Meal Prepping for long work shifts!

Options
I get to go back to work (after a 6-week hiatus after gallbladder surgery) and will be working 4 12-hour shifts in a row. I live over an hour away from work so I need to pack 3 meals and a couple of snacks.

I have some homemade nuggets and chicken patties that I plan to bring for lunches, I have some crackers with tuna or chicken salad, I can throw together some salads...but I have been eating these things and I need some new stuff. Also not looking to spend a ton of time prepping though either (FL heat vs. oven vs. AC... not a fun game lol)

Any tips appreciated. I am not doing any specific diet, just lower fat, and low calorie.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pigsrock137
    pigsrock137 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One of my easiest food preps is cooking chickpeas in hot sauce you can put them in wraps, salads or anything else you can think of its so easy and cheap
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I only cook chicken. Usually on the stove. Then i bring fruit and veggie bags, almonds, protein shakes, rice and flax with coconut oil. Protein bar if im feeling frisky...
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can try frozen meal packs that are steamable in the bag, pop it in the microwave. I tried this Southwest style quinoa blend and added it to my meal with honey chiptole chicken. Or eat it as a salad by itself with sour cream, avocado, and lime. (It was a blend of corn, black beans, swt potatoes, red quinoa and already seasoned.) You can find stuff like that in the frozen vegetable aisle. I always keep on hand bulk bags of frozen turkey meatballs, 93% lean. They're already seasoned too and if you steam them, no oil needed. For some reason, steamed meat and veggies makes me want to eat and eat lol. Frozen chicken, turkey or salmon burgers to grill all at once and can re heat on the go. Slap it between a bun and add what you want. Make stews or soups to have as a meal or side. For one person that could be 1-2 weeks of meals. I make lentil stews, spring vegetable soup in chicken broth and a couple others. MFP has a tasty looking pumpkin stew and soup if you want to check that out, low calorie and low fat I believe. Easy to control the fat and sodium with big batches.
    You could try smart balance butter to add to steamed potatoes or vegetables, lower fat than dairy. I'll steam a bag once a week and make potato salads, half mash, add it to a stew or have as a side.
    I understand the oven thing, I can tell ya I haven't used mine since April. If I think of anything else I'll post back. Oh, look into some liver friendly foods.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Cook a big pot of pasta, then customise each portion with different ingredients. It will be filling, and you can eat it cold, or if you have access to a microwave, hot. You can make the four portions together, in advance and freeze day 3 and 4.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I only pack breakfast and lunch and a snack, but it looks like this:

Breakfast: Plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and frozen berries. I switch up the flavor of protein and the type of berry to keep from getting bored.

Lunch: I smoke a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday. I then use them on salads, or in a wrap, or with some other veggie side throughout the week.

Snack is usually always a protein bar, or protein chips.