Need advice: loosing weight with no exercise...

Options
Hi folks
I'm an almost 40 years old woman, and I have a condition that makes barely impossible to me to exercise. So basically I have to rely on the nutrition only to lose weight (and some ridiculously light exercise, like walking 2km every 2/3 days, if I can).
Please note this is not out of lazyness or demotivation.

I already lose weight in the past and I had a number of issues because of my lack of exercise.
I basically "ate" my own muscles to the point I had a displaced scapula. I was incredibly weak, fragile and fatigued. I don't want to go through that again, but I'm now losing weight quickly (about 6 / 8 kg per month) and I noticed my protein intake is way to low (about 15% of what is supposed to be), so I'm scared I will "eat" my muscles again.

My diet is between 700 and 1000 cal / day.
I know it's low, but since I don't exercise at all it's the only way I can actually lose weight.
Any suggestions about which (very low calories) food I can add to my diet to somewhat preserve my muscles?

I was thinking about protein powder or similar, but I have no experience at all about this kind of stuff.

Any advice is very welcome.

Replies

• Noirette82
    Noirette82 Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Either way, 1200 is the absolute minimum recommended for women, and even at that I’ve come to understand it might be a struggle to get enough nutrients.

I was followed by a dietician amd a nutritionist in the past and both told me my diet should be around 1100/day.
    Please note I'm only 153cm (5') tall, a 38y.o. woman, and very 'inactive'.
    I gain weight if I go over 1300/day
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You are taking health risks with such a low calorie intake. I don't exercise a tiny bit, have a great diet of wonderful foods and have lost 65 lb in 2 years.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much do you currently weigh and how much do you want to lose? You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You should do whatever exercises are safe for you (walking or swimming, etc.) to maintain your overall health. :)

I took your age and height and plugged them into a TDEE calculator with a random guess on weight at 150 pounds. TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which means how many kcals you burn in a typical day. The calculator estimated your TDEE at 1,500 kcals in order to maintain that weight, and that's for a sedentary person.

Here's a link to the calculator so you can play with the numbers: https://tdeecalculator.net/

In addition to TDEE there's BMR - Basic Metabolic Rate - the minimum your body needs to function if you're in a coma and literally not moving. The calculator estimated your BMR is 1,200 kcals, which is far more than the 700-1,000 you say you are eating. So yes, you're probably "eating" your muscles and losing weight too quickly. Did you know your heart is a muscle too?

Here's a cautionary tale from a fellow MFP user:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1

Please seek the help of a qualified nutritionist, and take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you should be consulting with a healthcare professional in order to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable fashion, if indeed they think it is appropriate for you to lose weight at all at this point (you don’t mention your current weight in the post).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    If you’re losing at the rate you mentioned, then you can eat more. I’m the same age and height as you and I don’t go below 1200, ever.
  • Noirette82
    Options
    Thank you all for your advices!
    I'll definitely contact a new nutritionist to help me fix my diet.
    My current weight is 62kg, my goal is between 56 and 53. Normally I don't feel (and look) good if I go under that weight.
    I also asked a friend about which exercises can be good for me, and hopefully he'll help me find some light exercise routine I can actually follow.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Look on youtube for chair exercises and exercises for seniors. They tend to be slower and gentler to start.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Losing weight without a exercise means you lose muscle along with fat and end up having too much internal fat. We have a paraplegic lady who comes to yoga and does a lot to put sedentary people to shame. Walk a short distance most days. Add a few steps every day. You will preserve muscle better.

• Noirette82
    edited August 2020
    Options
    As i already stated clearly, I'm doing light exercise like walking every 2 / 3 days amd that's my best, as I have a condition which prevents me to move.
    I know way too well my muscles will be affected by the diet, as I already stated it happened to me in the past.
    I really don't need people like you shaming me for being "sedentary".
    And oh, congratulations on exploiting a paraplegic person to shame other people.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Noirette82 wrote: »
    As i already stated clearly, I'm doing light exercise like walking every 2 / 3 days amd that's my best, as I have a condition which prevents me to move.
    I know way too well my muscles will be affected by the diet, as I already stated it happened to me in the past.
    I really don't need people like you shaming me for being "sedentary".
    And oh, congratulations on exploiting a paraplegic person to shame other people.
    You're a piece of s---t.

