Depression and training.

Options
Does anyone else suffer with low mood?
I suffer with low mood I do find if I dont train I'm really down for the day is this case with anyone else?

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Yes, not so much now, im mostly recovered.

Its a vicious cycle of feeling so depressed you don't even want to train, to feeling more depressed because you didn't train.

I used to write down how I felt before I trained then after. Realised every time I trained I wrote more positive things. And realised that it made me feel good so kept at it!!

(This didnt cure my depression btw but it helped on harder days)
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel a mood bump up if I train. Right now I work out outdoors and when the weather is bad I get the double effect of a rainy dreary day plus no working out. Trying to do some indoor stuff but it’s honestly tough to get moving sometimes.
    Also, rest days are killer if I don’t have an “active” recovery activity planned in advance. Now I make up my mind the day before how and what I will do on rest days.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There is good evidence that exercise can help to lift mood. But I agree it is such a vicious circle: feel down - don't exercise - feel worse. :(
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    There is good evidence that exercise can help to lift mood. But I agree it is such a vicious circle: feel down - don't exercise - feel worse. :(

I know it sucks, but if you just do it, break the cycle. And its hard af. Because every bit of you just wants to crawl back into that ball of depression but you gotta fight your way out. Fight fight fight.

You gotta do what you NEED to do, not what you WANT to do.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I'm better now because of medication, but if something upsets me I can end up in bed for a day. I just take it one day at a time - exercise definitely helps. You are not alone friend!