Can you eat meat on a calorie deficit?

Options
Can you eat meat on a calorie deficit?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    NOOOO!! No meat for you for 3 months! Yes..... you can have meat.....
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

I eat the same things as I did before, just smaller portions / different percentages of things - ie I put a smaller portion of rice or potatoes or pasta on my plate and fill up with veg and meat or fish.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Meat is quite easy to fit in and filling, so I ate more meat on a calorie deficit than I normally do.

Why wouldn't you be able to? A calorie deficit just means fewer cals than your maintenance. It doesn't require particular foods.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Of course. I have lost weight several times eating mostly meat and cheese. It wasn't sustainable for me long term, but it helped me eliminate temporarily some of the sugary foods that made me eat too much while I figured out how I wanted to eat over the long run. Meat fills me up better than carbs, though I find it gets boring after a while to eat mostly meat.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Losing weight requires a calorie deficit, always. That’s the way weight is lost. Proper nutrition is important, in the long term, but you can eat what you like. As long as you’re in a calorie deficit, and with no medical issues, you’ll lose weight. Meat is an excellent source of protein, which is important.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much eat anything you want - in theory one could eat nothing but, say, candy (tho that would be very unhealthy) and still lose weight. I still eat pizza, lasagna, etc - I just monitor my portion sizes

I like to keep those little trays out of a lean cuisine to monitor portions so I can have what I want just less,it does help me
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    High fat meats may be hard to fit into a deficit unless you eat small portions, but there’s no reason not to eat anything you want to. Lean meats such as sirloin, pork tenderloin, turkey and chicken are good sources of protein and not high in calories when prepared simply.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The best thing to do is to eat a well-balanced diet following nutritional guidelines. Whether you choose meat or vegetable protein sources is up to you. To learn more about what to eat, go to https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

To lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than you use. You do not need to change what you eat to lose weight only how much you eat.

Many of us do change what we eat so we don't consume too many calories with low-nutrition foods or foods we find too hard to limit. I keep crackers out of the house when I am paying attention to how many calories I eat because they have little nutrition for the amount of calories and because I can't eat just a couple; I'll eat a whole sleeve or a whole box. That isn't to say I couldn't eat crackers, I just choose not to because a single serving of them doesn't satisfy me.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't eat nearly enough probably and meat is one of my favorite things to eat 😊 I even eat hamburger gasp 😹
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's one of the main components of my diet, along with dairy, because they satiate me a lot.