Walk of shame not in exercise database

I'm sure the bitter taste of defeat burns extra calories. Not to mention cursing the god of inner tubes.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Having to push a bike? Which sucks. Yep
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Well I just hope the scenery was good on the way back!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Bummer!! How much of a hike did you have??

One day while walking with friends we passed a guy messing with a flat tire. An hour and a half later we came back to him finally admitting defeat (patched one hole, still leaking, never could find it). Offered him a ride, he was quick to accept. He had another 8.5 miles back to his car. (Local path that has small parking lots every couple miles, he was just coming up on where we parked).

I went from “hey, I need to put together a small repair kit” to now hauling a pretty thorough supply bag with TWO extra tubes, just in case :lol:

About six miles, in carbon fiber shoes and cleats that need to be replaced after so much abuse. Mostly on the side of a rural highway. I was riding a gravel trail, got a pinch flat, and it looks like a blackberry thorn found its way into the tire while I was changing tubes, so the replacement popped right away too. If I had had a third tube, I would have learned from the second one, used extra care, and been ok.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    ugh. Well. Next time.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Sorry!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Well the key word you used was “learned”. This is what being experienced is all about - making numerous mistakes, wrong judgements, taking wrong gear or not enough and then remembering not to do THAT again!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member

One day while walking with friends we passed a guy messing with a flat tire. An hour and a half later we came back to him finally admitting defeat (patched one hole, still leaking, never could find it). Offered him a ride, he was quick to accept. He had another 8.5 miles back to his car. (Local path that has small parking lots every couple miles, he was just coming up on where we parked).

I went from “hey, I need to put together a small repair kit” to now hauling a pretty thorough supply bag with TWO extra tubes, just in case :lol:

About six miles, in carbon fiber shoes and cleats that need to be replaced after so much abuse. Mostly on the side of a rural highway. I was riding a gravel trail, got a pinch flat, and it looks like a blackberry thorn found its way into the tire while I was changing tubes, so the replacement popped right away too. If I had had a third tube, I would have learned from the second one, used extra care, and been ok.

Ouch. I can’t imagine walking that far in bike shoes (the guy I gave a ride was clicking along the paved path as he walked and I wondered how uncomfortable that would be).

We went biking with my parents back in ID last summer, they bought a bunch of used bikes for us to try, one of which was a BMX bike. The kids used it to do laps around this little pump track down the road, little did we know there were these massive thorn ball things lurking in the dry grass. Started on a path 30 minutes from the house a couple days later and my dad pulled on it thinking it was a clump of mud or something, nearly instant flat. Thankfully only a mile from the parking lot...
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    That sucks. One of the reasons I never ride alone especially MTB.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Womona wrote: »
    I read “walk of shame” and thought of someone hooking up with some random guy at a frat party!!!!!

I was totally prepared to offer some words of affirmation and then was like "OH, this is something else . . ."
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited August 2020

being a big guy, i got a bunch of pinch flats back in the day on my road touring bike. i learned to carry both spare tube and patch kits. flash forward to today (riding a hardtail both onroad and offroad): since i'm riding 29x2.35 tires, my tubes are pretty big. i therefore follow the same carry protocol as years ago - spare tube plus patches, except now i carry adhesive patches, not a tube of glue (yes, i know the latter is better than the former, but i'm mainly interested in "get me home" repairs). being redundant minded, i also carry a small frame pump and co2.

@moonangel12 pic below is my saddle bag repair items contents. blue case is from eddie bauer and is a hardshell sunglasses case useful to stuff all the small bits to keep them from rattling around. not shown: my spare tube (lives in a small handlebar bag because of it's size), a length of duct tape wrapped around an old hotel card key, and small leatherman "squirt" (lives in my handlebar bag), which has a pair of needlenosed pliers to pull things out of the tire rubber if needed. Main bike multitool is a Blackburn Wayside. The odd black thing at right is a checkout-line-impulse-buy item from Canadian Tire - tire patch kit with tire levers (redundancy again). Why 2 different sized co2? well, one doesn't suffice to inflate my tires, and two of the large is too much. plus, when my wife rides with me, i've got a canister for her tire size if needed. Also not shown are vinyl gloves (which I carried even before COVID), in my first aid kit, which are useful for keeping your hands clean from grease when doing trailside chain repairs.

Another reason I carry patches is to give them to someone in need - while I ride generally solo, I also don't expect to find many people with my tire size in roadside/trailside need - but a patch can be useful.

gyimf18ei5la.jpg
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I read “walk of shame” and thought of someone hooking up with some random guy at a frat party!!!!!

