Alcohol choices when trying to get lean

Options
afua45
afua45 Posts: 11 Member
I'm in the process of shedding some fat and getting lean. In looking in my diet I realized that alcohol plays a part in not achieving this. I can polish off one bottle of white wine over the weekend.

I'm limiting my intake as a treat now.

My question is what are some alcohol choices you a go for?

I've heard Gin/Tonic, Vodka and ice.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I’d stay away from tonic bc of the sugar. I was a vodka club soda girl before. Now I can’t even smell vodka lol. Tequila & club soda with lime juice is my go to now. I also had to just give up the alcohol. I could easily have a few drinks back to back.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Wine in moderation works for me. I get one glass as treat most evenings and it is enough. I do not bring the bottle with me, or it can easily add up, I just get one glass and leave the kitchen
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Just the one glass of sauvignon blanc and I pick good wines but keep sugar content at 2g, so extra dry. I use my food scale and pour no more than 5 oz. that's one serving. The fashionable wine glasses are HUGE!
    Sometimes I'll top it off with Perrier and make it a spritzer. Under 110 cal usually.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you're using this as a treat that I'm not sure why the calories matter. Drink what you normally drink and really enjoy but limit it to one drink
  • closedhisaccount
    closedhisaccount Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    melanin45 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of shedding some fat and getting lean. In looking in my diet I realized that alcohol plays a part in not achieving this. I can polish off one bottle of white wine over the weekend.

I'm limiting my intake as a treat now.

My question is what are some alcohol choices you a go for?

I've heard Gin/Tonic, Vodka and ice.

Suggestions?

Like yourself, I could easily drink a bottle of wine, IN JUST ONE SITTING! If I limit my wine consumption to "dinner only" (2 glass limit), I can keep my intake in-check. A glass of wine (5-6 oz) is going to have HALF the calories of a 16 oz Double IPA, so it's my poison-of-choice.
  • blue_eyed_fi
    blue_eyed_fi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to drink a whole bottle of wine and now I just measure out using a spirit measure so I stay under 200 calories in alcohol. Other alternative is gin (again a measure), slimline tonic and lime wedges. This would be under 110 calories for 2 drinks. I exercise every day so have some extra calories for a drink most evenings. Also I wait until 9:30-10pm to have a drink so have less than if I had one at dinner
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally go for wine with dinner. I try to limit it to weekends only.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    One bottle (~600 calories) isn't a crazy amount spread over 2 or 3 days if it is a treat you really enjoy.

Sometimes I do enjoy wine a lot and sometimes I'm meh. When I've focused on taste and what's enjoyable about it, I've recognized for me part of the enjoyment is the ceremony around it, sharing it with someone, the sense of occasion (e.g. kicking off weekend). I discovered I can enjoy all that, and taste, with mocktails. Some people's idea of a mocktail is what I would call a smoothie, but mine are low calorie- much lower than anything alcoholic. It's fun playing with tart and bitter tastes, and I don't mind using a splash of sprite zero, cider or some such for sweetness. I'm also not a purist about keeping it alcohol free and will use a dash of alcohol based bitters or amaro. Amaro's tend to be bitter and sweet and pretty caloric; despite that I usually come out ahead on calories going this route vs. heavier on alcohol.

My kids get a laugh out of seeing everclear on the kitchen counter when I've made ginger bitters.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I can get 1.5oz clear liquor mini bottles at the store here for less than $2, around 100ish calories.

Tons of choices, and pre-portioned. I can drink them straight, on ice, with a seltzer, diet coke, crystal light, all without adding any extra calories.

The good news is, eating so much less means I don't need much alcohol to feel it's effects.
  • closedhisaccount
    closedhisaccount Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    One bottle (~600 calories) isn't a crazy amount spread over 2 or 3 days if it is a treat you really enjoy.

Sometimes I do enjoy wine a lot and sometimes I'm meh. When I've focused on taste and what's enjoyable about it, I've recognized for me part of the enjoyment is the ceremony around it, sharing it with someone, the sense of occasion (e.g. kicking off weekend). I discovered I can enjoy all that, and taste, with mocktails. Some people's idea of a mocktail is what I would call a smoothie, but mine are low calorie- much lower than anything alcoholic. It's fun playing with tart and bitter tastes, and I don't mind using a splash of sprite zero, cider or some such for sweetness. I'm also not a purist about keeping it alcohol free and will use a dash of alcohol based bitters or amaro. Amaro's tend to be bitter and sweet and pretty caloric; despite that I usually come out ahead on calories going this route vs. heavier on alcohol.

