my fellow c25k'ers

Options
So I have been training using that C25k program for about 4 weeks now. I am certainly more and more able to sustain a run for longer then I EVER have before.

My question is this - yesterday I decided to check my HR during my run through my HRM to determine if it was WNL. Turns out it was around 183 when I checked it (and this was about 3:30min into the 4 min interval) ... physically I felt FINE .. I mean I was starting to get tired (this was my first time doing a 4 minute run) but I was not out of breath or any other odd s/e. Also - at the end of my interval within 10-15 seconds my HR was/is down to 150--> 133-->129

What is your HR typically when you run? Do you notice it being higher then other cardio? I know that my typical HR should be 130-179 - should I be worried and back off the running for a while until I get more fit? Do you think this is okay since it is not this high for sustained periods of time just short 3-4 min intervals?

I have been working out for about 3 months now and definitely can see a HUGE difference in my endurance and certainly rotate workouts between classes and on the elliptical I have been doing 'interval' options and stay around 150-155 during the interval and 130 at my 'resting' periods. I have noticed when I take my high intensity classes - Cardio Kick / Bootcamp - sometimes when I check my HR is around 166 at like higher parts of class and I take a minute to calm down & it does....

I guess I just want to make sure that I am not a freak of nature and that I am not doing more HARM then good.

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hey. Yes my HR is def higher with running than anything else (except perhaps biking uphill). I'm only on week 3 of c25k but when I'm running my HR goes up around 170 and actually peaked at 191 the other day (was a little worried).

As to your questions, no idea if this is "normal" or not. But those are my stats. I'm 24 and BMI 31..
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
    Hi, it's just my humble opinion, but heart rate questions really should be addressed by a physician.
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have had the same concern, my heart rate has peaked at 183-185 while running as well. I'm curious to what some seasoned runners might say. As far a my physician.....ha... we don't have many good ones around here, Probably better off diagnosing myself.
  • Rachel1913
    Rachel1913 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 5, and toward the end of my run intervals, my HR is usually between 180 and 185.
  • cshapiro926
    Options
    to the statement about requesting information from a physician - I am not looking for a 'medical' opinion... I am a Registered Nurse and have regularly seen my MD for routine checkups etc (as much as a 27y.o should)

I was more hoping for insight from other runners / c25k'ers who have done this before and measure their HR. I am curious to see if others HR's peak around here too during the run.

certainly I am not a 'runner' - however this is my first 'running' type program and I have really not payed too much attention to my HR in past years of running ...
  • cshapiro926
    Options
    bump