I want to tell you that you are not alone.
    I have SLE Lupus, Arthritis, cervical impingement from degeneration and osteopenia/ osteoporosis.
    I was a life long athlete, marathon runner and figure competitor later on. I used to get an insane amount of exercise, training and especially running. Well, times have changed, health wise and responsibilities and time.
    I walk now and lift light weights. What was 2 hours a day 6 times a week is now 3 or 4 and for an hour. 16 and18 mile runs are now 3 and sometimes 10 or more days off here and there. Although this is still a lot for most people, for me and my body it's a huge adjustment and obviously eating too.
    I had maintained for about 7 to 9 years on 1550. Maitenance- no exercise caloroes back. Now i am at 1260. 1200 maintenance. However I am thin and small, to maintain this is what I have to do.
    During covid I was able to walk a lot and did workouts at home plus better control my eating. I had lost weight, and was eating less, between 1000 1200. However now that I'm back to work 1200 is maintenance and I need strength to work. I keep it above 1000 no matter what and get worried when I fall lower than 1100 ( which is probably pushing it already) Here is why-

1200 is very low. In order to maintain that i have discipline, still satiated and functional. ( granted I know your situation is different). I could go lower but it is not wise. - it is hard to maintain and is sometimes not fulfilling.- if i have to be a few pounds more or loose slow or thats maitenance it is better because it will be long lasting and also less restrictive. I had to make a concious desicion. However at 1200 I know its only just enough.
    Now given your situation I can see where you are coming from. My honest suggestion is stay at 1200 or so. Going below 1200 and maybe 1100 for your situation is rough and dangerous and not sustainable IMO.
    Please do not be hard on yourself and know sometimes the best intentions ate delivered hastily. My idea for you is keep doing any movement you are able and do not beat yourself up. You CAN find ways to " move" and it can just be very simple. But primarily take care of your heart and mind. Maybe even reading and meditation. Anything to create a feeling of wellness can increase the long term results. Also think long term.
    Don't give up, you will find way to peace 💙
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I actually AM extremely lazy and get very little exercise. I also have asthma. When watching TV, I at least try to do leg lifts or just move my legs around and have light weights for my arms also while watching TV. Lift your knees to your chest while in bed, one, then the other. Stretch every muscle! You can also do little things like every time you walk around your house, lift your knees up as high as you can like you’re marching. Try standing on one leg at a time and balance on that leg for as long as you can. Hold all your muscles tightly as hard as you can, release, and do a few more times. Hold one or two legs up in the air while in bed or watching TV, preferably with a light weight attached. Move your ankles in circles when in bed. Constantly tighten muscles and release. Get light weights to put on your ankles and wrists and wear around the house. Lean towards a wall and do light standing pushups against the wall. Stand with your back against the wall, bend knees, hold in stomach, and try to have your back flush straight against the wall and hold. There are tons of little things you can do without exhausting exercises to keep muscle tone.
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Also, yes, protein powder is good, I get Orgain organic with superfoods. Make sure you take vitamins. Collagen supplements are also good, high in protein and help skin, hair and nails. I eat very low calories too but everything I eat is PACKED with nutrients. When you eat super low calories, you can’t waste it on anything that does not have the highest nutritional value possible. Eat wild caught salmon, tuna in water, organic free range eggs (including the yolk!) and low fat/low sugar yogurt if you’re not a vegan. Also nuts, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseed meal, extra virgin olive oil (or olives) and avocados in small amounts to make sure you’re getting the right fats. Organic blueberries, other organic berries, organic apples, oranges, mango, bananas, spinach, kale. broccoli, carrots, asparagus... Make every calorie count with high nutrition! And even if you’re lying in bed reading or watching TV, keep moving your muscles, just small movements like moving your ankles in circles can burn calories and use your muscles. I eat the same amount of calories you do but bet you anything I get WAY more nutrition than average people who eat at McDonalds or buy prepackaged food. If you’re not moving very much, you don’t require as many calories but DO need enough to not eat your own muscles and organs so make sure everything you eat has the most nutrition possible and you’re getting enough protein. Not all calories are the same! If you eat 1000 calories of cake and McDonalds a day, you’ll be in the hospital. Google “most nutritious foods” and eat them exclusively making sure to balance all food groups. Eat a lot of lean protein. If you feel weak and tired and eating your own muscles, you are clearly doing something very wrong! I can’t imagine a doctor would recommend whatever it is you are doing.
  • VegjoyP
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Also, yes, protein powder is good, I get Orgain organic with superfoods. Make sure you take vitamins. Collagen supplements are also good, high in protein and help skin, hair and nails. I eat very low calories too but everything I eat is PACKED with nutrients. When you eat super low calories, you can’t waste it on anything that does not have the highest nutritional value possible. Eat wild caught salmon, tuna in water, organic free range eggs (including the yolk!) and low fat/low sugar yogurt if you’re not a vegan. Also nuts, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseed meal, extra virgin olive oil (or olives) and avocados in small amounts to make sure you’re getting the right fats. Organic blueberries, other organic berries, organic apples, oranges, mango, bananas, spinach, kale. broccoli, carrots, asparagus... Make every calorie count with high nutrition! And even if you’re lying in bed reading or watching TV, keep moving your muscles, just small movements like moving your ankles in circles can burn calories and use your muscles. I eat the same amount of calories you do but bet you anything I get WAY more nutrition than average people who eat at McDonalds or buy prepackaged food. If you’re not moving very much, you don’t require as many calories but DO need enough to not eat your own muscles and organs so make sure everything you eat has the most nutrition possible and you’re getting enough protein. Not all calories are the same! If you eat 1000 calories of cake and McDonalds a day, you’ll be in the hospital. Google “most nutritious foods” and eat them exclusively making sure to balance all food groups. Eat a lot of lean protein. If you feel weak and tired and eating your own muscles, you are clearly doing something very wrong! I can’t imagine a doctor would recommend whatever it is you are doing.

