New and SUPER excited!

Options
I've been using MFP for five days (today 9-7-11 being the 5th day) and I love it! This is my first time entering the community because I'm not really a person who shares everything. I've been reading several inspirational and motivating stories and I'm just shocked by how open, accepting, and supportive this community is! I thought that I'd be doing this alone but to see so many other people going through the same struggle as me... to see all these big people turning smaller and healthier and none of them are being made fun of or ridiculed. I LOVE IT!

Here's a brief of my story: I am 21 years old and when I started the site I was 330 pounds. (I gained three pounds by the second day but probably because I ate like I normally do on day 1.) I had a difficult childhood and turned to food in hopes that it would stop reason behind the pain. I became an emotional eater (eating when I was sad, or angry or even happy), food was my friend. As the pain continued I became a secretive eater as well. I would sneak food into my room and even a few times I would find myself eating in the back of the closet because no one could see me. I am still emotional eating, but I'm trying to break myself of the secretive eating. I'm not making excuses about my weight, just stating that this is what led me to where I am.

Each year I got heavier and heavier but couldn't stop myself. I knew that it wasn't healthy but I couldn't scare myself into losing the weight. At 19 I was 260 pounds and moved in with someone who was larger. I didn't realize it, but living with this roommate helped me gain 60 pounds in 10 months! (The last 10 pounds came from depression after realizing "oh god, I gained THAT much weight?") 7 days before my 21st birthday I moved out of that state and for a few months was constantly depressed.

You know the saying "I eat because I'm depressed, and I'm depressed because I eat"? That was me hardcore for several months. I was stuck in that constant loop, slipping lower into a dark hole that I'd never climb out of. I would look at all these gorgeous skinny girls and felt like they were constantly judging me. It didn't matter that they weren't, I imagined what they were saying. "Ew fatty, why did you come out of your house?" "Why are you dressed up? Trying to look pretty? You'll never get a man heifer!" On and on it went, getting worse and worse. Every handsome guy I see I don't even try for. Why would they want me?

I was talking to a girl at work one day and she told me about this site. At first I was thinking "Uh huh, yeah I know I'm fat. Why would I want a website to tell me that? I don't even go to the doctor for a check up because one of the first things is 'You know you have to lose this weight.'" But when I got home that night I was still thinking about it so I logged in. I put in my goals and logged what I ate that day. ... I may not have been able to scare myself into being healthy but I sure as heck shocked myself into it! After seeing how many calories I had eaten that day I was surprised ... and kind of disgusted with myself. Right then in that moment I promised that I would get healthier. I know it's going to be a struggle and I'm scared of failing, but I have to do this for me.

I have not officially weighed in (I won't until day 7) because I'm scared that this is just fluctuation and I'll gain it back (plus more). But I was curious, so I stepped onto the scale before starting this post ... Drumroll please? ..... 327.8lbs!!!!! I realize that's a pound a day and that it won't stay like that (and it's not healthy loss), but it was just an amazing feeling to see the numbers low. It's going to help me work towards my goal.

So I want to take this time to thank everyone on this site. You don't know me, you haven't commented on anything I've done, but you've influenced and inspired me just by posting your stories. So thank you now and a million times over! I'm looking forward to being a healthier me. :smile:

Replies

• fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! There are tools here you can use & a ton of support!!! Good luck on your journey!!! :-)
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    welcome to mfp!!! :) i can definitely relate to your story. i was overweight my whole life, and by the end of high school i was somewhere around 300 lbs. when i lived away at college the weight started dropping off because i was eating less (cant binge in front of a skinny, unfriendly roommate) and started going to the gym for the first time and eventually taught myself how to eat healthy. since my heaviest ive lost 100 lbs and im determined to keep going until im done!!!

just wanted to say you can do it! and enjoy the ride! this is a journey to your new life. :smile:
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Welcome... add me as a friend if you'd like!! :bigsmile:
  • ydeleon
    Options
    Welcome!!! Everyone on here is very supportive. :happy:
  • KimmehL
    KimmehL Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Wow:) I wish you so much success. I am definitely an emotional eater--I eat when I am sad, happy and everything in between. The heavier I have gotten, the more upset I would get, and the more I would eat. It makes so sense, yet, here I am.

