Low carb desert

Options
egm249
egm249 Posts: 1 Member
Is Splenda a good choice on a low carb diet to satisfy a sweet tooth?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    It can be a little tricky baking and cooking with splenda. I replace half the sugar for macaroons and amaretti with splenda with good results. However when I try to do the same with a pavlova base, it just never hardens.

I would try splenda in the body of puddings and maybe a fraction in cakes and other baked goods. It won't work for ice cream/sorbets/granitas because chemically it is the sugar that prevents these from freezing too solid. It't won't work for caramel, naturally. If you make flan caramel use sugar in the caramel topping but splenda in the custard itself.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have been experimenting a lot with granulated sucralose (Splenda) and granulated stevia as part or most of the sugar in desserts, like fudge, or as the sweetener in homemade oatmeal, and other recipes. It works ok, but just doesn’t have the same yummy sweetness as real sugar. Plus what acpgee said, good advice. I would start with replacing some sugar (maybe start with 25%?) in a tried and true recipe or two, and note the difference in taste, baking time if applicable, and texture. It doesn’t hurt anything, and if you are able to use it well to replace some calories and still enjoy what you’re eating, then go for it!
  • Agion3
    Agion3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fat bombs made from nut butter.