How to safely run in grass?

Options
This is the second time I’ve sprained my ankle in as many months and I am so extremely over it. The first time I was trying to improve my speed and going too fast, so ok, my bad. But the second time I was running my normal speed, route, and distance, pain-free, with a doctor’s approval to return to running, and looking in front of myself watching out for potholes. What Else Can I Do to keep myself safe in the grass??? What precautions do you guys take?

Thanks guys

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    So the few times that I safely ran in the grass was when I ran in a soccer field. I'm so prone to injuries that if I were to run in my backyard or even a park, I would get injured for sure. Maybe you can go to a shoe store and tell them that you want to run in grass, and they should be able to help. Other than that maybe go slow, which you seem to be doing. Good luck and I hope that you get better.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I think the hairiest part of running in grass is not being able to see the terrain that it is hiding which is why i’ve seen it not recommended... those blades can hide a lot of evils! Although I am sure a wide open field is different than a location designed for sports. Is there a specific place you like? Or just grass in general? You might be able to ask about going to a golf course before and after business hours... that is going to be the best maintained landscaping outside of a pro sports field (or D1 college). Shoot, my college soccer field (for the school team, not even rec leagues or classes) was also the school’s driving range, talk about stupid!
  • Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maybe! We do have a golf course nearby. I run in the grassy margin between the sidewalk and the road, in my neighbourhood. And yeah, the potholes are crazy 😓 I’ve been running there for a couple years now, and this summer is the first time I’ve gotten injured like that. I don’t know what I’m suddenly doing wrong 😣
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Avoid wearing running shoes in grass, because their spongy, thick sole makes it harder to have ankle control. Go with shoes with a thin, hard rubber sole, preferably with uppers that aren't very stretchy. Good shoes include Crossfit-type shoes like Nike Metcon & Reebok Nano, indoor soccer shoes, wrestling shoes, etc. Keep in mind they have a lower low "heel to toe drop" than most running shoes, which gives the better ankle control, but sometimes causes Achilles pain, so increase distance gradually.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    As a barefoot runner people usually assume I like running in soft grass but in reality I hate running in the grass due to the poor visibility and completely avoid it whenever possible. If I do have to run through the grass I alter my gait by slowing down, lifting my knees higher and placing my foot down in a more gentle manner (kind of in a “prancing” fashion I guess? :D ) in case I do encounter a hole through the grass this buys me a bit more time to move my feet to compensate accordingly, at least until I can get back to ground with better visibility.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Maybe! We do have a golf course nearby. I run in the grassy margin between the sidewalk and the road, in my neighbourhood. And yeah, the potholes are crazy 😓 I’ve been running there for a couple years now, and this summer is the first time I’ve gotten injured like that. I don’t know what I’m suddenly doing wrong 😣
    Might not be you! Could be a new critter digging holes, vehicle(s) changing the ruts, excess rain causing new channels...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I twisted my ankle running on grass a long time ago. I couldn’t walk for days. I never ran on grass again. That was forty years ago.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    For disclosure -- I can't run any longer (though I did a nice job of sprinting last week when a sudden hail storm crushed me going out to check the mail!), but when I did, I loved trail running. Not the same, but similar -- roots, ruts and lots surprises in the trail. I also ran in Ohio where rain made footing especially treacherous.

I had terrible ankles in my youth -- didn't take hardly anything to sprain them. Now, I've turned my foot I can tell you how many times and I haven't had a sprain in years.

Think about training your ankles, separate from the running. Balance boards are great for that. Bosu Balls are great too. Work on your strength and stability in your ankles. That will (somewhat) help prevent injuries. If you're lengthened your tendons with all the sprains, it might be a bit harder. Get a Theraband and work on your strength with the band around a chair -- inward and exterior movements. That will help shorten the tendon again and get it back to where it's less likely to sprain. Consider a PT for one or two visits to help you learn exercises for your ankles.

Good luck.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Maybe it’s the grass/ground condition that has changed and you’re not doing anything “wrong”.