When to Stop

Options
So I have finally reached my goal (depending on the day within .8 pounds today). I am wondering if once a person reaches the goal, (115 was mine) do you go down like 2 pounds (113) so that you can have a small band of like 4 pounds to fluctuate? (113-117)? I know weight fluctuates and is also "just a number" but for maintenance I'd like to have a point of reference until I'm used to it. I just lost about 40 pounds (-39.3 was actual value today) and I'm not looking to return even to the next size! Thoughts?

Starting WT = 155.1
Goal WT = 115
Current WT = 115.8
Weight Loss = -39.3
Started Jan 6, 2011

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    first of all - CONGRATS TO YOU! that is awesome, esp since you started this year! way to go!

i actually dont' have an answer, just wanted to say congrats and hopefully someone will have an answer b/c i would like to know that myself. :smile:
  • chasidieason
    Options
    Congrats from me too! I also don't have an answer, but I would like to know. Great job!!!
  • melissabee31
    Options
    How tall are you? Make sure that your weight is still in the healthy area for your BMI. If you go too low to a weight that your body cannot naturally maintain, you can slow your metabolism, become deficient in vital nutrients, and weaken your bones.
  • miahsmommy777
    Options
    Congrat!!!! 40 lbs is a big deal. You ask when to stop, me personally would say never stop. Healthy living is a lifestyle change and you did fabulous work making the adjustments to obtain your goal. Keep working it girl!!!
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would go down another 2 pounds just to give yourself some fluctuation room if it's that important to you. I fluctuate 3-5 pounds at any given time ..I am okay with it b/c I know it's just water. No one can possibly gain 5 pounds of fat in 24 hours. :P It's personal choice. congrats and great job :)
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I don't have a professional response to that question but I can say that if I fluctuate 3 - 4 pounds, I consider that "normal". A permanent weight gain of more than 5 pounds would make me reevaluate my maintenance program. Hope that helps and Congrats again!
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal! I am no expert but maybe you could adjust your goals to maintenance and see what happens. Your weight will fluctuate by a few pounds anyway so as long as you are comfortable with your size and your clothes fit, enjoy the fruits of your labor! Hope this makes sense :)
  • carlobuff
    Options
    I found this on the web.

Maintaining Your New Weight
    By Dietitian, Juliette Kellow BSc RD
    Q: When you get to your healthy target weight, what’s the best way to maintain it? Should you increase your calorie intake all at once or by so many calories each day?
    A: This is a really good question – and congratulations on hitting target, or at least almost being there. After weeks, months or even years of controlling your calorie intake knowing what to do when you hit target can be scary but you can’t stick with your dieting calorie allowance forever.
    While some successful slimmers prefer to immediately increase their calorie intake, others prefer to do it in steps. In many ways, this is a good idea as it helps you to concentrate on getting your extra calories by gradually increasing the portion sizes of the foods you’re already eating rather than suddenly adding in chocolate, crisps, booze and takeaways. I recommend this five-step plan to maintain your new healthier weight.
    Five Step Plan
    Step 1 Once you reach target, add 250 calories a day to your existing daily calorie intake. This means if you’ve been having 1,250 calories each day, you should now have 1,500 calories a day.
    Step 2 After a week, weigh yourself on your usual scales. You’ll probably have lost a little more weight. If so, add another 250 calories to last week’s daily allowance. So, if you were having 1,500 calories a day, now have 1,750 calories daily.
    Step 3 After a week, weigh yourself again. If you’ve lost more weight, add an extra 250 calories to your daily intake, for example from 1,750 calories to 2,000 calories each day.
    Step 4 After a week, if your weight has stabilised that’s the amount of calories you need each day to keep your new slim shape. If you’ve gained a tiny amount, drop your daily calorie intake by 100 calories, for example, from 2,000 calories to 1,900 calories daily. After a week, weigh yourself again. If your weight has stayed the same, that’s the amount of calories you need each day for weight maintenance. If your weight has gone up or down, juggle your daily calorie intake by 50 calories a day until your weight eventually stabilises.
    Step 5 Weigh yourself once a week on your usual scales until you are confident that you’re maintaining your healthy weight.
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congrat!!!! 40 lbs is a big deal. You ask when to stop, me personally would say never stop. Healthy living is a lifestyle change and you did fabulous work making the adjustments to obtain your goal. Keep working it girl!!!
    I think she meant when to stop losing weight not eating healthy.
    First I'd like to say congratulations. Second My point of view is if you are happy with how you look and feel at the weight you are at now and don't need toning then just maintain now. If you need toning then just work on that and maintaining...
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the congratulation's :-) I'm 5 foot even with a medium frame so 115 is actually more in the midpoint of my BMI using height (frame not considered), I was always like 107-110 in high school (sports practices daily!) but 115 is where I believe i should be with a maintainable caloric daily intake. Now that question being answered, I think I will follow that step plan, that is great. Thank you so much for researching that. I would LOVE to go to 107-110 but know that, in reality, the time to stop is when it can be maintained in a healthy manner and without affecting daily life in a way where you feel deprived. I love pizza and still plan on consuming that in moderation and I don't plan on extending any workouts pass an hour haha. (and 5 pounds is like 100 less calories I'd be allowed per day on maintenance in case anyone was wondering why I won't do 5 more!)
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yep I understand :-) I have not dieted this entire time since I started, I still have whatever I want as long as it's in the calorie budget for the day and replace things like fries with salads and one slice of pizza for dinner and maybe a fruit salad to accompany, etc. There is NO dieting that is maintainable for life, only lifestyle changes. Deprivation seems to cause others to binge, I'd rather have 4 potato chips and satisfy a salt craving than deny myself til i'm elbow deep in the bag and 20 pounds heavier! haha
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

I don't know from personal experience yet, but what I am doing is dieting until my body reaches it's ideal weight...meaning that I will attempt to reach a low goal, but if my weight goes up just by eating regularly I will see where it stops... ^.^

I would maybe loss another 3 pounds just incase. The one great thing about having reached your goal weight though is that even when you gain a pound, all you have to take back off is 1 pound!

So CONGRATS AGAIN :D
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I think that 5 step plan that was posted previously is awesome. Thanks for providing that info!