When did people notice your weight loss

Options
I’ve lost 15lbs (I’m 5’1) and still don’t notice it at all. Maybe I just expected to see some drastic difference by now? Or maybe it’s because I literally live in black leggings, but when did others start to notice your weight loss?

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I’ve been slowly losing weight since last July, gone from SW 135 kg to CW 93 kg, I’m 176 cm tall. I started getting comments in June when I weighed around 100kg.

It’s actually a bit funny because I lost most of the weight prior to lockdown, I’ve been hovering around 100kg since early April, but people act as though I lost ALL the weight during the pandemic...

Have you taken any progress pics? It’s easier for me to see the changes in a side by side comparison than in mirror.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Take progress pictures!! I’ve lost 50+ lbs and sometimes still need a progress picture to remind me how big of a difference it makes.

Don’t rely on other people’s comments as a gauge of how much of a difference your weight loss has made. It’s considered really rude to comment on someone’s weight so most people won’t say anything even if they’ve noticed. Only my most blunt family members have said anything!
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For me, I carry weight in my belly but my face also gets really round. I can start noticing a difference in my face around 10 pounds and others start noticing around 20. I’m only 5’3 so it takes less weight to make a big difference in my appearance.

I’ve lost 21 pounds and I’ve gone down a shirt and pant size, but my belly still looks and feels huge to me. Three pregnancies, 2 csections and a lifelong struggle with belly fat has not been kind to my body or my body perception.

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    It was about 20 lbs for me. Remember that folks that see you every day aren't going to notice as quickly because the change has been slow and steady right in front of them. It's the ones that haven't seen you in a while that will usually notice first...
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think this could vary widely based on your starting weight. Years ago my starting weight was right at the top end of the healthy range, about 160, and people noticed when I lost 15 pounds. This time around I'm much heavier and I don't think the first 15 pounds of loss will be very noticeable.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My athletic build was noticed by my coworkers a few months in. My friends and family havent said anything about it.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've always dressed in a way that would mask weight gain. Thus, it also masked weight loss. So honestly... um, private time ... is when people have noticed lol.

One of the biggest issues with weight gain and loss is we see ourselves all the time and humans are exceptionally bad at seeing slow but long term changes.

Sure wish we could take a weight loss loan... "I promise to eat X calories a day for a year, so can I have the weight loss now?" ... don't I dream it! ha ha
  • Firefly743
    Firefly743 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well I think it depends on where you are starting from. So what may be noticeable to others, may not be noticeable to you, and vice versa. Taking progress photos is a great way to see your progress. Also, try looking in a different mirror - if you are always looking in the same bathroom mirror, your mind is used to seeing the same image. So change it up and see if that helps. And trying on some other clothes may help too (said while wearing my comfy black leggings).

Congrats on your 15lb weight loss! :smile:
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Firefly743 wrote: »
    Well I think it depends on where you are starting from. So what may be noticeable to others, may not be noticeable to you, and vice versa. Taking progress photos is a great way to see your progress. Also, try looking in a different mirror - if you are always looking in the same bathroom mirror, your mind is used to seeing the same image. So change it up and see if that helps. And trying on some other clothes may help too (said while wearing my comfy black leggings).

Congrats on your 15lb weight loss! :smile:

I have a "skinny mirror" in my house that I look in when I need a confidence boost 😂 it must be warped somehow because it makes you look at least 10 pounds lighter, others have noticed it too.