My kids get a laugh out of seeing everclear on the kitchen counter when I've made ginger bitters.

Not all bottles of wine are 600 cal, though...Depends on the ABV% of the wine. Many red wines in California come-in at 14.5% ABV, so you are looking at ~675 cal. Not much of a difference, but if you are a calorie-counting, it COULD make you lose that illustrious "under" for the day...

If you have "Everclear" on your counter, I wish you were MY Mom....;) lol
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Whisky Diet. Vodka Soda with lime. Those are my go-tos when I go out... staying home I can mix it up with some other items.

You're looking at roughly 100 calories for a standard club-style pour/drink with one of these. Using sugary drinks (cranberry, orange juice, pineapple juice, coke, etc.) you're gonna really up the calories.

Basically anything with more than 2 ingredients is out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I'm going to drink alcohol as a treat, I'm going to choose the specific drink based on taste-preference, then manage the portions. During weight loss, and even during maintenance, that has meant anything from gin or rye/bitters with soda (at about 70 calories per portion), to high-ABV DIPA or Imperials (350 calories or so per pint).

For sure, IMO, the most calorie-efficient for alcohol content are the clear spirits, with a no-calorie or super-low-calorie mixer/add-ins to spread out the drinking (vs. doing shots 😉). Another option, if the thought doesn't horrify you, is a wine spritzer with one of the sweeter/fruitier white wines and sparkling water, or a not-super-sweet premade sangria with sparkling water. This won't be appealing to the true wine conoisseur (😉). I like a nice wine as well as most people, but the spritzer is pleasant and refreshing, especially in hot weather, IMO.

It's helped me, while trying to moderate alcohol for calorie reasons, to make it a habit to alternate a serving of alcohol with a serving of water (even sparkling water with a citrus wedge, if you want your friends to think you're still doing the gin & soda 😉), which spreads the alcohol over time while still still keeping me sipping something nice. The extra hydration doesn't hurt, either.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I drink alcohol of some kind everyday, usually about 200-300 cals worth. Don't consider it a "treat;" just a habit that I do not care to stop even though I know that they are totally empty cals lacking in any nutritional value, usually in the form of 2 glasses of wine or 2-3 ozs of hard liquor (usually scotch, bourbon or gin/vermouth), which is a lot less than the 6-8 cans of beer (plus thec6-8 cans of soda) that I use to drink @day before I lost wt and learned how to maintain it.

• onepebble
    onepebble Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I alternate alcoholic drinks with a glass of plain soda water with ice and lime. It’s refreshing and keeps me busy and feels as though I’m joining in when others are drinking.
    I also enjoy lighter beers (Pure Blonde is my fave) which are pretty low in cals. Maybe try the lighter cal options that are available in your area to see if you like them.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of pinot grigio wine so that's usually my drink of choice. And sometimes I'll add sparkling water to it to stretch out the calories. My favourite alcohlic beverage is a dry cider which comes in at a whopping 170 calories 😭 but I just noticed that my favourite brand is now making a cider seltzer drink that's only 100 calories. Guess I'll have to give that a try! Something else I like is rye and Zevia ginger ale. The ginger ale is 0 calories (sweetened with stevia) and I prefer it over other "diet" brands. Only around 100 calories so good value IMO.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you like tonic, try diet tonic. It helps cut the calories.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I've never been in a situation where alcohol consumption has been a key obstacle in working towards my goals but I did not find it hard to cut out. Aside from splitting a bottle of wine on our anniversary in June I don't recall the last time I had a drink.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    How can you take it the razor's edge and still drop it like it's hot. ;) I can have one shot of gin and leave my body. My father is the same way. He doesn't touch a drop of alcohol. His coworkers harangued him one time before a company dinner. He passed out cold and hit his head on the cement sidewalk. They never did that to him again. I'm similar. Some of us just weren't meant for alcohol. Our mileage will always vary.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Tito's and water with xtra lemon and orange.