various flavors of jam, etc. Before that was cinnamon english muffins. Keep things fresh to help trick yourself into thinking it hasn't been months.

If all else fails, pay for a workout class. I just signed up for one through my community ed -- I start next Wednesday. The guilt of wasting money and feeling that everyone knows you skipped because you were feeling lazy might help get over lapses in motivation.
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. At 25 I have only dieted 3 times (including this one) but I have been heavy since my teens. I have always started with a short term mindset and have always failed because of that. The main reason I haven't dieted much is because I have seen what the jump on jump off approach can do in my mom. Losing the weight only to gain it all back plus some. She has often said that had she never started to diet in the first place she would probably be 50 pounds lighter today. I didn't want that to happen to me so I just didn't tried. Problem is, doing that for long enough has had very similar results. Now I have more then 100 pounds to lose and I am taking a different approach to things. I don't eat perfect. Definitely not as healthy as I should, heck I had a candy bar for dessert last night, but I do my best to stay within my calories and I can say without a doubt I am eating less junk less often then I have in the past. I have a mindset now that even if I eat like crap for a week, that doesn't mean I have jumped off. This is for keeps, forever, and a week isn't that long when compared to forever. I do allow treats here and there because I know if I didn't I would lose it and end up binging on things like I have in the past, leaving me feeling like I have failed and giving up. But, whether they are healthy or not, I work my treats into my daily limit and don't have the desire (well, sometimes I do but not as strong) to eat three candy bars when I know that I can have one once and a while. Its really just about not allowing yourself to jump off, and not beating yourself up for a bad meal, bad day, or even bad week on rare occasion. I am a week away from 2 months and have lost almost 15 pounds. Not tons but not bad and I don't have a doubt that more is to come. Good luck and enjoy this site, I credit it with my changed mindset and more then that keeping me busy when I might have otherwise been looking for something in the kitchen to keep me busy.
  • jvest
    jvest Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    me too:(
    I start stop and do it all again
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. It seems like all is going well, then something happens and I lose focus.
    I am really hoping to make this the time I get into my healthier lifestyle and stay there.

Feel free to add me
  • moreaudrey
    moreaudrey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I find it really easy to lose about 7 lbs. without hardly trying and then gain it right back as a "reward". This time I am serious and this is the first time I've ever communicated with other people about weight loss so I am hoping that will give me the push I need. I feel like if I'm held accountable for my choices, there is a lot greater chance of success.