Help logging marinated foods

Hi guys!
I’ve had a really hard time understanding how to go about correctly longing some food. For instance, I make a Boston butt roast yesterday for pulled pork sandwiches. It was cooked in a can of beer and 1/2 cp orange juice. Now when I enter in the recipe to my recipes bank. I don’t want to NOT include the beer and OJ, but also because of those 2 ingredients, my caloric count is very large. So how do you guys log the liquids that you meats are marinated in and/or cooked in that aren’t being consumed?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    I would just add a tiny amount for the ingredients.
    For example today I have a ham in the slowcooker with loadsa brown sugar on top which will then slowly melt onto it, but I've only logged 5 grammes of sugar or something like that as most of the sugar won't be eaten.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Pulled pork not only does not absorb the beer or the OJ, but the braising renders out pork fat at 9 calories per gram. You should weigh the pulled pork as cooked, finished product and find a retail calorie quote that is similar to your homemade. Having said that, you will be within range if you use 2-2.5 calories per gram of what you eat.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited August 2020
    For this, I wing it.

I made jerk chicken which marinades overnight in a batch of: pineapple juice, white onion, soy sauce, habanero peppers, allspice, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, coarse ground pepper. The chicken is rubbed in salt, pepper, lemon or lime juice and then tossed in the marinade. Then chopped green onions are added to the mix. When you add all the marinade items together, there is a notable # of calories. But only a small amount remains on the chicken when later transferred to a pan. (Most goes in the garbage.) And some of that remains in the pan when the chicken is taken out. I found a 'jerk marinade' entry and logged it, adding 25 cals to my meal. Total made was 3 pounds of chicken breast, and 190 grams (about 15%) of the chicken went on my plate.
  • jennipooh82
    jennipooh82 Posts: 331 Member
    Thanks guys! This helped out a lot! Again, thank you!