Anyhow, nice to meet you!
  • SamK5269
    SamK5269 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    welcome to mfp!!! :) i can definitely relate to your story. i was overweight my whole life, and by the end of high school i was somewhere around 300 lbs. when i lived away at college the weight started dropping off because i was eating less (cant binge in front of a skinny, unfriendly roommate) and started going to the gym for the first time and eventually taught myself how to eat healthy. since my heaviest ive lost 100 lbs and im determined to keep going until im done!!!

just wanted to say you can do it! and enjoy the ride! this is a journey to your new life. :smile:

Congratulations on losing the 100!
  • SamK5269
    Options
    Welcome!!! Everyone on here is very supportive. :happy:

I see that. I love not having to do this alone. Thank you.
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    welcome
    you will love this site
    feel free to add me:)
    good luck
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Welcome, feel free to add me if you are looking for friends to support you :)
  • PJFaber
    Options
    Great job!!! Keep up the good work. It will come off slowly, but with work it will come off. I started Weight Watchers in 2008 at 315. I found this site when I was stalled at 214. It has helped to continue on this journey with success. Keep on working hard.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    First of all...Congratulations! You have taken the first step to a whole new you! Just remember to keep your focus on being healthy. If you happen to have something that isn't good for you, it doesn't have to derail your journey. All you do is pick up your journey and continue! I wish you much success and happiness!

I have a blog that has some good recipes and my personal experience if you'd like to check it out! Have fun with this new you!

joy.lewis4life.org
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You sound like a very sweet person. I am glad that you are stepping out of your comfort zone. You will find the strength to lose the weight and will be proud of yourself as you hit your milestones.

Emotional pain is a real thing, and sometimes, in order to heal it, we need to walk through it instead of avoiding it. Think of the pain as an invitation to heal. Every time you feel it, go for a walk. Do something to clear your head. Make logging in here your reward. We can celebrate with you, too, if you do that.

Hugs and best wishes!
  • luvlite2
    Options
    Good job on taking the 1st step. It's alwasy the hardest. You are not alone, this site is so very helpful and you're right..not judgemental at all. So, lets go for it!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard and best of luck on your journey to a new you! I can relate to your story as well. I do have to say though you are wrong about one thing....you are one of those beautiful girls, never forget that!!!!! :flowerforyou:

I would love to have you as part of my support team, please add me!

Jeanette
  • 65kalena
    65kalena Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too started this site 5 days ago! I am an emotional eater also and the pounds just kept creeping on in the past yeat. It seems like a lot of work to keep track of everything I eat but it's opening my eyes to how many calories etc. are in each food. It has helped me stay away from the bad food.
    It's also nice to be able to see the amount of calories that come off the food diary after every workout. Good luck with your journey...be positive with each new day. LOVE this site and all the inspiration! I hope to lose 30-35 lbs. and be able to lose my muffin top:)
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Welcome,

If all you do is log your food, you are very likely to see real weight loss. It just builds from there.

See this recent article: http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/nutrition_weight_control/food-diary_5832-1.html
  • SamK5269
    Options
    Firstly let me just say Oh My Gosh! I go to clean the house for an hour and I get so many people reply. I'm shocked! So many people excited for me and willing to be a support team. When I saw some of the posts talking about their MFP family I didn't understand, but I sure do now! Wow. Thank you everyone!
  • Losin_N_2018
    Losin_N_2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on here too long but I can tell you that it's incredible the support you receive. I too am an emotional eater and sugar addict. I can relate to how tough it is. It's such a mental challenge everyday. I have figured out to try and never see a day as failed but that tomorrow is a new day to try something that will work. I do have my moments that I have eaten the whole bag of "something I shouldn't", but the next day I get up & challenge myself to do better. Little changes WILL turn into big results. You are not alone! We are all here to help support you in this journey.
  • cuca17
    Options
    Sam,:flowerforyou:

Welcome to MFP you have taken the best step to begging with a new you. You are very young and beautiful girl. No matter how hard life has been, you are bless. Believe in you and you are going to reach your goal.

Do not hesitate to lose lots of weight in a week. If you lose a pound a week you will be losing 52 pounds in a year. No matter how depress you feel just think about you (do it for your health and for yourself). Don’t worry about what other think or say (no body is perfect).

Log in everyday and keep track, no matter if one day you eat more than others (here you will always fine support). This is a great site for you to begin this new journey.

I do recommend you to schedule a doctor visit (at least once a year). Is important to have a physical annually, also asked the doctor to check your thyroid (because if you don’t ask they don’t check). I do suffer from hypothyroidism and didn’t know after few years.

Little by little you will start learning more about what to eat that is healthier for you. There are lots of members that have been here longer then us and we can learn from them. Is very important not to skip meals/snacks (this had helped me a lot).

Sam you can do it…this is a journey to your new life.

Wishing you lot of happiness and success…I know you can do it.

If you want add me as a friend, I be here to support you as well as many other members.

Good luck, hope to see you around.
    Cuca17:smile:
  • muskiemama
    Options
    Welcome! You have taken the first step and there are plenty of people here to help you along the way. You can do anything you put your mind to. Feel free to add me if you'd like.