Loosing weight and Adderall?

Options
I was just interested in hearing other people's experiences with weight loss and adderall. I have diagnosed ADHD and my Dr recently switched me from Ritalin to adderall. Supposedly the drugs work the same but I never really noticed anything with ritalin. But since I've started adderall my focus is on hyper drive, workouts no longer feel like a chore and I go longer, im not very hungry and im loosing weight like crazy. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Replies

• mimitvass
    mimitvass Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am I started back on adderall after having my second baby ... I started back on it about a month ago and I've lose 8 lbs since starting :) I only take half the dose cause I'm not a fan of the hyper feeling I get but even on a low dose I'm losing weight fast :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Adderall is a stimulant so yes.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm just concerned about my heart rate when exercising. I wear a heart rate monitor to track it because it feels extremely fast. Usually between 160 BPM to 189 BPM
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I'm not surprised but as long as you feel ok it's fine. If you feel like you're dying than you'll have to dial down the intensity. When I could still do cardio I was hardcore and hit 199 a few times (which is above my max according to the formula) without Adderall (I have never taken it).
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    I'm not surprised but as long as you feel ok it's fine. If you feel like you're dying than you'll have to dial down the intensity. When I could still do cardio I was hardcore and hit 199 a few times (which is above my max according to the formula) without Adderall (I have never taken it).

Ok, how do I know what my max heart rate is for my size? I have tried looking on the internet but couldn't find anything. Just want to be aware if I am pushing to hard

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    heart rates can be really individual, so just go more by how you are feeling. i have always had a heart rate that shoots up pretty high. if i'm sprinting i can hit 190-192 easily, but i recover quickly and i've never died. (that i know of). that being said, make sure you're listening to your body and don't push yourself if you feel nauseas, lightheaded or really out of breath. also make sure you are staying hydrated because adderall and stimulants generally are pretty dehydrating.

ETA: i think there were some lawsuits involving 5 hour energy and heart attacks while exercising. so be careful out there.
  • singingflutelady
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The generic formula is 220-age to figure out max but it is highly inaccurate. I was 35-38 when hitting 199 even though according to the formula my max was 185-188 during those years.

Edit: I forgot to add that my heart rate drops fast when I stop and no problem recovering and I wasn't nauseous and didn't die ;)
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Back when I was on Adderall briefly, it completely cut my appetite and I was also super focused, highly motivated, and yes my weight dropped significantly because of it. I also did experience a heightened blood pressure, dangerously so, going from a low sitting 102 to 136 and beyond....one night at work I had to take some aspirin just to feel like I wasn't about to have a heart attack. On days I didn't take it, I would stay in bed all day crying for no reason. So I stopped.

If the heart rate and other side effects continue to bother you, I can recommend asking your doctor about another drug called Focalin. I went for the low dose, long acting and got a lot of the positive ADD symptom relief without the sky high heart rate and mood swings.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I was on adderall in high school. Grades went from D's and C's to A's and B's. Super focused on anything. I had no appetite so I lost weight.
    But I also had a lot of mood swings in the beginning and then it settled in on rage. I was pissed off about anything and everything. Also heard voices. Nothing exciting just sounded like someone yelling my name. I was sick of being ignored at the doctor visit and my dosage just being upped so I quit taking it.
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    I've notices some weird mood changes too. I'll keep a close eye on these things :)
  • mom22lyns
    mom22lyns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mimitvass wrote: »
    I am I started back on adderall after having my second baby ... I started back on it about a month ago and I've lose 8 lbs since starting :) I only take half the dose cause I'm not a fan of the hyper feeling I get but even on a low dose I'm losing weight fast :)

What dose do you consider a “low dose”?