1 jean size...6 weeks...is it possible?

Options
Hello everyone!

I am new to the site,as of 8/29/11, but I have been a long time member of trying to lose weight. Who hasn't been? :laugh:

As a new member, I would like everyone's opinion/suggestion/tips. I am looking to lose a total of 60-70lbs but my first major goal is to lose 20lbs by 11/30/11. My first minor goal is to fit into my size 14 jeans by 10/20/11 (currently a stretched out 16...oops!). I have been tracking my calories and trying to work out 3x's a week. According to the site, I am under eating and should be a specific weight in 5 weeks...BUT I am weighing myself and the last few days I am gaining what I lost in the first few days. I am not trying to eat less than I should, it just happens! I weigh and measure as much of my food as possible and have stayed away from any 'bad' foods. I try not to eat past 7 and drink a lot of water. I am opening my food diary to the public, if you have any recommendations or suggestions, please let me know....I am in it for the long run!!

Thanks!! :happy:

Replies

• Hi there, welcome to the site!

I'm new here as well, but from what you've told me, perhaps the weight you've put on is muscle mass. If the exercise you are doing is high resistance then it is a possibility. But that is good thing! Muscle used more energy in its resting state then most (if not all) other tissue, so if it is muscle, it may be a bit of a downer now, but by the end of the six weeks, it might prove to be a great help in where you want to be in terms of your weight :)

If it's not muscle, then perhaps it's the "starvation mode" deal. And if that's the case then maybe forcing yourself to eat to whatever goal daily calories this site has provided you with would help.

And then there is just the day by day weight fluctuation, you might just be at a bad patch.

Note that I am not an expert, and this is just speculation - take it or leave it :) And good luck! I have no doubt that you'll get there in six weeks, it's certainly not impossible with the right diet and exercise regime :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Plain and simple. 1200 NET (1200 + anything burned through exercise) is the minimum for a female (1000 or lower if supervised by a physician). With a quick peak at your diary I noticed most days you net 500-900 cals. Over time this will cause your metabolism to slow. Your body will hold onto every little thing you put into it. Calories=energy. You need energy to make energy. Therefore eat and you will lose more!
  • flabfighter31
    flabfighter31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome first of all always eating just over the 1200 mark to keep out of starvation mode theres plenty of info on this site about it secondly weigh yourself once a week on a certain day and time mines is friday morning before breakfast. if you weigh yourself everyday your going to get confused as your put weight fluctates during the week. As for droping a jean size in 6 weeks yes its possable is it hard yes you have to be an angel with your food and you exercise somwthing i have struggle with for a number of weeks (summer break should be cancelled when your trying to lose weight) i myself is trying to lose 10 pounds within the next 6 weeks and well this week isn't excatly going very well although as long as i lose something i guess i will be heading in the right direction i'm no angel well good luck
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    You need to eat more. Plain and simple. 1200 NET (1200 + anything burned through exercise) is the minimum for a female (1000 or lower if supervised by a physician). With a quick peak at your diary I noticed most days you net 500-900 cals. Over time this will cause your metabolism to slow. Your body will hold onto every little thing you put into it. Calories=energy. You need energy to make energy. Therefore eat and you will lose more!

I have been trying to eat more but I get full and really don't want to force feed myself. I try eating more fruit but notice that it just puts me in the whole in regards to my sugar intake. :ohwell:
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    totally possible to lose 1 jean size in 6 week in a healthy weight... (however notif you are already in healthy weight range)....usually losing 12 pounds will lead to a fall in 1 or 2 jean sizes!!!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yup you can do that- definitely- I agree with all the other posters- I know it seems counter intuitive to eat more to lose weight, but it is true. I am the queen bee of yo yo dieting and my body has paid a price for it- catch it now and get your body working the way it's supposed to.

If you're having trouble eating the calories because you are full (I'd be starved on 600 calories a day), then eat small things that are packed with good proteins, good fats, etc- like peanut butter or nuts- there are many different variety of nuts that will boost your calorie intake but are also good for you. (without making you feel sickingly full)

good luck and stick with it!

ps- oh- don't weigh yourself everyday. I weigh in every 3 days or so- but I dont' get upset if the numbers are off- and I only record my "weigh in day" which is Friday in the morning- then, the numbers are what they are.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements or relying solely on weight? In the month of July I lost 8lbs - totally respectable, but I also lost 8 inches (arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs) which was huge. I took pictures and the difference in pictures in that 4.5 weeks with 8 lbs lost was unreal! And yes - a lot of my smaller clothes fit again.

I cannot stress enough taking "before" pictures - nothing hit home that I needed to lose weight like seeing the before and nothing made me feel better than seeing the "after" (during - I'm not at goal weight yet).

I'm not a calorie nazi - if you still have a fair amount of weight to lose I think "starvation mode" takes a long time to get to. But if you have MFP set up to lose 2lbs/week and you are still considerably under your calorie goal you might want to increase a bit.
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    totally possible to lose 1 jean size in 6 week in a healthy weight... (however notif you are already in healthy weight range)....usually losing 12 pounds will lead to a fall in 1 or 2 jean sizes!!!