I was totally prepared to offer some words of affirmation and then was like "OH, this is something else . . ."

My (cyclist) brain immediately went to failed hill climb (rather than flat).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »

My (cyclist) brain immediately went to failed hill climb (rather than flat).

I'm clearly not a cyclist! :p
  • NorthCascades

Well, that's not in the exercise database either. 😡
  • moonangel12
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

being a big guy, i got a bunch of pinch flats back in the day on my road touring bike. i learned to carry both spare tube and patch kits. flash forward to today (riding a hardtail both onroad and offroad): since i'm riding 29x2.35 tires, my tubes are pretty big. i therefore follow the same carry protocol as years ago - spare tube plus patches, except now i carry adhesive patches, not a tube of glue (yes, i know the latter is better than the former, but i'm mainly interested in "get me home" repairs). being redundant minded, i also carry a small frame pump and co2.

@moonangel12 pic below is my saddle bag repair items contents. blue case is from eddie bauer and is a hardshell sunglasses case useful to stuff all the small bits to keep them from rattling around. not shown: my spare tube (lives in a small handlebar bag because of it's size), a length of duct tape wrapped around an old hotel card key, and small leatherman "squirt" (lives in my handlebar bag), which has a pair of needlenosed pliers to pull things out of the tire rubber if needed. Main bike multitool is a Blackburn Wayside. The odd black thing at right is a checkout-line-impulse-buy item from Canadian Tire - tire patch kit with tire levers (redundancy again). Why 2 different sized co2? well, one doesn't suffice to inflate my tires, and two of the large is too much. plus, when my wife rides with me, i've got a canister for her tire size if needed. Also not shown are vinyl gloves (which I carried even before COVID), in my first aid kit, which are useful for keeping your hands clean from grease when doing trailside chain repairs.

Another reason I carry patches is to give them to someone in need - while I ride generally solo, I also don't expect to find many people with my tire size in roadside/trailside need - but a patch can be useful.

gyimf18ei5la.jpg
    Thanks so much for the detailed rundown! I bought a bag that goes under the top bar of my frame. It has a patch kit and tire levers, compact bike multi tool, pocket knife (although I am thinking leather man is a much better plan thanks to your post!), two tubes, I have a two way hand bump mounted on the frame (not co2, but I downsized tires so it would be effort, but not a huge endeavor like yours!). Trying to think what else. Bandaids, mini Clif bar. Maybe mace?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited August 2020

gyimf18ei5la.jpg

This is a great set-up and pretty much mirrors what I carry - the only thing that I have that you don't is a 3" piece of a metal clothes hanger that I have bent on the ends for hooks. It makes a great holder to keep the chain in 1 place when you have to remove/replace a link (you hook each end on either side of the break and then you can work on the chain without either pulling it off the gears or trying to hold the chain with 1 hand. Basically it's this thing - https://www.amazon.com/Wakauto-Chain-Stainless-Repair-Bicycle/dp/B07YHCCLMM/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=bike+chain+hook&qid=1597784899&sr=8-5 - for the price of a wire hanger.

Doesn't happen too often, but I have popped a chain on a ride and I was glad I had this.
  • moonangel12
    ccrdragon wrote: »

gyimf18ei5la.jpg

This is a great set-up and pretty much mirrors what I carry - the only thing that I have that you don't is a 3" piece of a metal clothes hanger that I have bent on the ends for hooks. It makes a great holder to keep the chain in 1 place when you have to remove/replace a link (you hook each end on either side of the break and then you can work on the chain without either pulling it off the gears or trying to hold the chain with 1 hand. Basically it's this thing - https://www.amazon.com/Wakauto-Chain-Stainless-Repair-Bicycle/dp/B07YHCCLMM/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=bike+chain+hook&qid=1597784899&sr=8-5 - for the price of a wire hanger.

Doesn't happen too often, but I have popped a chain on a ride and I was glad I had this.
    My bike is older, and I have often wondered about carrying something for potential chain issues (especially since I lived on my bike as a teen - who knows how many miles over the years).
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member

Same here. I guess we need to get our minds out of the gutter. :D
  • NorthCascades

gyimf18ei5la.jpg
    Thanks so much for the detailed rundown! I bought a bag that goes under the top bar of my frame. It has a patch kit and tire levers, compact bike multi tool, pocket knife (although I am thinking leather man is a much better plan thanks to your post!), two tubes, I have a two way hand bump mounted on the frame (not co2, but I downsized tires so it would be effort, but not a huge endeavor like yours!). Trying to think what else. Bandaids, mini Clif bar. Maybe mace?

A pair of nitrile gloves.