This... Good post and points. I'm vegan myself and get plenty of protein from greens,, tofu, tempeh, hemp, I love Sunwarrior protein and pea in cooking. The nutrient density of food is vital on a low calorie/ any calorie/ nutrition plan.
  • Noirette82
    Options
    I'm plant based, but even if I added low fat greek yogurt, occasionally fish, and focusing on high protein food like beans, it's very hard to reach the daily protein quota as all high protein food is also high-cal (compared to what I regularly eat, like cucomber or celery).
    Junk food is not a problem as I don't like it, and it's not available where I live. I basically eat tons of veggies and fruit, so I don't need vitamin supplements.
    Unfortunately I have some intolerance/allergies too, I can't eat eggs for example. It's complicated. That's why I was thinking about protein powder.
    I'll have a look to the organic powder suggested above.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Noirette82 wrote: »
    I'm plant based, but even if I added low fat greek yogurt, occasionally fish, and focusing on high protein food like beans, it's very hard to reach the daily protein quota as all high protein food is also high-cal (compared to what I regularly eat, like cucomber or celery).
    Junk food is not a problem as I don't like it, and it's not available where I live. I basically eat tons of veggies and fruit, so I don't need vitamin supplements.
    Unfortunately I have some intolerance/allergies too, I can't eat eggs for example. It's complicated. That's why I was thinking about protein powder.
    I'll have a look to the organic powder suggested above.

Sunwarrior, Garden of Life RAW are 2 popular plant based you may consider 💚