Definitely not in a 'healthy weight range' but that would be the ultimate goal. I am 5'3 and currently 194...my goal would be 140 even though it would be very close to being 'overweight' .According to MFP I should be between 104 and 141...I just can't see myself anywhere near 104lbs...
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    Are you taking measurements or relying solely on weight? In the month of July I lost 8lbs - totally respectable, but I also lost 8 inches (arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs) which was huge. I took pictures and the difference in pictures in that 4.5 weeks with 8 lbs lost was unreal! And yes - a lot of my smaller clothes fit again.

I cannot stress enough taking "before" pictures - nothing hit home that I needed to lose weight like seeing the before and nothing made me feel better than seeing the "after" (during - I'm not at goal weight yet).

I'm not a calorie nazi - if you still have a fair amount of weight to lose I think "starvation mode" takes a long time to get to. But if you have MFP set up to lose 2lbs/week and you are still considerably under your calorie goal you might want to increase a bit.

Well, I did my initial weigh in when I started, I was at 198.4lbs. I did my first measurements 2 days later...but I only did my neck and waist (should have done the hips too, but maybe next week I will start) and when I measured myself again today, a week later, I went down half an inch in my neck and 1/4 in my waist, and I have lost 4.4lbs. So there is some loss, just not very noticeable yet.

In regards to pictures, I did take some, but am not brave enough to post them yet, maybe after my first 30lbs so the difference will be more noticeable lol

And I do have a lot of weight to lose...and I did read a post about starvation mode just yesterday, which, if I read correctly, I wouldn't be in starvation mode yet, it's only been a week and there is a lot for my body to feed from.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

In regards to pictures, I did take some, but am not brave enough to post them yet, maybe after my first 30lbs so the difference will be more noticeable lol

I'm not brave enough to post the pictures either. Even when I hit goal weight I'm a little horrified of other people seeing the 'befores".
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options

I'm not brave enough to post the pictures either. Even when I hit goal weight I'm a little horrified of other people seeing the 'befores".

I have been heavier than I am now, so there has been worse to see, but these are more of a 'sports bra an undie' kind of shot, don't need to be giving anyone nightmares yet lol....at least when there are 'after' pictures, it will be easier to digest the view :laugh:
  • jessbennett1986
    Options

Definitely not in a 'healthy weight range' but that would be the ultimate goal. I am 5'3 and currently 194...my goal would be 140 even though it would be very close to being 'overweight' .According to MFP I should be between 104 and 141...I just can't see myself anywhere near 104lbs...

I am the same way with what my BMI should be. According to MFP and most other sites My heaviest without being considered overweight is 135lbs! I'm 5"2. When I was at my lowest 3 years ago, I was at 130 lbs. A lot of people told me I looked too thin and slightly anorexic. Just do this slowly and when you get to 140, you decide if its the best look and feel for you. I'm currently 142 and another 5lbs would make me feel better, but I do feel good about myself now!

I also agree with the other poster about before and after pics. Just take them so that when you do lose weight you might get the courage to post them to help boost your ego when everyone comments on how good you look. I looked so much better with a 30lb loss from one year ago. And it helps keep me in check as to why I want to do this. You can do this!!
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options

I am the same way with what my BMI should be. According to MFP and most other sites My heaviest without being considered overweight is 135lbs! I'm 5"2. When I was at my lowest 3 years ago, I was at 130 lbs. A lot of people told me I looked too thin and slightly anorexic. Just do this slowly and when you get to 140, you decide if its the best look and feel for you. I'm currently 142 and another 5lbs would make me feel better, but I do feel good about myself now!

I also agree with the other poster about before and after pics. Just take them so that when you do lose weight you might get the courage to post them to help boost your ego when everyone comments on how good you look. I looked so much better with a 30lb loss from one year ago. And it helps keep me in check as to why I want to do this. You can do this!!

I am going through the same thing!! I have a picture of when I was in H.S, I was 147lbs-which would be considered overweight for me- and people tell me I look sickly and that I am crazy if I want to get that thin. I still felt heavy at that weight and had a lot of stomach still. But I was able to fit in a size M dress, even though it was a bit tight in the chest, I am top heavy, which is another reason I could not be 104lbs! lol

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!!
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    Soooo....my goal was 1 jean size in 6 weeks, there are 2 weeks to go aaaaaaaaaand.....I dont think its going to happen! :sad:
    I am have been working more, 5-7 days a week....trying to eat most of my calories back (still cant manage to do that) and yet, my jeans fitting is no where in sight. Now, I wore my size 16's this weekend and had to wear a belt, but the 14's still give me a muffin top!

Maybe its just not a good day, maybe next weigh in day will be better!
    Keeping my fingers crossed! :frown:
  • tina2222
    Options
    Easy! I lost a jean size in 4weeks just using the site and exercising - nothing else. Although i do make sure if i go to the gym that i burn at least 550cals on the treadmill and burn 100cals in strength training. Sometimes i add 100cals on the exefcise bike as well.